Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Form over function or sound before style?

I asked this question several years ago on this site but it's been years since so I'm askin' again Sven....

When choosing a set of speakers what role do looks play in your decision? Do you go with "form over function" when buying speaks or are you a no-veneer wood box, exposed drivers kinda guy? My own tastes tend to run more with form before function. I own no "cookie cutter" mains. All my speakers are "orphaned" or weird models. Allisons, Ohm Walsh's (three sets), Epicures & EPI' s of various styles.
    They might not all be considered beautiful.. but they damn sure are "different".

Where do you fall on this subject?

Da Wondering Worfster

JSE
    Me personally, sound before style. Wife, form over function. What I ended up with? I think a happy medium with my Bostons. Ah, marriage!

JSE

With my Rockets I'm enjoying the best of both options. If I had to choose either form or function I would pick function. I could find a way to hide "ugly" speakers, but unpleasing sound can't be masked.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by TinHere
    With my Rockets I'm enjoying the best of both options. If I had to choose either form or function I would pick function. I could find a way to hide "ugly" speakers, but unpleasing sound can't be masked.
    I will also add, more and more internet direct companys make it possible to have both.I read today where av123 makes some cabinets with real wood and a high quailty finish for HSU subs.Other companys such as GR reaserch,ACI,Onix,and Swan to name a few, use good parts with real wood high quality finish at a good price.At the time I bought my speakers I was unaware of these options. I bought my speakers without wood veneer(they were offered with or without),and saved the extra to buy cds.I reckon you could put me in the function camp..

Forum Regular
    Style means very little to me. You should see me dress!
    I'll take sound.
    The only consideration I make is in size. My room is only @ 260 sq. ft. So nothing too big, we all know how important room acoustics are.

Marriage definitely complicates things...

I'm with JSE on this one. Sound for me, appearance for the wife. My first exposure to HiFi was through a pair of Klipschorns and I guarantee you, there is no amount of diamonds or groveling involved that would convince my wife to allow me to put them in the house.

I think for all of us however, no matter how much we may deny it, aesthetics played a role (no matter how small) in our evaluations. Maybe not consciously, but somewhere along the line we said to ourselves "Damn, those are cool looking." It's simply icing on the cake when form and function reconcile to make you happy

Good question Worf!

Forum Regular

At my price range...

...I don't think I have much choice! I am NOT getting any Tiger-Eye (ala 800 Sig) or WilsonGloss paint, for that matter. No, I did not pick my M20s for the fat, blocky stance they have. BUT - they are impeccably finished - may/may not be a different story. Geez... $4K EXTRA for the optional finish on the B&Ws?... you can get some Ethan Allen furniture or Penn Dutch (REAL stuff) for that price...lol. Just me, though...

Best looking? Well, again... the N805 (reasonable range, and "IMO")

Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    I will also add, more and more internet direct companys make it possible to have both.I read today where av123 makes some cabinets with real wood and a high quailty finish for HSU subs.Other companys such as GR reaserch,ACI,Onix,and Swan to name a few, use good parts with real wood high quality finish at a good price.At the time I bought my speakers I was unaware of these options. I bought my speakers without wood veneer(they were offered with or without),and saved the extra to buy cds.I reckon you could put me in the function camp..
    I try to make people aware of the internet option [ok biasedly] and have touted AV123 since their onset. When a company like ACI adopts their product [ELT's for the price point] and HSU avails themselves of their capabilities, they must be doing something right. More companies are getting in line.

Here's a link that might interest you about what is likely to be happening in the future. Read what Mark Schifter has to say, or is this where you got your info? How often do you get to discuss future plans with the president of a company on an open forum? Remarkable.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...0174#post30174
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

I'm gonna cop out here and say sound before style within reason! Just as an example, as much as I love the Dynaudio Evidence Masters, if I ever won or inherited a pair of those things ($80,000 for a pair of speakers is beyond reason for me), they would be a rather poor fit for my room.

