Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Kex, I didn't understand your post. You said your friend has three Revel Performas which are matching speakers, then toward the end you said you would rather have 3 matching speakers. Are you saying he laid one on it's side, or he has the right speakers just not a good set up?
    No - I'm saying IMO, 3 matching speakers is best provided you can place the center speaker as far out from the back wall/TV as the mains. If you can't, a CC designed for such placement might be better. A lot of stereo speakers will sound different placed on a TV or in an entertainment unit, or up against a wall...some are probably more forgiving than others, but all will be affected. The Revels in particular exhibited a noticeable change in the way vocals sounded.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Oh ok, like I said, I didn't know anything about a suckout in phantom mode - i don't use it in my system because I've always prefered CC's. Either way, the difference between the 3rd L/R at center and just phantom mode that I tuned into wasn't in the 1-4kHz range so much but more 200Hz -1.5 kHz range or thereabouts...if phantom mode had a suckout, it wasn't as bad as the sound from the CC up against the display. Then again, we were focusing on vocals, mostly dialogue, and were probably more attuned to the boost than the omission.
    Boost are hard to ignore, they are in your face. A suck out is definately more difficult to hear because....it is just not there! The only reference point that a suck out exists, is a percieved spaciousness with mono signals(like a voice suspended between two speakers in a two channel system), or a thin-nes or lack of body to an instrument.

What is going on in the phantom mode that's causing that suckout that doesn't occur in regular stereo music listening? Can you explain it to dummies like me?
    It does exist in regular stereo programming, you just don't notice it because you like the effect, or it has been equalized out during mixing and mastering in post.

With a good two channel system, have you noticed how spacious a vocal sounds suspended between the two speakers? That effect partially comes from the suck out at 1-4kHz, and depending on the depth of that suck out, it can sound anywhere from spacious, to damn right thin and lacking body. Some mixers like that effect, as do quite a few audiophiles. However if the mix has alot of instruments, the voice would be drowned out if the suck out is not messaged. So we add alot of EQ to the vocals to thresh them out of the mix, or they would be smothered by the instruments(some folks do not realize how much EQ it takes to do this). I think audio purists would have a heart failure if they understood how much processing is really in some "audiophile" recordings.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Well, after reading this post I made sure that my front three speakers were balanced, sound level wise. I definitely noticed an improvement with off axis although there wasn't any issue beforehand. It's now fuller sounding. Thanks guys.

I'm considering this purchase. I need to know how important is it that all three are the same height. Is it that the tweeters all need to be the same height? The position of my TV will make this difficult. Anyhow, here's the speaker I want to get...

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ184354715

Here are a couple of pics of my current scenario...

Suspended
    Having the tweeters all even at ear level would be optimum but in most cases improbable. So do your best and enjoy.

According to THX's testing, as long as you stay within 6" in difference, the effect of the non height match is not that critical. Any more than 6", and you notice a pull downward if the center is lower than the L/R mains.

I agree with this theory based on my experience with one of my current systems.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    When I got my Tosh I had to move my center to the bottom opposed to sitting on a top position. In this case the bottom ended up blending better. Maybe it is because on a bottom position it was still closer to the mains than a top position. I really didn't like the center above the TV but with an old school RPTV not much choice.

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for not making fun of my TV.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    It was at at the tip of my tongue
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Don't worry. The only 'TV' I have at the moment is a 15.4" laptop LCD. Back home it doesn't get much better, it's a 21" CRT much like yours!

Charm Thai™
    Who needs a center channel? Just run a stereo mix on 2 good channels and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah and I can't wait to finally ditch my 32" panasonic. It's a trooper but I'm getting sick of it.

I wish they would make Hi def CRT wide screens...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I wish they would make Hi def CRT wide screens...
    I've got one. A Sony 30" widescreen, fully featured, only 1080i though. I'd still trade you for a good 42" LCD. Or, even a plasma. It looks great and the upconversion is great, I just wish I had bought a larger screen. Back then HDTV was still pretty high though. It's only 186 lbs. you better bring help.

I've got one. A Sony 30" widescreen, fully featured, only 1080i though. I'd still trade you for a good 42" LCD. Or, even a plasma. It looks great and the upconversion is great, I just wish I had bought a larger screen. Back then HDTV was still pretty high though. It's only 186 lbs. you better bring help.
    Nice! When did you purchase it, and what model is it? Are they still making any?

Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    Who needs a center channel? Just run a stereo mix on 2 good channels and you'll be fine.
    I guess this would be great advice if you like the words "what did they say?".
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    AA, I haven't actually looked but from what I understand the CRT's are out. I'm not sure what model I have. If you really want to know I'll hunt up the manual. It's pretty much the top model in the 30" because at the time I wanted a cable card slot. It also has SD slot, ATSC tuner, HDMI and a host of inputs.

AA, I haven't actually looked but from what I understand the CRT's are out. I'm not sure what model I have. If you really want to know I'll hunt up the manual. It's pretty much the top model in the 30" because at the time I wanted a cable card slot. It also has SD slot, ATSC tuner, HDMI and a host of inputs.
    It must be relatively recent then. I bet the picture looks stunning. Don't bother about the manual.
    Is that a Toshiba projector you have, or a rear projection tv?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information