Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    IMO, grills are necessary to satisfy the esthetic taste of "wives", (using the term loosely to describe non-audio enthusiasts). That excludes the Audio Note from present consideration along with some others, e.g. the Tylers if I'm not mistaken.

Apart from that, the Audio Notes do resemble plywood boxes, (aren't they plywood boxes?), with Radio Shack drivers. But, hey, handsome is as handsome does.
    You mean like these grills:

Like Jack, I have heard many of the same speakers (and I bet at the same place... the excellent Quest for Sound). I personally chose the Consonance Eric-1s for my office system (although I confess I was sold on them previously at THE Show in Vegas in 2005). At $1K for sound I personally would look no further, and I am currently powering them with a Jolida Integrated right now to great effect. I confess that I am also a fan of the VR-1s, and it goes without saying the Tylers are also extremely good speakers (I think my moniker more than gives away my bias there). Tyler demos with Jolida for what its worth, and I believe they make a superb match.

Bottom line is you have a lot of great choices to look at... The Ushers are stunning looking too, not to mention anything from AV123. I'd say you are in the catbird seat here. :-)

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 09-07-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    The dealer also carries Von Schweikert. I'd like to know what is taking the place of the VR1's.
    When you find out, let the rest of us know. Albert has recently upgraded both the VR4jr and VR4sr to Mark II status with new drivers and tweaks to the x-over. They are the top of the "retail" line so hopefully he's going to the let the upgrades trickle down to the VR2 and VR1. Unfortunately, those upgrades to the jr and sr came with a staggering 30%(!) increase in price! If the 1 and 2 come back in Mark II guise, you can bet your lunch money they'll come with a price hike.

IMO, grills are necessary to satisfy the esthetic taste of "wives", (using the term loosely to describe non-audio enthusiasts). That excludes the Audio Note from present consideration along with some others, e.g. the Tylers if I'm not mistaken.
    In the case of the Tylers, Grilles are available, but cost $40/pr. extra if the customer wants them. Personally I can't stand the looks of the Tyler Grilles and never use mine. They have not even left their plastic. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Don't get me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    In the case of the Tylers, Grilles are available, but cost $40/pr. extra if the customer wants them. Personally I can't stand the looks of the Tyler Grilles and never use mine. They have not even left their plastic. :-)

---Dave
    Personally I love see those Seas drivers, (of course, I'm not a "wife").

Forum Regular
    As Topspeed knows, i also own the VR-1's. Great speaker and the African Hazelwood finish is awesome.

I heard they are discontinued, but does that mean you cant find them new anywhere?

If you want, send me a message and i will give you the name of the dealer i got mine, maybe he has some left.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Like Jack, I have heard many of the same speakers (and I bet at the same place... the excellent Quest for Sound). I personally chose the Consonance Eric-1s for my office system (although I confess I was sold on them previously at THE Show in Vegas in 2005). At $1K for sound I personally would look no further, and I am currently powering them with a Jolida Integrated right now to great effect. I confess that I am also a fan of the VR-1s, and it goes without saying the Tylers are also extremely good speakers (I think my moniker more than gives away my bias there). Tyler demos with Jolida for what its worth, and I believe they make a superb match.

Bottom line is you have a lot of grat choices to look at... The Ushers are stunning looking too, not to mention anything from AV123. I'd say you are in the catbird seat here. :-)

---Dave
    You'd win that bet Dave. Can't wait to go back there. I've got $1000 put away in my vacation club at work so far. Vacation Club my a$$. Future Usher Owners Club is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    You'd win that bet Dave. Can't wait to go back there. I've got $1000 put away in my vacation club at work so far. Vacation Club my a$$. Future Usher Owners Club is more like it.
    Good for you Jack. Enjoy those Ushers (better than any vacation club anyway). :-)

Happy listening

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Good for you Jack. Enjoy those Ushers (better than any vacation club anyway). :-)

Happy listening

---Dave
    You got that right! He'll enjoy those speakers a whole lot longer than any vacation he could take for the same cash.

$1000 for a pair of Ushers that last a conservative 20 years?
    $1000/365 days/20 years = < $0.14 per day.

$1000 for a week's vacation?
    $1000/7 days = $142.85 per day.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You got that right! He'll enjoy those speakers a whole lot longer than any vacation he could take for the same cash.

$1000 for a pair of Ushers that last a conservative 20 years?
    $1000/365 days/20 years = < $0.14 per day.

$1000 for a week's vacation?
    $1000/7 days = $142.85 per day.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    That's some good math, although maybe even more than 20 years??

superdougiefreshness

Who the heck makes pd10's ?

