• 12-08-2015, 05:49 AM
    VictorJS
    Deciding Between two Amazing Speakers
    Hi guys,

I've been reading the forums for ages but this is actually my first post. I am having a hard time deciding between two amazing speakers. A pair of Beolab 8000 MK2 or a pair of B&W CM9.

Both of them are roughly the same price, I 've been in love with B&O Design from ages, but sound wise, I am not sure if it will be the best decision.

They will be connected for a little while to a Sonos AMP and used mainly to listen to music, since I don't have a room good enough for a neat HT. Source will vary between the regular Spotify (ugly I know) , Dezeer HD and HD Audio in the form of Flac Files.

So guys what do you think?

Thanks

VJS
  • 12-08-2015, 06:09 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Welcome to AR. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those models, my prejudice leans toward B&W between the two.
  • 12-08-2015, 07:21 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Trust your ears. Buy the ones that sound the best to you.
  • 12-08-2015, 08:41 AM
    bfalls
    Of the two I would go with the B&W. Although B&O has been around for ages and have many unique systems, I don't see them as a speaker company. I see them as a much better than average audio company, with a focus more toward aesthetic design than audio nirvana. I don't think you'll ever see B&O in the recording studio, where B&W 801s (Matrix and Nautilus) are seen frequently.

That said. As JoeE said, trust your ears.
  • 12-08-2015, 08:58 AM
    VictorJS
    Yup, I am getting more and more inclined towards the B&W, but as you said, the aesthetic of B&O are unbeatable... As a last point of decision I will drive to a near by Magnolia to test the CM9s again..let see if they fill my heart with Joy :)
  • 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
    harley .guy07
    Being that they are very different designs I would concentrate on what room you are putting them in to see which design works better for the room and assotiated equipment. Plus your own listening tastes factor in
  • 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM
    VictorJS
    Just got back from Magnolia, amazingly...the results were weird...
    I liked the CM8 more than the CM9, for some reason they have more...body...
    On the other hand, i listened to Martin Logan Motion 40, and has better highs than the B&W....so now..I am even more confused :(
  • 12-08-2015, 11:46 AM
    Feanor
    A really BIG difference between the Beolab 8000 Mk2 and the B&W CM9 is that the former is an active or self-powered speaker while the latter is not. An "active" speaker has a built-in power amplifier whereas the a regular speaker does not. Active speaker needs only a preamp to drive them, whereas a non-self-powered speaker needs a power amp, i.e. you need some sort of preamp/power amp combo, an integrated amp, or a receiver.

Is it the Sonos Connect:Amp that you have, (like THIS)? If so either the Beolab or the B&W is an option. The Connect:Amp has a built-in 55 wpc power amp which will be plenty to power B&W's in a small room, but it also line-level outputs to drive the Beolab.

I note the B&W CM9's are large speakers so just maybe the Beolabs would be a better choice in a small room.
  • 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I liked what I heard of the Motions. BB does have a return policy, although it varies and confusing, buy what you think sounds best to you and take them for a listen in your room.
  • 12-08-2015, 02:37 PM
    VictorJS
    Is a rather big room, open space actually, I guess I will have to get an AMP to power the BW so that is an Extra 400. I have not listen to the BO in a long time but for what I remember they sounded great