AR Newbie Registered Member

Floorstading speakers for under $600

I was wondering what good floorstanding speakers i could get for under $600. I was looking at infinity beta 40's that i could find at $400. I am focused on floorstanding speakers but any suggestions for any speakers would be great. I like to listen to music, rock mostly, but i am huge into watching movies so i want something with good high and lows and some great mids. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesda3
    I was wondering what good floorstanding speakers i could get for under $600. I was looking at infinity beta 40's that i could find at $400. I am focused on floorstanding speakers but any suggestions for any speakers would be great. I like to listen to music, rock mostly, but i am huge into watching movies so i want something with good high and lows and some great mids. Thanks.
    You can get the new Paradigm Monitor 7's for $640, and it performs like a speaker costing much more. Paradigm keeps the cost down by making every part of the speaker in house including the drivers.

frenchmon

PDN
    Forum Regular
    You might do better buying a pair of preowned floor standers such as the B&W DM603 S3's or S2's, PSB T45's, etc. These are both considered 2-1/2 way towers. There happens to be a pair of T45 towers available at audiogon.com for $499.00 right now. This site has probably the largest selection of preowned high end audio components and loudspeakers on the net. Most of the sellers are audio people that you can trust unlike an ebay or other general auction site. I would stay away from the mass market floor standers sold at the Circuit Cities, Best Buys, etc. Brands such as PSB, NHT, Paradigm, KEF, Epos, B&W, & Energy are well made speakers. Of course when you buy at these sites, you can not listen first. The Paradigm Monitor 7's mentioned by frenchmon above for $640.00/pr sounds like a super deal. Their specs look great: 94 dB 8ohm speakers makes them easy to drive for example.

good high and lows and some great mids.
    Sounds a but like SVI no?

Check out www.audiophileliquidator.net they have the PSB Image T-45 floor standers for $609 a pair. The Infinity Beta 40's are decent sounding speakers for $400. There are better for a little more money. But if you like the sound of the Beta's go for it.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    There are a couple of options here for you:

http://av123.com/index.php?option=co...d=21&Itemid=37

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrider
    There are a couple of options here for you:

http://av123.com/index.php?option=co...d=21&Itemid=37
    I'm very interested in a professional review of the new speakers from Emotiva/AV123 on that site. The sure look good. These may be out of his price range...the price on that site is for a single speaker, not a pair.

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    The x series is not out of his range. The prices are clearly stated as "per pair".

Ajani
    For $600 I'd go for the Monitor Audio BR5....

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...e=8&product=57

Forum Regular
    At Audio Advisor:

Energy RC-30 ($600 a pair)

PSB Alpha T1 ($600 a pair)

Sometimes you can get AA to give you a deal. They will often match comeptitors prices.

Both energy and PSB make some nice speakers for the money. Both are well regarded for rock music. I am considering the PSB Image bookshelves myself right now.

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier

Klipsch?

If you're a rocker, you should put Klipsch on your list. You can pick up a second-hand pair of Reference towers for about $600 and they will blow your doors down. The first surround-sound system I put together was for a friend of mine with deep pockets who wanted the loudest, most in-your-face system he could buy. We went down to GG, spent the whole day listening, and came away with Klipsch RF7, RC7, and RB5 all driven by Parasound amps. That was one awesome setup. Now Klipsch is not for everyone, but if you're a former head-banger, there's little else that compares at the price.

If you can't bring yourself to buy used and you have no choice but to buy from CC/BB, then you should also include the Polk Monitor series, although I would prefer Athena speakers - easy to drive, modern-look, and very capable. If you can do mail order, the possibilities are many, and you should probably start at Audio Advisor. They are knowledgeable, have a liberal return policy, and have an excellent selection, especially if you have a more refined musical taste. I still think you should give Klipsch a listen, though. You might like them.

Suspended
    I recently picked up Dynaudio B-stock (used at the cunsumer electronics show) Audience 42s for $550. You did not mention what you would use to drive them but the danes are 4ohm and want some power. I set them up as mains with a modded Stratos amp and the performance blew me away. I started to wonder why I have the 82s...oh yeah, it's the Bass.

JSE
    For Rock on a $600 budget?

I would agree with nightflier and check out Klipsch and Athena.

Great rock speakers.

Thread Information