Forum Regular

Question What crossover should be used?

Hello, I am a newbie to this crossover thing. I have a Home theater that consist of a Yamaha AV receiver,B&W 601S3 's rear,602S3 's fronts,B&W LCR60 center and ASW-600 sub. Here's my problem. I am using my receiver to do bass management. I set all speakers to small to send low frequency to subwoffer only in my set up. When I run auto setup I check and my crossover is set at 160Hz.Is this this correct ? From all I've read the best crossover should be 80 Hz or lower.Please could someone help me on this subject?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by hardrock
    Hello, I am a newbie to this crossover thing. I have a Home theater that consist of a Yamaha AV receiver,B&W 601S3 's rear,602S3 's fronts,B&W LCR60 center and ASW-600 sub. Here's my problem. I am using my receiver to do bass management. I set all speakers to small to send low frequency to subwoffer only in my set up. When I run auto setup I check and my crossover is set at 160Hz.Is this this correct ? From all I've read the best crossover should be 80 Hz or lower.Please could someone help me on this subject?
    Thanks in advance
    What ever sound best to you.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrock
    Thanks in advance
    You've got fairly decent bookshelf speakers and a center speaker that has reasonable low out put to 70 Hz...I'd say that's a good starting point if your receiver allows it...I can't imagine you wanting to be above 80Hz. 160 Hz is waaaay too high, there's something odd about that. And I'm a little puzzled as to why the auto-setup would select this.

Depending on the roll-off in bass response you might be able to get away with 60 Hz...and this doesn't begin to take room gain into consideration...

There's no right or wrong LFE crossover, but most people prefer to allow their speakers to handle as much bass as they can before routing the rest to the subwoofer. For movies, you may wish the LFE signal to be "exaggerated" for the fun factor. For music, you'll probably want a tighter, more accurate presentation. It's safe to say that below 80Hz the bass becomes "non-directional", that is you cannot tell where it is being emitted from. Above that, there is a chance the subwoofer will give its location away. If you set the crossover too low, however, you run the risk of having a "hole" in the bass frequency response.

Experiment, set the crossover to the point where the bass is tight, full, but not boomy or bloated. Make sure you have your speakers level matched to the subwoofer. And make sure that the LFE cutoff/crossover dial on the back of the sub is set to the highest value (or by-passed if possible), this ensures the receiver alone is doing the bass management.

Thread Information