Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PC, they look great and clearly we're seeing a well designed "solution" for dealing with the inherently limited capabilities of a (supposedly) full-range dynamic speaker.

Construction of such a complicated cabinet is beyond is beyond my skill, especially without since I don't have the woodworking equipment necessary to achieve the requisite level of precision. That's unfortunate because if you have to buy ready-made or even assemble-yourself cabinets, cost savings versus completed speakers is mostly lost.

One of these fine days I intend to DIY a pair of speakers but they will be a more standard, multi-driver, closed or vented box units with crossovers.

Forum Regular
    Chad,

Do you have a friend with a SET amp that would let you borrow it for a few days?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Chad,

Do you have a friend with a SET amp that would let you borrow it for a few days?

Yes, my tube tech has a pile of amps including an SE40 like my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I just checked out the designs and the DIY pre-packed version of those horns... It really looks tempting.... That might end up being my first DIY project early next year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    One of these fine days I intend to DIY a pair of speakers but they will be a more standard, multi-driver, closed or vented box units with crossovers.
    Thanks Bill, and you're right, this design has to be one of the best small speakers out there. I agree with you, but I still think that even a pre fabbed package has alot of savings attached to it. It really comes down to just how high up the totem pole they are able to compete. If you hit the boards for full range, guys who have compared all manner of speaker will tell you that these dynamic designs can get up to 3 and 4000.

Either way, Madisound have priced things fairly I think.

If you guys want a simple design that even a man with no arms can make, check out the BIB plans. These have a huge fanbase...

http://www.zillaaudio.com/bib/bib.asp

Forum Regular
    Chad,

Since you mentioned zillaaudio, here is his application of the Alpha Pro 15 inch OB bass FR drivers that I discussed in my other thread. Think of his Boomers in their own separate flat OB baffles and powered by the same PE amp he uses here.

http://zillaaudio.blogspot.com/2010/...r-on-open.html

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thanks Bill, and you're right, this design has to be one of the best small speakers out there. I agree with you, but I still think that even a pre fabbed package has alot of savings attached to it.
    For me. the flat-pack would likely be much cheaper to ship than a fully assembled cabinet... So it should result in some genuine cost savings...

Forum Regular
    Are the flat packs available for the Frugal Horn? Can't find price or how to order. Madisound sells flat packs for their horns.

Ajani
    Are the flat packs available for the Frugal Horn? Can't find price or how to order. Madisound sells flat packs for their horns.
    Yep they are ($250 CAD):

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FH-flatpak.html

Ajani
    Looks like there is a new version of the Frugel Horn:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...-horn-mk3.html

It looks even simpler to build... I wonder whether it really sounds better than the previous version....

That flat pack would be the way to go. The new design is just that...new. The FH's are long proven. I think their new design might help to solve some issues (like build difficulty!) but whether they sounds better would be completely subjective.

The flat pak combined with some decent drivers would be marginal in cost. You would then only need to slap a finishing coat on them...easy.

Forum Regular
    heavy flat packs shipped from BC is gonna cost some jack

Rather than horn, I say OB.

Poultry, would you recommend them expensive Tang Bands?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Tony!! Thanks man. I have been going through a ton of vinyl this morning. I have never had speakers which convey every genre so well. They do justice to rock as well as they do vocal. Anyhow, I could go on and on..
    Cool dude, I hope the pleasure doesnt fade too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppatony
    The point of this rambling is that I will have time to consider our cabling project. I have a pair of AQ king Cobras in right now, and they're great. I would like to imitate something like that. The Risch recipe for silver cables might be the way to go, but the silver will be costly.
    Sweet, just gimme the heads up. I do have a little cash to spend for once in my life so lemme know, we can work on it
    Last edited by audio amateur; 11-02-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Looks like there is a new version of the Frugel Horn:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...-horn-mk3.html

It looks even simpler to build... I wonder whether it really sounds better than the previous version....
    That looks kinda weird going by the design drawing. The 'V' in the design is just space; it doesn't create a transmission line or lead to a vent. Instead, the air goes directly to the bottom to what looks like a simple vent. Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Feanor; 11-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Forum Regular
    a.a.

I want so badly to put my much loved Tang Bands in the OB design below but it's so dang big. If the Zu's don't light my fire I might just do it.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/boomer-tb.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That looks kinda weird going by the design drawing. The 'V' in the design is just space; it doesn't create a transmission line or lead to a vent. Instead, the air goes directly to the bottom to what looks like a simple vent. Am I missing something here?
    You can email Dave at planet10 anytime Feanor. david@planet10-hifi.com

They look alot like the BIB's I linked you guys to. These guys design using math and proper formulas, you can be certain, at least on paper, that they would sound great.

Could those baffles be made of Coran ( as used in solid surface counter tops )? Coran is so dense it should work well for baffles.
    Hey Poultry, I spoke with Dave regarding the supraBaffle on my model.

4 layers of 18mm Baltic Birch plywood. Finished with a textured, marble type of paint which gives the appearance of some type of composite.

They are impressive to say the least. I would suggest the same finishing technique just based solely on looks, if nothing else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information