Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular

Forum Regular

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    after all, seeds are cheap and the cost of chicks and various other meats "on the hoof" is cheaper than the same meat in pre-wrapped plastic packages.
    lol....

Forum Regular

Forum Regular
    The Frugal Horns above and several similar versions of the folded horn can command around $1,000 commercially yet mine cost less than $200 including the CNC cuts.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    The Frugal Horns above and several similar versions of the folded horn can command around $1,000 commercially yet mine cost less than $200 including the CNC cuts.
    In your opinion, how do they sound compared to store bought? I've never seen any made that way. Kinda cool!

Forum Regular
    Want to try a build that any 10 year old could pull off, costs less than a evening on the town and sounds as good as most $500 box speakers?

Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Forum Regular
    The part that may be escaping many of you is that full range single drivers require no crossovers. You just connect two wires to the terminals on the speakers and wire them to the posts on the enclosures. That's it.

In my 40 years of audio I've never heard speakers that can touch the Frugals in detail and point source imaging. For small group jazz in nearfield they'll bring a tear to your eye. For dynamic thunderous rock I'd look elsewhere. Unless corner loaded they'll require a sub or bass helpers.

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    In your opinion, how do they sound compared to store bought? I've never seen any made that way. Kinda cool!
    Depends on the speaker that you buy from the store.

BTW, a well known brand name doesn't guarantee good sound. Sometimes you may get the most prestigious brands and still not get good sound. A couple of years ago I had a chance to listen to JM Labs/Focal Grand Utopia speakers driven by some Marantz electronics. The sound was horrific. Immediately I asked if they were playing mp3. No, they were playing the demo cd that came with the speakers. Yet something was wrong. It may have been the acoustics of the showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kursun View Post
    Depends on the speaker that you buy from the store.

BTW, a well known brand name doesn't guarantee good sound. Sometimes you may get the most prestigious brands and still not get good sound. A couple of years ago I had a chance to listen to JM Labs/Focal Grand Utopia speakers driven by some Marantz electronics. The sound was horrific. Immediately I asked if they were playing mp3. No, they were playing the demo cd that came with the speakers. Yet something was wrong. It may have been the acoustics of the showroom.
    I know exactly what you mean. For example, I listened to a pair of Magnepans (a long time) and they sounded great. I went to two other stores and were awful. Same speaker, different electronics and setups. The same thing happened with Wilson Watt/Puppies.

I guess that my question wasn't very realistic. The fact that you're not out speaker shopping says a lot. Anyway, very nice speakers.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    The part that may be escaping many of you is that full range single drivers require no crossovers. You just connect two wires to the terminals on the speakers and wire them to the posts on the enclosures. That's it.

In my 40 years of audio I've never heard speakers that can touch the Frugals in detail and point source imaging. For small group jazz in nearfield they'll bring a tear to your eye. For dynamic thunderous rock I'd look elsewhere. Unless corner loaded they'll require a sub or bass helpers.
    I will second that. The Frugals can recreate midrange that is so convincing, with so much immediacy, instruments like a sax come to life. I am going on a year with no changes to my system, the horns had alot to do with it. All I do now is turn on the power and enjoy. I still get excited listening to music and I don't see any end in sight.

I think the bottom line is that we can babble all day long, but for everyone who hasn't...they must be heard.

As far as addressing the point of comparisons and competitive, there are guys with alot of cake at sites like DIYaudio. People who have switched from mega buck speakers to a "simpler" DIY based model.

(sigh) How I wish I could have some of you guys come over and hear for yourself. Also how I would love to visit poultry's house of goodies.

BTW poultry I am considering some bass extension...maybe. Xmas gift for myself perhaps. I realy love the Hsu Research but I know we have discussed the OB's.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    I will second that. The Frugals can recreate midrange that is so convincing, with so much immediacy, instruments like a sax come to life. I am going on a year with no changes to my system, the horns had alot to do with it. All I do now is turn on the power and enjoy. I still get excited listening to music and I don't see any end in sight.

I think the bottom line is that we can babble all day long, but for everyone who hasn't...they must be heard.

