Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

best bookshelf speakers

Hi all,
    i am a newbie to this site (but not to audio). i am looking for some recommendations for bookshelf speakers for my home office. I am running a vintage Marantz 4300 receiver, NAD cd player and Rega tt. I would like to stay under $700 but am willing to go higher for the perfect match,. any help is appreciated. Thanks

Suspended
    I was impressed with a set of Dali I heard which cost around $675.00, unfortunately I did not get a model number. You might also look at a Dynaudio, Excite series bookshelf or one of the new DM series. DM is their new entry level, at lower prices than Dynaudio has been at before, I have not heard the DM series but have yet to hear a Dyn I didn't like. Not sure of pricing but the Monitor Audio, Bronze is another option. There's always B&W.

Epos and Energy make good budget speakers but I have not heard them.

Check these out, still on special price
    http://www.musicdirect.com/search/advanced_search.php

I ordered a larger pair but have not received them yet so cannot comment. Should make a good conversation piece Really though do some research these are supposed to be something special.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I have two

Audio Note AX Two which is still my favorite speaker under $1,000 and the Dynaudio Audience 42. I own the Marantz 4300 receiver too and it is still going strong.

The AX Two is probably the most underrated loudspeaker on the market. It isn't perfect - bass depth isn't super low, isn't super dramatics, and the tweeter has to be partnered with something good. Not to mention it's ugly and tough to find.

Here is a review in fact directly comparing the AX Two to the Dynaudio 42.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/archive/in...p/t-5803.html?

Forum Regular

message from Raj J

Quote Originally Posted by audiofan007
    Hi all,
    i am a newbie to this site (but not to audio). i am looking for some recommendations for bookshelf speakers for my home office. I am running a vintage Marantz 4300 receiver, NAD cd player and Rega tt. I would like to stay under $700 but am willing to go higher for the perfect match,. any help is appreciated. Thanks
    good day mate!
    so you're looking for that perfect match - no such thing mate.
    you might just have to try several before handing over the cash. who's your current audio dealer? get in touch with them and they should be able to advice on this based on your partnering equipment.

good quality bookshelfs/monitors for under a grand come in various shapes and forms.
    I have heard and experienced far too may to mention, but there are ones that I can very clearly remember and would recommend. however, the equipment plays a major role because they influence how a speaker sounds. all these speakers will sound different with various amps driving them. here is my preferred list for monitors in general:

over a couple grand ($3,000 to $5,000): Sonus Faber, Wilson Audio, Proac, JM Labs, B&W nautilus series.
    less than $3,000: Sonus faber (used), Proacs, Vienna Acoustics, Jas Audio, B&W matrix or DM series (older series),
    everything else less than $2,000: Paradigm reference series, Ruarks, Mission, Monitor Audio, Wharferdale, Acoustic Energy, Energy veritas series, Rogers (no longer made)
    also, give Mordant Short a try, British make.
    Oh! I almost forgot, Quad! they have an outstanding monitor series and the finish is equisite! (11L & 12L studio active, 11L2 & 12L2 series all fantastic speakers, these have my highest recommendation) you won't be disappointed regardless of what you're driving them with! trust me I've been there...

all the best with your search!
    cheers, RJ

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I just saw a pristine pair of Usher V-601 on Audiogon for $400. They sell for $800 new. That would leave you enough left over for some nice cables. If you can listen to some Dynaudios, check out the Focus 110.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

usher, Dynaudio, possibly Monitor Audio would be ones to look at in my opinion as well. The Audio Notes while receiving high praise just don't have enough dealers around my area for me to get a taste of their sound so I can not recommend do to this reason only.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular

Hello, Here are my suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by audiofan007
    Hi all,
    Mr. P. already mentioned Epos. In the price range you've stated you might want to consider the M5i. I've heard the M5's before and I was impressed but with most of Epos speakers....if you push them too hard the tweeter might start to lose it....still though...played within their limits they are an enjoyable listen.