I don't mind weird looking or funky dimensions, so long as they don't require tearing down a wall to get them into the house! But, some functionality is necessary, like keeping the drivers out of view and the speaker well anchored so that the speakers don't get the short end of things when my curious doggie decides to play with those weird looking boxes that have invaded "his" house!

Forum Regular

Function over form within limits

If it is really ugly I won't have any fun looking at it. So, I have a pair that look...well...nice but boring (Audiovector M1 Signature) and a pair that looks kinda cool, but still sounds good (Mirage Omni 50). Now the Mirage are no comparison to the M1s, but they are a great bargain for the money and manage to do the huge soundstage thing with good, albeit not pinpoint imaging. But, hey, there is only a $2k price difference. I still really enjoy listening to the Mirages...kind of fun.

No MBLs or other wierd things...I've got to look at them, and couldn't enjoy the music if I was laughing or feeling stupid if friends stop over.

Space

The aliens have landed!

Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    No MBLs or other wierd things...I've got to look at them, and couldn't enjoy the music if I was laughing or feeling stupid if friends stop over.

Space
    With a screen name like yours I thought you would appreciate the suborbital aesthetics of speakers like these! Obviously, these are examples where form and function have got compatibility issues.

The MBL Reference

Avantgarde Trio + Basshorn (obviously not designed with HDTV in mind)

The O'Heocha D2 (my all time favorite for flat out freakery)

Forum Regular

Spacedeck as in Nottingham Analogue

The turntable I was going to buy twice before I got sideswiped by a deal on a Linn, then a VPI. I still want one, and now it too late to change my identity.

Okay, a Spacedeck is weird, but not ugly in my book, and a masterpiece in simple overkill engineering. Besides, Tom is a complete nut. A genius. Avantgarde was on my UGLY list. Sorry, recycled tuba cones don't cut it.

To each his own. I do like the "flair" of my stylish Audioprism Debut II and Mantissa though. They are pretty in an understated way.

Space

Forum Regular

Wife Requests Form for a Change

Glad to see this thread. Ironically, Im living it right now.

The wife recently requested I get rid of my B&W 301s and LM1s.
    She said the 301s are big black boxes on black stands and they clash
    with the decor!

Her idea of form is the Bose Acoustimass white cubes!
    Although I agree that they are closer to invisible... I just can't get myself to go there.

I tried my B&W LM1s as fronts but they were lacking.

IF you were in my situation, what setup would you recommend to a poor soul like myself? They can't be black or big.

jadgo2

Quote Originally Posted by Jadog2
    Her idea of form is the Bose Acoustimass white cubes!
    Although I agree that they are closer to invisible... I just can't get myself to go there.

I tried my B&W LM1s as fronts but they were lacking.

IF you were in my situation, what setup would you recommend to a poor soul like myself? They can't be black or big.

jadgo2
    Yeek! That's mental cruelty in my book! But, if you're looking for alternatives to the Acoustimass cubes, the high end stores in my area almost all stock the Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Micro satellites. They're comparable in price to the Bose AM systems, but have much better build quality and measured frequency response. Plus, you can order them in eight different colors.

http://www.roundsound.com/products/micro.html

Boston, Klipsch, Energy, and Paradigm offer smallish alternatives as well that cost a lot less than those Bose AM systems and sound much better. Those alternatives are available in woodgrain and I believe that the Paradigm Cinema system is available in white.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Yeek! That's mental cruelty in my book! But, if you're looking for alternatives to the Acoustimass cubes, the high end stores in my area almost all stock the Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Micro satellites. They're comparable in price to the Bose AM systems, but have much better build quality and measured frequency response. Plus, you can order them in eight different colors.
    NICCCCCE!
    The little lady gave 'em the thumbs up.

I priced it out at a local dealer website. Approx. $1,500 for 5 speakers plus sub.

Thanks for the suggestion!

jadog2

Forum Regular

Cool Sound

Personally I would take function over form but that is just my personal tastes. When the lights are down low and my eyes are closed it is only the sound that I am hearing. The band that is playing in my head is an illusion. Do understand the wife pleasing, as my friend said they are pretty big speakers so I decided to pay for the fancy appearance to appease the future wife or girlfriend. Now there is a man thinking ahead, but for me looks or sound give me the sound.

