Forum Regular

Finding a Quality 2.1 System

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new set of speakers. I was thinking that a 2.1 computer speaker system would be best for me. My main concern is the quality of the audio output. I also want to take build quality and aesthetics into account. I have some questions and would appreciate if someone could help me out.

1. Any opinions on the Edifier S330D Multimedia Sound System? I have a $250 limit and reviews seem high on these speakers.

2. Any alternative suggestions? Something that sounds better for the same price. Or any popular choices out there?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey Mr. Battalion, welcome to Audio Review.

I might get flamed from a few people here for bringing up Bose speakers, but I have an older version of the Companion 5 speakers that I use for audio in my home office. As long as the sub-woofer is properly placed they are quite nice for such a small system. I usually have them hooked up to an iPod dock and they get the job done nicely. The MSRP is higher than your budget but I found them on sale and I think I paid about $250 for them, but it was about eight years ago.

Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Powered Speaker System - Computer Speakers - Computer Sound Systems - Bose Multimedia Speakers

I haven't hear the speakers that you're asking about so I can't help you with those I'm afraid, but wait around awhile and you're sure to get some other advice.

Cheers!

Forum Regular
    I have noticed the general negative stigma towards Bose speakers. Thank you for the recommendation although the set does look slightly too expensive for me.

I have heard good things about the Audioengine 2 speakers although I am concerned about the lack of a separate dedicated sub-woofer. Will my music listening be negatively affected?

Any other favorite 2.1 systems?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    To this day the best 2.1 computer setup I've heard has been the Klipsch Pro Media which one can generally find on ebay for well under your budget.

That's not saying much though.

Even the best computer mini-systems are generally bested by a receiver and a moderate pair of bookshelves or monitors.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    To this day the best 2.1 computer setup I've heard has been the Klipsch Pro Media which one can generally find on ebay for well under your budget.

That's not saying much though.

Even the best computer mini-systems are generally bested by a receiver and a moderate pair of bookshelves or monitors.
    Could a receiver and a pair of bookshelves that sound better be put together for around the same price?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattalion View Post
    Could a receiver and a pair of bookshelves that sound better be put together for around the same price?
    If you bought "used" goods. Personally, I would budget $50 for a used receiver of some years but a good brand and $200 for speakers. I think most combos of Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/HK and Kef/Paradigm/B&W/certain JBL would outdo any prepackaged, new product. That may take some work finding however...

That's how I got started and the disease has gotten worse ever since

Here:

Onkyo TX SR500 AV Receiver EXTRA CLEAN ! | eBay

and

Paradigm 9se mk3 speakers bi-wire floorstanding | eBay

Boom! There ya go...don't even haggle...just buy 'em now. You'll get much better mids, crisper but not painful highs and significant lows. You could, down the road, buy a subwoofer if you listen to extremely bass-heavy music (in which case NO computer mini-package will ever please you anyway)

Have fun!

I was going to say myself I have seen Paradigm mini monitors and the speakers that bobsticks is refering to go for very cheap prices on Ebay and they will do better than any PC speaker system out there. Although I have heard good things about the Audioengine speakers for what they bring to the table in their price range.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Charm Thai™
    Check out Swans multimedia speakers. They have some different options and I've generally heard good things about them. I must say I haven't liked their home stereo speakers but i've never heard the computer speakers before so it may be worth a shot.

I just heard my friends Audio Engines and they were surprisingly good. They had good bass, pacing and detail. They were shy in texture and weight, but that is expected. I thought they were kick ass. We played them through a new Macbook which sounded ok, but when we plugged them into a Playstation One (cost $6) they were amazingly good. I think you should pass on any computer sub; they usually sounded muddy. Once you get your speakers, check out Nuforce for head amps and DACs (that is my next purchase for my computer set up)

Good Luck!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I personally have Klipsch and they are the best 2.1 speakers I have ever heard. I also have the Logitech z623s and the Klipsch beat them by a mile and they are both around the same price.

Forum Regular

Daber Audio Monitor 3

Check out Daber Audio. His Monitor 3's with one of his subs would be a pretty awesome combinations at a very reeasonable price.

Forum Regular
    I picked up a set of AudioEngine 2 speakers for listening to music on my computer. I have been very pleased with the amount of detail present in these speakers. Bass is good for size as well.

I ordered refurbished speakers directly from the factory. Nice price break and they look new in every way.

Good luck,TR

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I was going to say myself I have seen Paradigm mini monitors and the speakers that bobsticks is refering to go for very cheap prices on Ebay and they will do better than any PC speaker system out there. Although I have heard good things about the Audioengine speakers for what they bring to the table in their price range.
    Audioengine's powered speakers belong near the top in the "best bang for the buck" argument. They are very accurate speakers with plenty of slam. You'd have to go DIY or get lucky at a garage sale to beat the value.

Thread Information