Raj already mentioned Mordaunt-Short. I used to have a pair of MS 902i bookshelf speakers and they do deliver the musical goods. They are now out of production but if you can find a used pair it would be a great find. They have now upgraded to the new version and you may want to check these baby's out:
    http://www.mordauntshort.com/assets/...ano1XR_web.pdf

Last but not least, Canton GLE 403 is also an excellent choice. This model is no longer in production but can be had at a great price at A4Less. I currently own a pair of these Canton's and so does Frenchmon.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...results/1.html

Wow, the Canton's are selling for a $100.00 less than what I paid for them 8 months ago!! Oh well.

Anyway, there will be plenty of other suggestions coming your way from the other forum members. Good luck with your research and purchase.

LeRoy
    Last edited by LeRoy; 01-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.

I have been enjoying the Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-1 speakers.

Great dark red bamboo finish - so a great looking speaker - a deep bass response - though sometimes if not positioned correctly is seems the bass is behind the rest of the music - good clear mid tones and a solid high end that isn't open and airy sounding - more on the black side. But every detailed none the less.

So far this is the most exciting bookshelf I have heard under $1000. It has a good dynamic reach - as in when playing some larger complex classical pieces it doesn't fall apart - and when the drums and whole orchestra kicks in you feel it - with horns and rock music the excitement is palpable and in your face.

They aren't the most efficient speaker so they do need some power and some time to break in They also provide a fairly linear frequency presentation. As in there doesn't appear to be too much of a warm bump in the mid range like Monitor Audio & B&W. I felt they have better bass response than some Dynaudio bookshelves speakers I have heard.

They are easy to set up and position - very heavy with little to no vibration when cranked up. Staging is good but not mind blowing. They aren't conversation inducing - as in they don't have a relaxed response around 3kHz - as in it can be hard to talk over them at moderate volumes. This is in my opinion a more realistic sound but at the same time might not work in an office environment. If you were to pair them with a pentode amplifier you would get a relaxed sound - but you said you already have something.

My only complaint is the mid range detail - it could be better - but given the speakers price point it could just be me being used to speakers 4 times its price.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...esso_ng_hr.jpg

Anyways - just my two cents - I've not heard everything out there - but from what I have heard I do like these the best.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Adam I own a pair of Ascend CBM 170SE's and I thought about the Sierra but did not buy them. I found the 170's to be more forward sounding than I like. I was worried the Sierra's would be as forward. I have also heard speakers with small woofers that boasted good bass but I thought the bass sounded hollow. So how forward is the soundstage and how is the quality of the bass?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Adam I own a pair of Ascend CBM 170SE's and I thought about the Sierra but did not buy them. I found the 170's to be more forward sounding than I like. I was worried the Sierra's would be as forward. I have also heard speakers with small woofers that boasted good bass but I thought the bass sounded hollow. So how forward is the soundstage and how is the quality of the bass?
    JM - Good Questions - you'll have to read my review.... lol lol! nah - I'll tell you.

Lets start by using this definition of "Forward" from Stereophile -

"forward, forwardness A quality of reproduction which seems to place sound sources closer than they were recorded. Usually the result of a humped midrange, plus a narrow horizontal dispersion pattern from the loudspeaker. See "Row-A sound." Compare "laid-back.""

I would say that with a digital source the sound seemed to be more closer to me then the to the speakers - with my turntable - the sound was more inline with the speakers. But if something is forward I have to know how it was recorded - which means I'd have to have some good knowledge of some of my classical and jazz recordings. But with rock and other studio projects - whose to say what is forward and what isn't. They are all close mic'd. But back to CDP vs. Analog - I've started to noticed this type of forward sound on systems from $100,000 to $2000. (I'll explain more when I do the Marten room write up - I heard tape/tape@24bit/24bit/16bit/CD) So... IDK what to say other than this seems to be an effect from a digital source - and maybe some speakers push this effect further. But nothing ever jumped out at me, out from the field it was within. With the bass being rear ported and sometimes feeling behind the speakers - this could maybe be a type of 'forward' sound but I'd argue it has more to do with cohesion.

