AR Newbie Registered Member

Celing or Wall Mountable Speakers

Any advice on decent flush mounted ceiling/wall speakers? The room size is about 14X22, and I am looking for a DLP to put on the 12' wall, which I haven't gotten either. I'd like to spend no more then about 500-1000. My amps, and other gear is old too, so I may be simply buying a whole new H/T system..so if the best choice sounds better on specific amps that would help also.

thanks

Lots of questions:
    1) Is the $1k budget for 2 speakers or a whole 5.1?
    2) Do you already have a sub or are you going to buy one? What price?
    3) Why flush mount? Why not standmounts?
    4) Have you heard any speakers you like or don't like?
    5) Is this for HT only or music too? What ratio?
    6) Why are you replacing your front end? Sounds bad? Out-of-date processing? Upgradeitis? Is this included in the $1k budget w/ the speakers?
    7) Finally, which central valley are we talking about? San Joaquin?

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Lots of questions:
    1) Is the $1k budget for 2 speakers or a whole 5.1?
    2) Do you already have a sub or are you going to buy one? What price?
    3) Why flush mount? Why not standmounts?
    4) Have you heard any speakers you like or don't like?
    5) Is this for HT only or music too? What ratio?
    6) Why are you replacing your front end? Sounds bad? Out-of-date processing? Upgradeitis? Is this included in the $1k budget w/ the speakers?
    7) Finally, which central valley are we talking about? San Joaquin?
    1) 1k for like 4 speakers?...based on the room size I don't think I need more then that
    2) Yes I have a sub and center speaker
    3) The room is not designed to allow for standmount type speakers...plus I would like to maintain the astetics
    4) no complete novice here
    5) Mostly HT, but at times I may want to play music...also I might install some in other rooms only for music (at an additional cost of course)
    6) The unit keeps turning off by itself...I suspect it is overheating or something...it would not be a part of the 1k
    7) yep San Joaquin

Thanks

Forum Regular
    Paradigm and B&W make good quality in-wall speakers.

I would actually suggest looking at on-wall speakers. On-walls represent the fastest growing segment of the loudspeaker market right now, and a lot of very well regarded manufacturers have entered the market over the past couple of years. They are designed to be mounted on the wall, and while they do not perform quite as well as their standmounted or floormounted counterparts, they typically perform a lot better than in-wall speakers. The main advantage that they offer is flexibility.

With flush-mounted in-wall speakers, you would need to dig them out of the wall if you someday decide to rearrange the room or otherwise reposition the TV. Plus, their audio performance is generally compromised because speaker performance is generally dictated by a precise relationship between the driver characteristics and the interior volume of the cabinet. Walls are poorly suited for interacting with speaker drivers because they resonate and create extraneous noise.

The on-wall speakers out there include Paradigm, Klipsch, Vienna Acoustics, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Magnepan, and Vandersteen. There are also the single-speaker designs from Yamaha and M&K where all five channel inputs go into a single wall-mounted enclosure, and the speaker produces a virtual surround effect. The Yamaha model has the digital decoding and amplification all self-contained.

Hey, that is a great idea...thanks. Any chance those are made in a wireless variety? I ask for the same reason you mentioned about the in-wall/ceiling...much cleaner to move around. I suspect that answer is no due to the sounds quality being converted from analog to digital (unless the freq used is analog), but thought I would ask.

Thread Information