View Poll Results: Best sub for both music and movies?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acculine Asub

0 0%
  • Cadenxe CSX-12

1 10.00%
  • Velodyne VX-10

3 30.00%
  • Energy ESW-10

4 40.00%
  • Klipsch KSW-10

2 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Hey! Just got the sub, got it all connected and everything. I didn't rerun odyssey or anything, on my Onkyo receiver I just set subwoofer to yes, speakers to small, and crossover to 100hz. I didn't know where to set the volume level knob so I set it at about 1/3 of the way and started a song. I could hear some bass but it sounded too soft. So I set my receiver +4 db to the subwoofer and put the volume level at half way - sounds amazing, very clean, and it's night and day between this and my old Klipsch Promedia 4.1 sub. Sounds very good, now to let it break in...

One quick question though, is my +4 dB setting on my receiver ok or should I back down a bit until the sub is broken in?

For a home theater application, where the receiver can control what goes to the sub, you don't need the level control. Try turning off the Filter switch on the front panel.

Forum Regular
    I have the filter off, but the level control adjusts the volume of the sub... should I not be using this knob or do I have something not set up right? The filter switch I thought was just for the sub's crossover if you weren't using the LFE.\, but I thought the volume level knob still applied.

Congrats on the sub. You made a good choice with the S8.

What speakers did you decide upon?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I'm currently trying out the AV123 ELT525M's and they are really pleasing to listen to.

Without the sub, I would definitely want something with more bass, but with the sub now I'm not sure that I would. I do want to get a center channel though, and that would be the ELT525C... that plus the ELT525Ms would be about $525'ish.

I am thinking about however trying out the AV123 X-Series CS as fronts. They are currently running a holiday special and you can get them for $159 each! Which would be $477!

The X-Series CS has 2 6.5" woofers and a much better sensitivity (the ELT525Ms are 1 5.75" woofer and 83 dB). I've also heard that the X-Series might be a touch warmer than the ELT525's. I dunno, how do you think the X-Series CS would stack up against the ELT525 series?

I read somewhere that the width of soundstage on the X-Series CS was limited to inside the speakers... but isn't it pretty much like that for all bookshelfs, or is that more of a trait to using MTM's as fronts? I also don't know if the CS in the review was the new Encore CS w/ the new India tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by exospire
    I have the filter off, but the level control adjusts the volume of the sub... should I not be using this knob or do I have something not set up right? The filter switch I thought was just for the sub's crossover if you weren't using the LFE.\, but I thought the volume level knob still applied.
    I tried it out...you're right. I guess I'd forgotten about that. Anyway...Mirage recommends not playing your sub to its fullest potential until you're past the 50-hour break-in period, but turning it up halfway, even with the +4dB setting, isn't pushing it to the fullest. It sounds like you're doing the right thing.

I dont know much about those speakers, but I prefer 6.5" drivers over 5.75". Every speaker line that I have listened to that offers both 5 and 6" drivers, the speakers with the larger drivers always sounds better to me. Now if your comparing different speaker lines, thats like comparing apples to oranges. Besides, I'm still a fan of the Wharfedales, they sound good and I have never seen a bad review on them.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Soundstage with bookshelf speakers

Quote Originally Posted by exospire
    I read somewhere that the width of soundstage on the X-Series CS was limited to inside the speakers... but isn't it pretty much like that for all bookshelfs...
    I read that review, too. I think the reviewer was being critical of the speaker, expecting a wider soundstage even from bookshelf speakers. There are some great bookshelfs. It's not a limiting factor. Some audiophiles prefer them.

Forum Regular
    I wish they had an ELT525 bookshelf with a 6.5" woofer. With AV123's awesome return policy, I might just get the x-series cs-encores, compare them to the ELT525's, and keep the one I like the best.

edit: What's the quickest way to break in a sub? I've just been leaving a huge mp3 playlist play all day, but I assume the sub only breaks in during parts where there is actually bass, so then it would make sense to just play the songs that feature the most bass over and over right?

A wide dynamic range at normal listening level is the recommended method, as opposed to heavy bass. Playing it all day is a good way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information