As far as bass is concerned, the size is larger than the resolution. They reminded me of the RS6 mid bloom and boom I heard with my set up. But - in the case of speakers this size - and the variety of music I play, I'd go with a larger and more engaging bass than a leaner more detailed bass - for speakers this size/price. Comparing the Axiom M3v3 (50Hz) I have in, or even the $4000 Brodmann's (55Hz) or the TB2i (40Hz) and the Sierra-1 (39Hz - in room?) - It seems there is a tipping point where resolution provided in the bass out ways the lack of thump (Brodmann FS Series) where as with the Axiom M3v3 being detailed they have no thump (the TB2i were a great mix of both) - I'd say I'd take - in the sub $1000 price range - the Sierra-1 boom because it is just more emotionally engaging. The Axioms (being a lot cheaper and only going to 50Hz) are clean and detailed - but for me personally just not going to suck me in because they lack enough of a dynamic swing, detailed or not. This is just personal opinion in this case. I think for $350 the M3v3 are mind boggling clean and open, but they don't get me off.

FYI - edited shortly after posting ... for a better explanation....

NHT Classic 3's, B&W 685's, Monitor Audio, PSB Image B6's, Epos
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I run a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones with a vintage Sansui integrated amp. They paired well with an old NAD receiver that I passed down to my son too. It was only 25wpc but drove the AEs easily. My AEs are probably more than 10 years old by now. I would like to hear some of their new models. Check'em out if you can. My old pair has a lush midrange and impressive bass weight for a bookshelf speaker. The fabric dome tweeter lacks a little sparkle and detail but it's not shrill at all - nice compromise for a budget speak. Of course AE may have gone to crap by now but you got me thinking back to my first faves. Because of their British heritage I'd like to hear them with a Rega tt. Good luck!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

Check these out, still on special price
    http://www.musicdirect.com/search/advanced_search.php

I ordered a larger pair but have not received them yet so cannot comment. Should make a good conversation piece Really though do some research these are supposed to be something special.
    What are we looking for, Mr. P? I tried the link and got the empty advanced search page at music direct. Now I'm really curious.

Suspended
    I'm sorry about the link, it was to show the Zu Audio, Omen. A single 10" full range driver with no crossover and a tweeter that picks up at 10k. They come in a couple of interesting finishes as well. I had temporary insanity though because they are towers. There is a bookshelf for less money but it doesn't play as low.
    Last edited by Mr Peabody; 01-14-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm sorry about the link, it was to show the Zu Audio, Omen. A single 10" full range driver with no crossover and a tweeter that picks up at 10k. They come in a couple of interesting finishes as well. I had temporary insanity though because they are towers. There is a bookshelf for less money but it doesn't play as low.
    I wasn't sold on Zu after my audition at RMAF, but that turned out to be bad electronics.

Let me know what you think MP - I'd be interested to hear.

Forum Regular
    Thanks all for your recommendations. it seems to me i would have quite a few more options if i bumped up my budget to $1000, which i will do. Anything else come to mind if $1000 is the budget? Thanks again for helping out a newbie to this site......i am enjoying reading all the various posts and reviews.

the guru - sjofnhifi - thing has some bass! and is very good across the board.

Forum Regular

Check the Mackies 824 for 37 Hz bass.................

T just ordered a pair of HR824mkII for the kitchen. And they come with amps.

http://www.mackie.com/products/hrmk2series/design.html

One seller's details:

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.a...l=1&src=mackie

You have many choices, from $180 each to $650 each, and they all have amps &, I believe, speaker feedback control:

http://www.wwbw.com/Mackie-MR5-Activ...-i1386321.wwbw
    http://www.wwbw.com/Mackie-MR8-Refer...-i1512401.wwbw
    http://www.wwbw.com/Mackie-HR624mk2-...-i1598068.wwbw
    http://www.wwbw.com/Mackie-HR624mk2-...-i1512402.wwbw
    http://www.wwbw.com/Mackie-HR824mk2-...-i1512403.wwbw

You can also check zZounds. Musician's Friend may be sold out. Music123 has new [but only one HR824 mint condition used for $515].

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I have been enjoying the Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-1 speakers.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...esso_ng_hr.jpg

Anyways - just my two cents - I've not heard everything out there - but from what I have heard I do like these the best.
    I second Acoustic Sierra-1. Incredibly musical considering the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mash

Mackie - like the guitar amps/pa systems maker?

