Thread: Energy???

Forum Regular

Energy???

Hey just went to the Energy speaker site and noticed that they have a Conniseur Reference line. I have not noticed this before so could anyone tell me if this is new??? I really liked the RC-10 and the RC-LCR. Anybody here know what the msrp is for either one of these??? I looked for a "New" icon but did not find any. Well thanks once again for your time. If you know anything about this line by all means chime in.
    Phil
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The line is here http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ine.php?id=264

Energy typically offers what some of the bigger name Canadian companies offer but for half the price. The Veritas 2.4 is very nice -- a little coldin the treble but impressive for the most part in that price range in my view.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The line is here http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ine.php?id=264

Energy typically offers what some of the bigger name Canadian companies offer but for half the price. The Veritas 2.4 is very nice -- a little coldin the treble but impressive for the most part in that price range in my view.
    So you're saying Audio Products International is not a big name in Canadian speakers?????
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    So you're saying Audio Products International is not a big name in Canadian speakers?????
    I don't think RGA meant that API wasn't a big group, he means that Energy offers very good sound for a lesser price compared to others in the Group, and other Canadian manufacturers in some cases IMHO.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I give credit whereit is due -- heaven it's just an opinion based off of listening tests.

While I would not BUY the Energy C9, for $1098.00 CDn aside from it's slightly weaker build quality I don't see spending nearly 3 times that for the Paradigm Studio 100V3 -- I sure as hell don't HEAR why I should. The Totem Arro in my A/B session with the C5 got royally waxed in the midrange had more bass depth could play louder had a more open presentation and didn;t lose ground in the upper frequencies. Considering the Arro is about double the price -- it seems people really want to spend a lot of cash on a nice wood finish. I think i like Energy more because the "like" competition has the same "kinda" sound for way more money and for way more money you better not be getting the same "kinda" sound!!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Sometimes I wonder if RGA just makes this up...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I give credit whereit is due -- heaven it's just an opinion based off of listening tests.

While I would not BUY the Energy C9, for $1098.00 CDn aside from it's slightly weaker build quality I don't see spending nearly 3 times that for the Paradigm Studio 100V3 -- I sure as hell don't HEAR why I should. The Totem Arro in my A/B session with the C5 got royally waxed in the midrange had more bass depth could play louder had a more open presentation and didn;t lose ground in the upper frequencies. Considering the Arro is about double the price -- it seems people really want to spend a lot of cash on a nice wood finish. I think i like Energy more because the "like" competition has the same "kinda" sound for way more money and for way more money you better not be getting the same "kinda" sound!!
    The C-5 is $750 USD and the Arro is sold at my local dealer for $850 cdn. Hardly double the price. When I a/b these speakers, (and the C-7) it was clear the Energy's had a relatively thin midrange, while not bad, it was completely outclassed by the Arro. The Energy's had much more bass, but it was boomy, and there was a really noticeable graininess and sibilance at the top end, like it's trying to fake being detailed. The Arro is just a superior sounding speaker. It's really not even close. You keep going on about the cost of looks etc, for the Arro, the cost of the veneer wouldn't be much more than the cost of cheap vinyl and spray paint. Vacuum presses make speaker veneering pretty quick and painless.

My local dealer has been quite successful at luring people away from Home Theater lines like the Energy and Paradigm build when people are looking for good musical speakers, Totem, PMC, and Genelec are usually what they sell.. They've keep Energy around for 2 reasons: 1) customers like the spacey look the silver gives because it matches their DLP or Plasma TV's
    2) It gives another alternative to the Paradigm Monitor line they carry. Their rooms are setup with Energy and Paradigm together, and they sell about 3 to 1 in favor of the Monitor line (which is kind of surprising since I find them incredibly equal sounding). If it wasn't for the excellent Veritas and the smaller HTIB things (API pretty much makes the best HTIB's IMO) they have they'd drop them because they just aren't competitive enough...their words, not mine.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The C-5 is $750 USD and the Arro is sold at my local dealer for $850 cdn. Hardly double the price. When I a/b these speakers, (and the C-7) it was clear the Energy's had a relatively thin midrange, while not bad, it was completely outclassed by the Arro. The Energy's had much more bass, but it was boomy, and there was a really noticeable graininess and sibilance at the top end, like it's trying to fake being detailed. The Arro is just a superior sounding speaker. It's really not even close. You keep going on about the cost of looks etc, for the Arro, the cost of the veneer wouldn't be much more than the cost of cheap vinyl and spray paint. Vacuum presses make speaker veneering pretty quick and painless.

