Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Lightbulb Best Speakers For $2K USD

Just got a Yamaha RX-V 2500 receiver. What are the best speakers in the $2,000-$3,000 range? I know it's a very personal choice, but curious as to where to begin. (Paradigm, BW, Audience, Monitor Audio?) Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLG
    Just got a Yamaha RX-V 2500 receiver. What are the best speakers in the $2,000-$3,000 range? I know it's a very personal choice, but curious as to where to begin. (Paradigm, BW, Audience, Monitor Audio?) Thanks all.
    If space permits, I would encourage hearing some Magneplanars. I was seduced by planar speakers long ago.

rw

Well, I tend to go for some of the lesser known brands... so it may be hard to find these, but here goes:

My first choice would be Tyler Acoustics 7Us ($3250/pr. on the tyleracoustics.com web site, but Ty always will sell them for about $2850/pr.). These are built to order through Internet sales only. VERY nice sound and build quality. These sound particularly good with acoustic instruments, female vocalists and jazz or blues.

My second choice would be the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-3 floorstanders. These retail for about $1850/pr. I heard these at THE Show in Vegas, and was *quite* impressed indeed. They don't sound as good as the 7Us, but they also offer tremendous bang for the buck. The Eric-3s are more of an all-arounder (master of nothing, but does almost everything very good).

My third choice would be the Legacy Audio Classics. Very good overall floorstander that sells for about 3K nowadays... Not as good bang for the buck as either of the first 2, nor do they offer the resolution of the 7Us... but they do get quite low, and I love the look of the Classics. Great rock speaker (if that is your music of choice).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Magnepan HT User

Second the Magnepan

I would definitely look into Magnepan. I used to own B&W but now own Magnepan. Very detailed and open in sound. You have to make sure you have enough room behind them to get the very best out of them.

The best $2K speakers? Easy...

Obviously it's the B&W's I own.

No, no, no...What am I thinking?

My Von Schweikerts are much better.....

sorta....

I GOT IT! It has to be RGA's Audio Notes.

Wait, wait...sorry, that's not right either.

The best $2K speakers are definitely Wooch's Paradigms.

No?

Maybe Worf's Ohm Walsh's? Geoffcin's Maggies or Gallo's? How 'bout Kexodusc's EFE's?

Now that I think about it, I have no idea what the best $2K speaker is.

Why don't you tell me?

Forum Regular
    Magnepan MG 1.6

if you have the space....

Many Maggie pictures can be found here

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showg...&ppuser=238671
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Depend on what you want the speakers to do - what kind of system you intend on building and ultimately the sound you like. The best thing is to listen a LOT - it took me four years to find something and I made sure to listen to as many of the touted speakers in Stereophile as I could and to take samples froma breadth of designs from Ribbons, panels stats, stat hybrids, horns and even just weird looking speakers like Cabasse - the one with the big eyeball looking drivers. That is really the best suggestion I can give you and it really is the only suggestion worth giving you because no matter the reviews and forum hype not everyone and not you are going to like em all.

The more you hear the better off you'll be - you don;t want to just by a $2k speaker of one kind of design when all you hear is 4-6 others all of which are pretty much exactly the same. Trouble is to get the auditions - not every place carries a lot of this 'other' stuff. Then some of them don;t make surround sound packages - if that;s what you want a lof of companies get lopped off the list.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Obviously it's the B&W's I own.

No, no, no...What am I thinking?

My Von Schweikerts are much better.....

sorta....

I GOT IT! It has to be RGA's Audio Notes.

Wait, wait...sorry, that's not right either.

The best $2K speakers are definitely Wooch's Paradigms.

No?

Maybe Worf's Ohm Walsh's? Geoffcin's Maggies or Gallo's? How 'bout Kexodusc's EFE's?

Now that I think about it, I have no idea what the best $2K speaker is.

Why don't you tell me?

Thank you for your extraordinarily insightful comments. (I hope the time you spent crafting your response was a worthwhile use of your time.) I would still be interested in the feedback from people that are knowledgeable.

Forum Regular
    Seriously, the absolut best bet is to go to www.magnepan.com and try the MMG (550$ a pair) for 60 days. I am 100% sure you will love them. If you dont like them, return them for a full refund. But be warned, once you listen to a Maggie there is no going back. The MMGs will most likely kill any other 2K box in terms of inner detail, soundstage, depth and reproduction of voices.lik

Here is the 2K$ recommend system from Enjoy the music .com

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../donibbles.htm
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Lord Maggie

Just one thing I had my K's for 6 months and I got 100% trade-in on them. I have heard 2 Maggies now - and they have very obvious strengths - I still think it's unwise to buy based solely on recommendations. I do LIKE Maggie in that they let you try em and return them - more companies should do that. And if the MMG sounds better than the SMG then at $500 they're a solid buy - if you have a subwoofer. The big maggie I heard I need more time on before I say anything.