One seller's details:

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.a...l=1&src=mackie

You have many choices, from $180 each to $650 each, and they all have amps &, I believe, speaker feedback control:

Good choice I suspect, Mash. Studio monitors are a potentially excellent -- but usually overlooked -- option.

Not only do they have built-in amps with custom tuned crossovers, but often they have "accoustic space" settings that ease placement issues. Also, they typically can handle lots and power, and they use controlled dispersion, and/or anti-defraction front panel designs. If there's a problem, it's that studio monitors are designed more for accuracy than for euphonics, and a lot of people "can't handle the true".

The Mackie HR825Mk2's look very convincing.

Last edited by Feanor; 01-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Forum Regular

I have a confession about my kitchen Mackies....

I use A.R.T. Tube MP Studio units for volume control, etc. Yep- "Tube" as in vacuum tubes. Sneaky, right? You can find A.R.T. at zZounds, Music123, Musician's Friend, Woodwind & Brasswind, etc.

I have not yet used A.R.T. Tube MP Studio units with the TV Mackies. When we want music in the bedroom (No smart comments!) I usually switch to the Jolida/Magnepan/Velodyne SS setup. But not always.....

Yes, Adam- Mackie makes pro gear.

Your comments are right on the mark, Mr. Feanor. THE hr824 HAVE 3 SETTINGS JUST FOR PLACEMENT W/R/T WALLS AND CORNERS.

I would note that the Mackies are easy to live with for the long term. I plan to replace the HR824's in the kitchen with a pair of HR824mk2 units. Theh I plan on working up an all-HR824 surround for the bedroom...... unless I decide to use those HR824's on the patio, but this is not likely because they are too good to risk any weather exposure.

Forum Regular

I have a confession about our kitchen Mackies....

I use A.R.T. Tube MP Studio units for volume control, etc. Yep- "Tube" as in vacuum tubes. Sneaky, right? You can find A.R.T. at zZounds, Music123, Musician's Friend, Woodwind & Brasswind, etc.

I have not yet used A.R.T. Tube MP Studio units with the TV Mackies. I have a pair of MP Studios on hand but I am not (yet) using them. When we want music in the bedroom (No smart comments!) I usually switch to the Jolida/Magnepan/Velodyne-SS setup. But not always.....

Yes, Adam- Mackie makes pro gear.

Your comments are right on the mark, Mr. Feanor. For example, the HR824 have 3 settings just to compensate for placement w/r/t walls & corners.

I would note that I have found the Mackies easy to live with for the long term. I plan to replace the HR824's in the kitchen with a pair of HR824mk2 units. Then I plan on working up an all-HR824 surround for the bedroom...... unless I decide to use those HR824's on the patio, but this is not likely because they are too good to risk any weather exposure.

Forum Regular

Why did I use the ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp ??

Features of the ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

VU Meter and switchable OPL (brickwall limiting)
    Hand-selected tube
    Up to 60 dB of gain
    Variable input & output gain
    XLR & 1/4" inputs & putputs
    +48V Phantom Power & phase reversal switch
    Can function as a direct box with impedance matching

ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp by ART
    Buy new: $29.99

4 new from $29.99
    4 used from $23.50

Two for stereo then cost about $60.

1/4" Jack-to-A3M XLR Plug Adapter/Transformer Model: 274-017 | Catalog #: 274-017

Price: $18.49

A3F XLR Jack-to-1/4" Plug Adapter/Transformer Model: 274-016 | Catalog #: 274-016

Price: $19.69

Two for stereo cost about $37 - $40.

You can see that using the ART units costs only a little more that using the adapter/transformer from RS when we need to use balanced XLR interconnects for long interconnects, in my case 50 feet long. You can use unbalanced interconnects up to .... ummm ... 25 feet IYAL.

My point is that for our audiophile projects, using pro gear can offer a better, more flexible, and a more cost-effective solution compared to using audiophile gear. Be flexible and investigate!
    Last edited by Mash; 01-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.

My point is that for our audiophile projects, using pro gear can offer a better, more flexible, and a more cost-effective solution compared to using audiophile gear. Be flexible and investigate!
    I'll buy that. For my next home theatre, (if there should ever be a next one), I'm going for a prepro with XLR outs and active studio monitors all around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information