IRG

Dayton powered subs

Are these subs from parts express http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=49813177 a very good value, or is this something I should avoid. I've heard their kits are very good for the money but they are quite a bit more than these. Also the 12" model: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=49813177

I am looking at replacing my aging (almost 6 years) JBL PB-10. Also looking at the budget Velodyne, VX-10. Either one of these good for casual HT and the occassional CD? It will not be needed in a large room, nor will it get turned up very loud, very often. COmments, thoughts, others I should consider in the $250 and under?

I wouldn't get either of those subs they look pretty cheap.You'd be better off going with the Dayton DIY's.
    For 250$ you'll have trouble finding a quality sub unless you build your own.

IRG
    No, they are not pretty but not many subs are. I am considering some Orb audio speakers, and their matching sub might be theway to go, about $250 with the speakers. I'll look at the DIYsubs too. They have a special on a 15" DIYsub for $269. It is probably more sub than is appropriate for my room size. A solid 8 or 10" will meet my needs.

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    IMO I think either Dayton 10" or 12" subs would possibly work in your situation, since you say you don't need big subs with their gains turned up anyway.

I own two of Dayton's previous 10" models that were just discontinued in favor of the newest models you have linked. I know they're cheap and a far cry from entry-level subs from Velodyne, SVS, or Hsu, etc., but I too have a small room with limited space. Since my SET amp is only 8 WPC, I can't blast my system, even with 91dB efficient Triangle towers. Once my two subs were positioned and adjusted accordingly, they don't sound half bad for what they are, reaching down to 25Hz each (the newest equivalent only goes down to 30Hz), good enough for my many pipe organ recordings.

Hopefully someday I'll get a small SVS, but for now my cheap Daytons do a decent job without the one-note boom (when proper placement and level/crossover adjustments are made to match your mains). So I think you could consider the latest 10" and 12" Daytons, or go with a DIY Dayton if you want.

Good luck.
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Forum Regular
    I noticed today on Outlaw's site that they have a 150 watt 8" sub for just a tad bit more than your 250 budget at 299.

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    I noticed today on Outlaw's site that they have a 150 watt 8" sub for just a tad bit more than your 250 budget at 299.
    I never knew they had subs. A decent looking sub, spec wise too. It will be one for me to consider. Thanks, irg

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    No, they are not pretty but not many subs are. I am considering some Orb audio speakers, and their matching sub might be theway to go, about $250 with the speakers. I'll look at the DIYsubs too. They have a special on a 15" DIYsub for $269. It is probably more sub than is appropriate for my room size. A solid 8 or 10" will meet my needs.
    I wasn't saying they were not pretty but pretty cheap. But obviously if you don't need your sub to hit hard I guess they will be fine. You could get a good sub driver and amp for 250 bucks. MDF wood is reasonably cheap (price wise). Which would not bring the total to a huge amount. You need a jig saw , a few screws, wood glue and that's about it. Obviously you may want to varnish and paint it too. Beware of the Thiele/Small specs of each driver and build the box accordingly.

IRG
    I gotcha now. I have been doing a few "projects" this summer, and I don't think a subwoofer is going to make it this year! It would be fun to try one sometime. The more I read up on the Orb subwoofer, the more I am liking that thing. I like the concept, especially mirrored to those speakers. A more musical 8" sub (that still seems to reach pretty low) is more appealing to me than a 12" or 15" that can shake the house and peel paint. I don't need that or want it. I also like the size of the Orb sub, 12" box, pretty cool for my needs in this room. It looks nice too, something the Daytons certainly lack.

yes the sub does look appealing however those sats just don't do it. Have you ever audtioned them? I'm kind of incredulous to the fact that they can put out good sound. Are you planing on getting just the sub or the satellites also?

IRG
    My mind could change (it has aready) but I am thinking of the 5 satellites and the sub for $750. WIthout the sub it is $500. Here is why I am liking it on paper (real world sound is another matter) : 1) Great size for my needs. I guess you have to see this living room to understand, but even smaller bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall would look dumb and a bit too imposing. As it is now, I love my standmount speakers on my stands - but they are really too beefy in size for the room to work. These Obr speakers eliminate that problem. And I like their looks - come in 2 colors, stainless steel or copper - very cool.

2) One way design, if it works like it is advertised, eliminates the crossover which IMO is a real problem in many speakers. I don't expect these speakers to have the highest of highs, but at age 40, even though my hearing is still very good, I bet hearing over 15khz is not likely. Most sound is well below that. And harsh tweeters are worse than no tweeters.

3) Small sub with a big impact that is musical and good for HT is exactly what I am searching for. I don't need to violently shake the house, but a convincing low end sound is needed, without bloated boom. A good 8: sub gives you that, and with better upper range bass that big subs don't excel at, this again makes it a good match for their Orb speakers.

4) And finally if I don't like it, I can return it for free. A pain in the butt to do so, but at least it is an option. And I should add, that also for $750 a relative bargain. Plus, I would be adding rear speakers, something I haven't even considered to do until now. And with their inexpensive mounts, I can put them right on the wall with relative ease.

Now, if only they will sound good, then I have found the perfect system for my needs!

that's great. Glad you've looked into it. Tell us what you finally purchase!

Thread Information