Forum Regular

Question Best Price for Boston Speakers ? Where ?

I plan to purchase a set of Boston speakers:

2 - VR-M50 (mains - bookshelf)
    1 - VR-MC (center)
    2 - VR-MX (surrounds)

and am in search of the best price .....

Please don't tell me Tweeter :-) I can't get this local store off the MSRP :-(

Any pointers are welcomed !

Thanks,
    Mike

Your only option is to go to a different store and haggle. Bostons are not authorized for sale online, and I haven't seen any mail order vendors that sell Bostons. You should be able to negotiate something if you buy all the speakers in a package. Otherwise, you should just set your budget and see what fits within it. Any kind of deal you get can go towards more DVDs. Whatever you do, don't get into the trap of buying a bargain rather than a speaker, since it's better to buy a speaker you're happy with at full price, than something you're buying at half off even though to you it sounded like a crap at full price.

Forum Regular

full price is the budget :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Your only option is to go to a different store and haggle. Bostons are not authorized for sale online, and I haven't seen any mail order vendors that sell Bostons. You should be able to negotiate something if you buy all the speakers in a package. Otherwise, you should just set your budget and see what fits within it. Any kind of deal you get can go towards more DVDs. Whatever you do, don't get into the trap of buying a bargain rather than a speaker, since it's better to buy a speaker you're happy with at full price, than something you're buying at half off even though to you it sounded like a crap at full price.
    Thanks Wooch - my budget for the 5 speakers is around $2K. If I have to I'll pay the MSRP on those Bostons ..... but was trying to see if I could get a better price on them. I don't think that I'm going to compromise on the speaker based on price.

I know there are a lot of opinons out there regarding metal tweeters and the bostons have an Alu tweeter, but to me it has a sound that I enjoy. To me when these speakers are coupled up with a good sub they provide just the right sound TO ME :-)

I know some will say that the highs are to sharp or to fake or whatever, but all in all they provide a mid/high range that is pretty close to the mids/highs in th Pinnalces that I have today, and I like them too :-)

Forum Regular

I have this exact set.

It sounds spectacular with music as well as HT. I bought mine at Tweeter. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of Boston retailers. You could visit Boston's website to check if there are any other retailers in your area. As far as Tweeter goes, I bought all the speakers separately and got 5-15% discount on all of them. My wife actually did better at haggling than I did. She got 15% off the VR-MX and 15% off the VR-M50. Maybe it's her background in customer service, but younger salesmen seem to have a harder time turning down women. I would recommend trying out a few different salespeople. I have found some to be very inflexible while some are willing to deal. Once you find someone willing to deal stick with them. Talk about possible future purchases and their upgrade policy. This makes it seem like you are willing to buy more from them in the future. You could also bring your wife. Anyway, I have never thought twice about my purchases and have enjoyed them from day 1. To me these are the best I heard during my extensive auditions. And yes, I would have paid full price for them without blinking. Enjoy your Bostons.

JSE
    You could always try calling stores around the States. I bought my Boston's through Magnolia Hi-Fi on the west coast. Just about any store will ship. Depending on what State your in, you may not have to pay tax. Call a store up and tell them the exact package you want and see what they will quote you. I would even explain your situation to them so they know they will have to cut a deal for you in order to get your business.

JSE

Forum Regular

Talking Thanks for the pointers !!!!!!!!!!

Seanno and JSE

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post ! I sure appreciate the help !

I'm SURE that I'm gonna enjoy these speakers. A week ago I took 8 CDs down to the store and listened to various tracks .... identified the tracks at home and wrote them down and then repeated them in the store. I spent about 2 hours there listening to the speakers connected to a Denon (which is what I'm going to connect to).

I listened some with the sub on, and sub off, center on, center off, rears on and off. Paying attention to the various reproductions as each speaker combination was playing. I came away with the same conclusion that I had going in I LIKE these speakers !!!!

Thanks again for your help. I'll definitely look up some authorized dealers and make some calls. :-)

I'll post back when I get the deal done and let you know how much I was able to get them for.

Mike

Thread Information