I think these can probably sound nice with that large mid/bass driver........
    I want a pair.....
    Best looking (first) and  great sounding (second) bookshelf for 00-pd10s.jpg

These dark wood Quads are really beautiful.
    Name:  Quad%2012L.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  55.1 KB

Last edited by superdougiefreshness; 09-08-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdougiefreshness
    I think these can probably sound nice with that large mid/bass driver........
    I want a pair.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pd10's.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	2877

These dark wood Quads are really beautiful.
    Name:  Quad%2012L.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  55.1 KB

PD-10s are made by Tyler Acoustics ($1600/pr.). They are part of the Tyler ProDynamics line.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

What drivers?

PD-10s are made by Tyler Acoustics ($1600/pr.). They are part of the Tyler ProDynamics line.

---Dave
    Dave, I hear the Tyler uses Eminence drivers in their Pro Dynamics series: any idea which ones in the PD-10's? Holy cow! Their miminum power requirement is 1 watt, and the handling is 400 watts. I image they'll play pretty LOUD

nightflier
    I'll also put in a plug for the Onix Rocket series, at least based on looks (http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=2.1). I've never heard them, though, but I've read positive reviews about them. I also think that the Usher is a very nice looking speaker, and having heard that one, I can say that it is also a very good sounding speaker, with incredible bass for its size.

The Quads, especially in a finish like birds-eye maple, for example, are still the best looking of the lot. I own a pair of 22L floor-standers in the piano-black, and can't say enough good things about them (see my other posts). That said, I don't think that the Quads will have the slam and crispness of the Ushers. They are smaller, and more refined, I guess is the best way I can put it. However, the Quads will definitely do a better job when driven by a lower-powered amp and I think in your situation they would be the best buy. By the way, the v2 Quads that just came out this year do sound a tad brighter from what I've read, and that may be an improvement for some people, but not in my book. Besides, this also makes it possible to score a pair of the original Quads at a discount.

In one of the other Speaker posts, RGA recommended Omega speakers as a more affordable alternative to the Audio-Notes, and while they still have a similar look, they also use a high-gloss finish that makes them a very attractive and classy-looking speaker for the money (see: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super3.html). They also will play with very low-power amps (as low as 2W). I am very likely to audition a pair as soon as I can free up some space. The higher-end models even use concentric hemp (not paper) drivers and might also be in your budget if bought second-hand.

Anyhow, I hope that helps.

Hehehehhe

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

PD10's are perfect for a lower power tube amp (8ohm, 97dB's)
    Man, that dude on Agon's been trying to sell his pair for almost a year now.LOL. Maybe cuz he wont even drop a dime from his asking price. I know this cuz I've tried buying the pair. I'm still curious to how they'll sound, but they are defintely not he prettiest speakers to my eyes. Just a personal preference.

JRA

Dave, I hear the Tyler uses Eminence drivers in their Pro Dynamics series: any idea which ones in the PD-10's? Holy cow! Their miminum power requirement is 1 watt, and the handling is 400 watts. I image they'll play pretty LOUD
    They definitely are Eminence, but I don't know the specific model number as I am not up on that driver brand as much as some others...

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

AR Newbie Registered Member
    " How do you think these would mate with a Jolida 302B integrated tube amp? In order to demo the pair I'll likely need to purchase at least one (probably the Jolida). Also, I noticed on Quad's site that they have the 12L and the 12L2. A quick call to a dealer leads me to believe the 12L2 is a replacement...correct? "

ptoomey,

Actually auditioned both the Quad 11L and 12L with a Jolida 302B tube integrated (I own a Jolida 502A) in a fairly large (I'm guessing 24 x 16 x 8) soundroom (Deja Vu Audio, McLean, Va) and I didn't feel that the Jolida had any problems driving either of these speakers. Remember Jolida does have a 4 ohm tap. Btw, both of these Quads were very nice, somewhat warm (think British) sounding speakers. The music that I used in the auditioning was mostly acoustic based (blues and bluegrass) with artists ranging from Junior Wells to Allison Krauss and the vocals seem to be done well. Now I have to admit that I like a warm sounding speaker. About the only thing I noticed was in auditioning the Quad 11Ls is that on one Taj Mahal track were he has some female back-up singers and horns going on at the same time, that it got a little congested. As far as the difference between the 12L and 12L2, I believe that Quad changed the tweeters. Haven't heard the 12L2, so can't comment on it. . If you could hear both 12L and 12L2, then you would have a better idea of which one sounds best to your ears. But having said that I can't imagine the 12L2 being bad speakers. Also, I think the Quads are very good looking speakers, especially in the Rosewood finish.
    Last edited by cleaneduphippy; 09-22-2007 at 07:37 AM.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=69
    New flavor of the month on avs...

Wow. I haven't anything about Swan in a loooooooong time. Kex is pretty familiar with their drivers, IIRC. I wonder what he thinks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information