Forum Regular

Magnepan 1.6 and Jolida 502B or other amps?

I am really set on getting the Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I was wondering if the Jolida 502B tube amp would be a good match for these speakers. Those who have magnepans, pleaese advise on the best amp to compliment them in the <$1200 range. Thanks.

Is that Jolida going to be stable enough to drive the Maggies? They have a 4 ohm nominal load and I'll bet they drop into the high 1's or low 2's. You might try PM'ing Geoffcin, he has Maggies.

Forum Regular
    The jolida can be configured for 4 ohms, but I dont know if it will be stable down to 2 ohms, does the impedence really change that much? If anyone has any experience with the Jolida and low impedence speakers, please let me know. Thanks

How many watts does it pump out?

seriously doubt you'll have enough power to drive them to a comfortable level or to do justice to what they can do. My NAD 214 was sucked dry when trying to drive my 1.6's to a comfortable level. It was rated to 80 wpc @ 8 ohms and considerably more at 4 ohms. They opened up when driven with a Rotel RB991, which put out close to 300 wpc @ 4 ohms.I

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It would depend

Quote Originally Posted by airdough49
    I am really set on getting the Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I was wondering if the Jolida 502B tube amp would be a good match for these speakers. Those who have magnepans, pleaese advise on the best amp to compliment them in the <$1200 range. Thanks.
    On the type of music you like, and how loud you like to play it. The 1.6qr is not a difficult load, and if the Jolida is rated for 4ohm use it should drive them fine. Tubes and maggies have been used for many years, and some people swear by them. I find that the 1.6 are a "warm"(there's that word again!) and forgiving speaker, at least a lot more forgiving than my 3.6s, and mate surprisingly well with a lot more SS, and tube amps.

Right now I'm driving my maggies with a PS Audio HCA-2. While this amp has recently be discontinued, it along with a handful of other amps were on the forefront of the new class "D" amp tech. On the used market this amp is well within your price range.

Forum Regular
    Look for a Pathos Acoustics Classic One, works wonderfully with it. Make sure the AMP has lots of current. The 1.6 will stick with 4 Ohm an not drop noticeably.

Planar Asylun,,,,,,,all Maggies Click here

Welcome to the world were the music lives

Here is a picture

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/pathos.jpg
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 12-03-2004 at 05:47 PM. Reason: pic too big
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the feedback. I like all types of music. I currently have a pair of klipsch KLF-20's that are great for rock and "loud music". But what I really enjoy is jazz, classical, bluegrass, I listen to a lot of Norah Jones, Alison Krauss, Diana Krall, etc. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 that I use for this type of music, because the Klipsch just doesnt cut it. So I guess what I am after is life like vocals, and clear instrumentals, if that makes sense? Would you still suggest SS, or is Tube the way to go here? Thanks

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    If that is the type of music you listen to, I think you will be set. And I do believe the Jolida should be able to drive the maggies. I have heard them on tubes before and they sound magnificent with nice jazz, acoustic guitar, vocals, but with rock, the system sounded a little laid-back which is to be expected. Good luck.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Forum Regular
    Try a hybrid. Tube in the Pre-Stage and a Solid State Power Stage. Best of both worlds ;-)
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

AR Newbie Registered Member

801A & Maggies

I have an 801A driving a pair of MMGs. Plenty of power for rock, beautiful with Norah Jones, great for jazz.

70 watts per channel into 8 ohms w/ 4 ohm taps.

Not sure of impedence differnce between MMG and 1.6

Forum Regular

Question

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Is that Jolida going to be stable enough to drive the Maggies? They have a 4 ohm nominal load and I'll bet they drop into the high 1's or low 2's. You might try PM'ing Geoffcin, he has Maggies.

The 1.6's never drop down below 4 ohms and both frequency extremes. The midband however has an extremely high impedance around 20 ohms. If the 502B has an output that is marked 4 ohms I'd connect the speakers there. However with all the good quality solid state amplifiers out there that are priced significantly lower than the tubey 502B my question is this. Why bother with tubes??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information