Oh if those EPI/Epicure speakers are lonely my door is always open. Those EPI 201A sure looked boxy,

AR Newbie Registered Member

best of both

I picked up the B&W CM2's and I think they look incredible in maple wood veneer and those brushed aluminum baffles. Plus the sound... oh the sound! I think they actually add something special to the furniture in my living room.

Forum Regular
    Worfman,

Solid question.

We cherish our systems as sitting down with them is an experience to us. I believe that our sytems should be a display; a showcase, if you will, of our hard earned money.

Having said that, my opinion is that the speakers should compliment the decor of the surrounding environment.

But, the sonic quality of a speaker should never not be considered and should always be the primary criterion for selecting a speaker; as said before, you can't mask crappy sound.

THOB

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by the hand of boredom
    Worfman,
    But, the sonic quality of a speaker should never not be considered and should always be the primary criterion for selecting a speaker; as said before, you can't mask crappy sound.
    THOB
    Agreed.... thats why I find it difficult finding a speaker that blends in to the surroundings that has GOOD Sonic qualities.

Sure... if your a HT guy then this is much easier to live with. But if you prefer 2 channel and others in the family listen to HT... you have a challenge. Lots of people have to deal with this 'design' challenge if they place their speakers in the Family Room or Living Room.
    Im no longer a bachelor and even if I had beautiful (IMHO) mains ... they still might be too large for the wife. It all depends on the wife AND the room size AND style of decor you have going on.

For the sake of this discussion: I would rather get the small speakers for the HT in the Living room. Then for my dedicated sound room(but a dream) : I would place the biggest, ugliest, most sonic speaker I could afford in there for my 2 channel fix.

If you like the Gallo's, you'll love these.

Before you sign off on the Gallo's, check out these Focal-JMLab's that another board member turned me on to.

http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/si...load/index.htm

They look pretty sweet and Focal has an enviable rep behind it. Only downside is the sub may not be big enough for a large room. Check it out.

Forum Regular

Thumbs up

If your seriously into getting the best sound from your setup. How they look should come last. If you want some thing that looks good, buy a vase or a picture. When your sitting watching a movie or listening to music you can't see sound. But that just my opinion.

~C.C.~

Talking Another vote for Sound over Style

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    ... Do you go with "form over function" when buying speaks or are you a no-veneer wood box, exposed drivers kinda guy ...
    Of course, these days I have a more-or-less dedicated listening room, otherwise WAF might prevail.

Also I have to consider placement options. Fortuantely I have enough leeway to place my Magneplanar MMGs the requisite 3" from the wall.

Cool All you guys have some pretty interesting takes on this....

I can see that no-one would ever advocate "form over function". THOB I guess you're right, a beautiful speaker can't mask crappy sound no matter how beautiful it is. The optimal thing I guess is to get the closest melding (gettin Vulcan in my old age) of the two as possible. I'm happy when a manufacturer "get's it". Hsu was/is selling plenty of their VTF-3 subs but they listened to their customers and potential customer's and design a VTF-3 with good wood veneer that any wife could love... Still great sound, better look.

Form does matter unless you've a dedicated listening room or one understanding partner.

Da Worfster

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I can see that no-one would ever advocate "form over function". THOB I guess you're right, a beautiful speaker can't mask crappy sound no matter how beautiful it is. The optimal thing I guess is to get the closest melding (gettin Vulcan in my old age) of the two as possible. I'm happy when a manufacturer "get's it". Hsu was/is selling plenty of their VTF-3 subs but they listened to their customers and potential customer's and design a VTF-3 with good wood veneer that any wife could love... Still great sound, better look.

Form does matter unless you've a dedicated listening room or one understanding partner.

Da Worfster

A lesser looking speaker will start to look very good if it sounds good...a great looking speaker will look pretty bad if it sounds bad...same applies to women.

Forum Regular
    Like many others I'll take function over form. With my nOrhs, for example, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information