As far as addressing the point of comparisons and competitive, there are guys with alot of cake at sites like DIYaudio. People who have switched from mega buck speakers to a "simpler" DIY based model.

(sigh) How I wish I could have some of you guys come over and hear for yourself. Also how I would love to visit poultry's house of goodies.

BTW poultry I am considering some bass extension...maybe. Xmas gift for myself perhaps. I realy love the Hsu Research but I know we have discussed the OB's.
    I, for one, don't want to listen, cause you know what happens next? If it's as you say, then I'll go home and bury my system in the back yard.

How could you be so cruel?

Ignorance is bliss!

Ahhh screw it!

The reason I have stopped messin with my system is the simple fact that it now sounds the same or better than systems I used to envy. Frankly, for something to really turn me on I would have to spend a laughable amount of cash. So this always happily brings me back to my baby.

I have some Gene Ammons on right now and let me tell ya, the imaging is wonderfully intruiging. The Boss is front and center, blowin like hell. All I can say is that I am hearing emotion, something that so many pairs of (pricier) speakers just flat out lack.

So sorry for this piece of egotistical and narccisistic ranting, but the Frugal horn is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest example of DIY dominance. Affordably and easily built...

Instead of envy, I now occasionally glow with happiness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can speaker companies compete with DIY?-frugal.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    So sorry for this piece of egotistical and narccisistic ranting, but the Frugal horn is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest example of DIY dominance. Affordably and easily built...
    Nice wood finish. Is that laminate?

You deserve it, it's okay to run out into the street and tell the world.

What do you know?
    Electrostatics with transmission line subwoofers!
    I'd love to hear Jazzman's system.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    What do you know?
    Electrostatics with transmission line subwoofers!
    I'd love to hear Jazzman's system.
    Hey Joe! I knew you'd be along to crash the party with your "drivers are too slow" crying. Yes I think Jazzman's system would sound sweet too...

Forum Regular
    Over a year ago PChubbs PM'd me about buying some DIY Frugals and I told him to jump on them. He's been a contented soul ever since and his Frugals have those eNabled drivers that I lust over.

My black Frugals in the picture are nothing more than primed MDF rolled with black gloss enamel. I'm gonna decoupage my next pair with sheet music.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    The reason I asked was that my DIY's have a ribbon on top that is open air and it creates a very open sound. Your's is similar in concept.

I've attached a picture of mine. They are unfinished and I know that I made some mistakes, but this is a first for me. They sound way better than they look. I'm almost embarrassed to let you see mine after seeing your's. Oh well, it's all good!
    I can now see why you are having issues with the center channel. It would be hard to integrate an identical center channel in this kind of setup.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I can now see why you are having issues with the center channel. It would be hard to integrate an identical center channel in this kind of setup.
    One picture is worth a thousands words, the saying goes. BTW the picture I posted on this thread is of my 2 channel system. My surround system is another animal. If you want me to post a picture for you to see, I will.

Referring to my surround system...

I don't have a db meter but I did try and match the amplitude, by ear, as best I could and that seamed to help. The center has similar sound to the mains, so I tried to eq them as close as possible and that also seemed to help.

Another thing I did was to move my rear surrounds (similar dipoles) further apart to the corner of the room and set them up so that they are at a 45 degree angle from the corner. I also moved them toward the ceiling. It looks odd, but that's not important. This creates more of a dipole effect. This seemed to improve the integration with the mains.

There is one thing I'm thinking of trying, but I don't know if it's worth the effort. I have a spare set of speakers, the same as the rears, and I thought I'd try to stack them (one above the other) in the same 45 degree configuration. I'm not sure if they would improve the sound. In effect, I would have 6 foot dipole planers on the back wall.

The only advantage, I think, is that since planers have a limited vertical dispersion, it would improve the intelligibility of the rears. I'm not sure this is even important. It sounds pretty good the way it is.

Anyway, I know that you are not a planer kind of guy, but I'd thought I'd mention this to you. BTW, some sites recommend dipoles and bipoles for the rear speakers.

Face Off: Surround-Speaker-Configuration Wars | Home Theater

Thanks for trying to help.

To everyone else, I don't mean to step on your thread and I'll get back on subject. Sorry!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information