My local dealer has been quite successful at luring people away from Home Theater lines like the Energy and Paradigm build when people are looking for good musical speakers, Totem, PMC, and Genelec are usually what they sell.. They've keep Energy around for 2 reasons: 1) customers like the spacey look the silver gives because it matches their DLP or Plasma TV's
    2) It gives another alternative to the Paradigm Monitor line they carry. Their rooms are setup with Energy and Paradigm together, and they sell about 3 to 1 in favor of the Monitor line (which is kind of surprising since I find them incredibly equal sounding). If it wasn't for the excellent Veritas and the smaller HTIB things (API pretty much makes the best HTIB's IMO) they have they'd drop them because they just aren't competitive enough...their words, not mine.
    Hey Kex do you know if the Conniseur Reference Line is new? Have you had a chance to hear them?? If so, how did the RC-10 and the RC-LCR sound??? The Veritas line is way out of my price range so I dont even bother with that. Not sure where the Conniseur Reference Line will come in price wise either but I hope it is competative. If the original Conniseur Line is on par with the Paradigm Monitor line then I suppose the Conniseur Reference line is more on par with the Studio line as well. Therefore, I guess the Veritas line is on par with the Paradigm Signature line.....hhmmmm...........am I correct??? I am just now learning more about Energy speakers and I need some clarification. Kex you seem to know the Energy speakers well. Please clarify.
    Phil

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

You're trying to make things too simple here...

Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    Hey Kex do you know if the Conniseur Reference Line is new?
    Yes, as I recall, it's the new Connoisseur line made in China...I think the original Connoisseur's are being discontinued soon...Throwing "reference" at the end of the name makes them sound better I guess. I don't know much else about them, never heard them.

Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    Not sure where the Conniseur Reference Line will come in price wise either but I hope it is competative. If the original Conniseur Line is on par with the Paradigm Monitor line then I suppose the Conniseur Reference line is more on par with the Studio line as well.
    Therefore, I guess the Veritas line is on par with the Paradigm Signature line
    You can't really do that. Most companies don't make speakers to compete with other companies' product lines. The Veritas line has some models worse than the some Studio line models, some better than the Signatures...They can get to be quite costly though.
    You can't shop for speakers by looking at prices and reading reviews though or you'll never know for sure if you made the right purchase. Everybody thinks their speakers are better than brand X, and one person could like the Studio's more than the Veritas while the next guy thought the opposite.

Look at the difference in opinions betweeen RGA and me in the Arro vs. C-5 comparison. I'd be willing to bet my house that the majority of people would prefer the Arro because that's what I hear, I'm sure RGA feels the same about the C-5, and to his ears that's probably the right decision.

Forum Regular
    True speaker interpretation is extremely subjective. To each his own. Well, thanks for the info. Have a good 4th.
    Phil

Phil what did you think of the Tyler speakers?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Phil what did you think of the Tyler speakers?
    No, not yet but plan to maybe Wednesday or Thursday after the 4th. That is, if Ty has the time to work this in to his schedule. I was hoping to before the 4th but things have really been crazy around here. I will be sure to let you know what I find out. Have a good 4th.
    Phil

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well the Arro was $1600.00 and the last time I was in they were $1100.00Cad. The C5 is $600.00Cad and the C3 is $400.00Cad at A&B Sound. the prices go up and down like a yo-yo. with sales galore. A&B Sound is a very big west-coast retailer that is in bg financial trouble and in receivership.

I spoke to the manager here and Totem sells badly whioch is why the prices hae been slashed and slashed and still sells badly. The average GUY does not want small speakersto play rock music on - and the Arro is completley outclasses IMO by the Enrgy C series and it is int he midrange and vocals where the arro loses ground in my listening sessions.

The Arro is ok but the speaker largely sounds like a boom and sizzle product with a rather hot tweeter and bass that one says "coole bass for the size of the speaker" but the midrange sounds incredibly pinched and peaky. The Energy's treble is no world beater for sure it is also a little bright and unrefined and the bass is a little sloppy -- but it is also open sounding and doesn't sound constipated -- neither one of them are going to be in my house but I'd rather pay less money. The only Totem I think is worth the money and offers good bang for the buck is the Rainmaker. And even here it's not the best for me in this price range. I have listened to Totem for nearly as long as I've been interested in audio. Whether it is the veneer or not makes no difference - I just think they tend to be 50% too much almost right across the board. The Dreamcatcher system is grossly overpriced the Mite is nice but $800.00Cad...now lower but it was that price at A&B wyhen they picked up the line to me is absolutely a total ripoff. After hearing the mani-2 at around $5k I roll my eyes.

We'll have to just disagee on Totem Kex - I know you like them and I know others like em too but in my direct comparisons I have been underwhelmed and they always seem to get beat by something that is a lot less money.

Forum Regular
    How do you like the Dynaudio Audience series vs. Totems RGA? ...... It appears only one dealer in Vancouver for Dynaudio?

Thread Information