AR Newbie Registered Member

BP7001SC system. Prepurchase advice, plz.

I am new in the country, building a new (first) home and buying everything new. I have narrowed down my search to the Definitive Technology's BP-7001SC system which has the two towers of the same name, the CLR 3000 and the BPVX for surrounds. This selection is based on the internet reviews only.

I need comments/suggestions on this choice. I want a system that I can keep for the next twenty years.

Paradigm is the most commonly mentioned brand name in any discussion forums. Does that make them the best?

It might be important to mention the other products that I have narrowed down my search to.
    Denon 2900 DVD player
    Denon 3805 AV receiver
    Samsung DLP TV 5688W

Thanks,

Jeff Macemon

silly question..

by when not listen to some speaks FIRST...then choose?

Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

AR Newbie Registered Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    by when not listen to some speaks FIRST...then choose?

Pogue
    The question is not silly. Not everyone lives in Chicago. I am in a border town. The nearest dealer is eight hours drive. To plan for that, would delay the purchase too much. If I could listen to them, I wouldn't be asking the prepurchase advice.

Thanks anyway

Jeff

Forum Regular
    Don't pay full price... Get at least 20% off. Tow the speakers in drastically towards you listening position. When you set them up makes sure you have at least the length of the speaker away from the wall (you can do this by taking off the top cap and using that as a guide). If you are going to be in a room that has back walls get 2 bp7006scs instead of the BPVXs. You can probably work a pretty good deal on those. And just because paradigm, b&w, DefTech, Sonus Faber, Magnepan, Wilson are mentioned in a lot of forums doesn't make them the best. How they sound to YOU makes them the best. You should make a trip to the nearest town, even if you have to travel to another state or at least a couple hours =), especially if this is going to be something that you will keep for two decades.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

I agree with the other posters that recommend listening first... I certainly understand your hesitation to drive 4 hours each way to audition speakers... But keep in mind, that this is a major purchase that you plan on sticking with for the next 20 years...

What happens if you don't care for the DT Bi-polar sound? Many like it, as I do for certain types of applications (I own some DT speakers I use in my office at work for full disclosure)... but it is definitely one of those love it or hate it scenarios for most folks.

Like others have also said, frequency of mentions on boards has absolutely nothing to do with performance (good or bad). Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Polk and Definitive Tech get a lot of mentions, as they are some of the larger brands... They are all good places to start (and you may end up picking one of them once you have heard many others), but many smaller brands can be found that also could appeal to you...

A small sampling of some quality smaller brands located at Brick and Morter stores are (in no particular order):

Merlin
    Sonus Faber
    Spendor
    Magnapan
    Joseph Audio
    Gallo Acoustics
    Von Schweikert
    Consonance/Opera Audio
    Legacy Audio

A sampling of some other quality Internet sales direct companies that allow 21-30 day home auditions are (also in no particular order):

Tyler Acoustics
    AV123.com (Rockets and Reference)
    Selah Audio
    Salk Sound
    ACI
    Ellis Audio
    Omega Loudspeakers

So as you can see, there are plenty of options out there, and what I have listed is less that 1% of the available brands (but at least it is a good starting place). I recommend taking your time and let your own ears decide which brand and model works for you within your budget... That is half the fun, IMO. :-)

As for your electronics, the ones you have listed look like they are all good choices... But again, you may find other options that appeal to you more based on your speaker decision...

Good luck,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Thread Information