It's just a hobby

Genelec 8000 series

After you have listened to the ANs, B&Ws, Monitor Audios, Paradigms and other passives , visit the pro audio shop and listen to the active Genelec 8000 series, hear and see why quite a number of pros are excited about these speakers, the bass is so articulate, midrange clarity exceptional and the top end openess of the 8030 and 8050 are superb. In short the 8050 is a bargain premium speaker, I will happily live with the 8030, similar qualities but less bass, it costs USD1200, the 8050 is the real deal, it has one of the best midrange performances I have heard in a long time, but at USD3500, it is not cheap. And they are not bad looking either.

Thank you for your extraordinarily insightful comments. (I hope the time you spent crafting your response was a worthwhile use of your time.) I would still be interested in the feedback from people that are knowledgeable.
    LG, and I'm only telling you this because I care, there are plenty of decaffinated brands out there that are just as tasty as the real thing.

You missed my point entirely, so I'll spell it out for you.

The opinions you get are going to be based on that particular poster's individual tastes, needs, room acoustics, and experience. You'll notice that none of these factors has anything to do with you. Lord Magnepan is going to push Maggies on you all day because, as his moniker so boldly proclaims, he's a fan. RGA, who is being remarkeably reserved, usually crams Audio Note down your throat, but so far has given you the most worthwhile advice.

The bottom line is that if you want to find the best speaker for you, at any price, you are the one that is going to have to do the leg work and find it. Our opinions have absolutely zero value. So get out there and listen, take your time, and enjoy the ride. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Who knows, maybe you'll find some speaker that no one here has encountered and come back to enlighten all of us? It's happened before.

Forum Regular
    In other words this board and the entire website is complete garbage and useless
    System2:

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    MusicLG: There is a mountain of wisdom in Topspeed's original post. If there was one almighty best $2000 speaker, we'd all have the same speakers right now.
    I like what I have (I might add mine were the cheapest lol!) but I also liked the Paradigm's I still have that they replaced, the AN J's, some Totem speaker, Focus Audio, B&W, etc, etc...

There's just too much personal and subjective preference involved with speakers to determine what the universal best is...as for what's best for you, well the models listed in this thread are a start...
    There's not a single one I've seen listed here that I don't like yet (though I haven't heard the Legacy Audio's).

Usually when someone asks the "what's the best question", a brutal flame war of epic proportions breaks out...that hasn't happened...yet.

Forum Regular
    Wanna start one ?

J/K
    System2:

Forum Regular

Talking

It all very much makes sense to me and you are all very helpful...including Topspeed, with your explanation of the first posting. I certainly intend on taking as much time as necessary to hear what is available...but I gotta tell you. In a hundred years, I would not have thought about Magnepan...but based on the advice in this thread, I scheduled an audition. It's a function of room configuration, music preference...and the rest is how we're wired. Your comments have been extremely helpful.
    LG

Forum Regular
    You will not be dissapointed If your near Charlotte, come on by !!!
    System2:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magnepan
    You will not be dissapointed If your near Charlotte, come on by !!!
    Do you get a commission on each pr. of Maggies sold.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular
    Hahah

I wish, id be rich and die a happy man. Well every person, every single one i have shown Maggies ended up buying one and sometimes ditching and selling speakers which they owned for years and spend several thousands of dollars on.

Which modell you gonna listen to and what equipment?
    System2:

Used is the key word!!!

whatever trips yer trigger make it "used" and steal a set as people upgrade.....

now go get'em!!

Peace, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular
    Properbly the best deal period, is a used 1.6 for 1200$......
    System2:

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I will cast my usual vote for Totem.

As long as you don't buy Bose, most on the Forum will not think ill of you.

Forum Regular

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magnepan
    Properbly the best deal period, is a used 1.6 for 1200$......
    I owned the 3.6's for quite awhile and then found a good deal on a used pair of 20.1's which I currently own. It took a long time to find a pair that wasn't going for $7-8K. Maggies certainly hold their value! It's nice now that I own them but when I was looking for them, it quite frankly pissed me off!

The biggest problem with Maggies is that they spoil you! It's not an easy thing at all to listen to box speakers anymore. But, too, they are hard to dial in. Took me quite awhile but they're singing sweetly as I type!

For what an opinion is worth, Maggie 1.6's are the best bang for the buck... and even new, there will be change coming back from the $2K!

Forum Regular
    I called Magnepan this afternoon and spoke with a couple of people there. Looks like I'll be listening the the 12's. Got to go one state over, but I'm sure the audition will be worth it.

Forum Regular
    Trust me it will
    System2:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information