Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bfalls
  • 1 Post By Feanor

Thread: Deciding Between two Amazing Speakers

Forum Regular Registered Member

Deciding Between two Amazing Speakers

Hi guys,

I've been reading the forums for ages but this is actually my first post. I am having a hard time deciding between two amazing speakers. A pair of Beolab 8000 MK2 or a pair of B&W CM9.

Both of them are roughly the same price, I 've been in love with B&O Design from ages, but sound wise, I am not sure if it will be the best decision.

They will be connected for a little while to a Sonos AMP and used mainly to listen to music, since I don't have a room good enough for a neat HT. Source will vary between the regular Spotify (ugly I know) , Dezeer HD and HD Audio in the form of Flac Files.

So guys what do you think?

Thanks

VJS

Suspended
    Welcome to AR. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those models, my prejudice leans toward B&W between the two.

Trust your ears. Buy the ones that sound the best to you.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Of the two I would go with the B&W. Although B&O has been around for ages and have many unique systems, I don't see them as a speaker company. I see them as a much better than average audio company, with a focus more toward aesthetic design than audio nirvana. I don't think you'll ever see B&O in the recording studio, where B&W 801s (Matrix and Nautilus) are seen frequently.

That said. As JoeE said, trust your ears.
    Mr Peabody likes this.

Yup, I am getting more and more inclined towards the B&W, but as you said, the aesthetic of B&O are unbeatable... As a last point of decision I will drive to a near by Magnolia to test the CM9s again..let see if they fill my heart with Joy

Being that they are very different designs I would concentrate on what room you are putting them in to see which design works better for the room and assotiated equipment. Plus your own listening tastes factor in

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Just got back from Magnolia, amazingly...the results were weird...
    I liked the CM8 more than the CM9, for some reason they have more...body...
    On the other hand, i listened to Martin Logan Motion 40, and has better highs than the B&W....so now..I am even more confused

A really BIG difference between the Beolab 8000 Mk2 and the B&W CM9 is that the former is an active or self-powered speaker while the latter is not. An "active" speaker has a built-in power amplifier whereas the a regular speaker does not. Active speaker needs only a preamp to drive them, whereas a non-self-powered speaker needs a power amp, i.e. you need some sort of preamp/power amp combo, an integrated amp, or a receiver.

Is it the Sonos Connect:Amp that you have, (like THIS)? If so either the Beolab or the B&W is an option. The Connect:Amp has a built-in 55 wpc power amp which will be plenty to power B&W's in a small room, but it also line-level outputs to drive the Beolab.

I note the B&W CM9's are large speakers so just maybe the Beolabs would be a better choice in a small room.

Suspended
    I liked what I heard of the Motions. BB does have a return policy, although it varies and confusing, buy what you think sounds best to you and take them for a listen in your room.

Is a rather big room, open space actually, I guess I will have to get an AMP to power the BW so that is an Extra 400. I have not listen to the BO in a long time but for what I remember they sounded great

Thread Information