Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96

    Authorized Speaker Dealers vs. Online Speaker Dealers/Ebay

    What did you choose? Could you explain why you chose it, were you satisfied with your decison(s) and if you had to do it again what would you do differently.

    I am asking these things because I have a decision to make about how I buy my speakers. From whom you purchase your speakers is just as important as what speakers you buy.

    My decision is either purchase a pair of speakers from a certified dealer, pay $2000 with taxes and no shipping, plus they allow exchanges for trade-ups within one year and you get the factory warranty and good customer service or I purchase from a non-factory authorized dealer, pay $1600 plus shipping and no taxes, wait for speakers to ship, hope that speakers don't get damaged in shipping, no trade-ups, 30 day money back gaurantee minus shipping, no factory warranty but dealer will warranty for same time and prob. worse customer service.

    Given these facts what which would you choose?

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    halifax,nova scotia,canada
    Posts
    1,083
    The dealer everytime,without question.For many reasons,you get to listen before you buy,warranty is important,goodwill towards future purchases,good pricing on said purchases.When they get to know you and your system,the guys at the shop can be a valuable resource as you expand or upgrade in the future.When i started upgrading to a good system i picked a good store and have stuck with them and get many benefits,trying at home before buying and good advice even if it goes against their product lines.A few extra dollars can be worth it in the long run.

    bill

  3. #3
    Utmostjamin1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    198
    I bought my Front speakers via a local authorized dealer.. they were a pair of RF-7 by Klipsch... I paid slightly over 2 grand for them.. well I wanted to eventually replace my remaining rat shack speakers, I looked at the RC-7 center from the dealer,,, $900 they wanted for it.. they also wanted that much for the pair of surrounds (RS-7)
    I saw someone on ebay selling the center for $500 and the surrounds for $500. needless to say thats where i went is the online dealer.. this was before Klipsch started going after unauthorized dealers.. Needless to say i saved near $600 by the time shipping was included.. the only bad thing UPS left them sitting on my front porch when i got home... anyone could have stolen them..or if it happened to rain yikes....Ive now had my speakers for 3 years and no problems whatsover with the speakers.
    if your concerned about warrenty and service go with the local dealer,,, if you want to save some significant dollars go with the online..you just have to forgo the warenty usually and take some chances with shipping. if it was a difference of say 1-200 dollars i would have gone with the local dealer but $600 I can buy a decent sub or another piece of equipment for that amount of cash.
    just make sure you pay for it with a credit card... even if paying with paypal use your card. just my recomendations

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    Oh, good. Now we've got a debate going on.
    Yes, it would be wisest to go with the authorized dealer but at what monetary point do you have to choose to go with the online dealer?

    If I bought my speakers online I'd save $400 on the $2000 set. That's 20% savings.

  5. #5
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    There are some different benefits to whatever route you decide to chose. The only thing I have a problem with is going to a dealer to audition and then turning around and buying the same product online whether it's used or new from an internet store front. If you audition a product at a dealer you should buy it from a dealer. Notice I don't say that you should buy it from the same dealer. I also believe quite strongly that these guys should be competing among themselves. That's not always possible but many times with a phone book and a tank of gas it can be done. Naturally you'll have to factor that into the price as well. A dealer can offer significant piece of mind and that's got to be worth something. Keeping the doors open is also important if you want to be able to go audition products in the future. This comes with a higher price tag. IMO, with better dealers it comes with a "smaller" higher price tag. If someone tells me MSRP is their policy, that's their right, but I won't be going back. There's more than one dealer for a reason.

    A lot of times, I already know what I want. This can be based on nothing more than curiousity or maybe even an avalanche of reviews and comments I've read online. In this case I really like audiogon for audio purchases. While it's not like there's never been a scam on audiogon, the odds are significantly better than ebay. For the most part the membership is comprised of like minded individuals all looking to do about the same thing. Unload gear in an effort to move to the next level. There is a downside of course, no auditioning. If however you are willing to make the effort to turn around and re-list the product that you don't like things generally work out nicely. Buying used can usually return substantive savings. Much greater than buying new from an online source. There are some tremendous deals available on audiogon and while it can take some effort and occasionally a bit of luck, doing it in the comfort of your home office makes it seem easier. Heck you can even search zipcodes to see what's available in your area. Not having to pay for shipping is like an added bonus.

    Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  6. #6
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Dealers' reputations

    Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    What did you choose? Could you explain why you chose it, were you satisfied with your decison(s) and if you had to do it again what would you do differently.
    ...
    The facts you related don't discuss the reputations of either dealer. If you local dealer goes bust or renegs, you might still have the factory warranty, assuming the maker hasn't gone bust too, but you will have shipping costs. On the other hand, a recognized, well-established online dealer, even if they aren't authorized, would be good for the repairs or replacement if that is stipulated.

    Any warranty is only as good as (1) its specific terms, and (2) the ability and willingness of the quarantor to honor it.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    356
    That's not true, Feanor. Warranty obligations are largely determind by the state in which you live and the manufacturer does business. No amount of boilerplate legal mumbo-jumbo can mitigate obligations, either implied or expressed. Notice, the last line in every warranty says something to the effect that "some or all of the above may or may not apply due to specific local circumstances." Which is not to say warranty can be made easy or painful at the discretion of the manufacturer. The rules are clear, however.

    For a $2,000.00 purchase and large, heavy items I would certainly buy locally. For a couple of hundred bucks and something easily shipped, buy online.

    jocko

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The facts you related don't discuss the reputations of either dealer. If you local dealer goes bust or renegs, you might still have the factory warranty, assuming the maker hasn't gone bust too, but you will have shipping costs. On the other hand, a recognized, well-established online dealer, even if they aren't authorized, would be good for the repairs or replacement if that is stipulated.

    Any warranty is only as good as (1) its specific terms, and (2) the ability and willingness of the quarantor to honor it.
    Well, to remove a few variables in this equation, let's just say that both dealers have fair reputations, ok Feanor.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    i did however leave out the fact, albeit an implied fact, that the authorized dealer is local and the unauthorized dealer is internet.

  10. #10
    Suspended superpanavision70mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    619
    I would give the dealer the business for several reasons. It's always a great feeling giving business to someone local and you can always go back there for any suggestions and they respect your business. Internet won't give you that. You never know down the line what other type of business deals you might work out either. I would definitely go with the local dealer and they will thank you greatly for it.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular Florian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,959
    My dealer is 1200km away but for big items i still drive and pick them up. I rather support a dealer who has a worker then buy online and kill the local stores.

    -Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

  12. #12
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Now we're talking lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by jocko_nc
    That's not true, Feanor. Warranty obligations are largely determind by the state in which you live and the manufacturer does business. No amount of boilerplate legal mumbo-jumbo can mitigate obligations, either implied or expressed. Notice, the last line in every warranty says something to the effect that "some or all of the above may or may not apply due to specific local circumstances." Which is not to say warranty can be made easy or painful at the discretion of the manufacturer. The rules are clear, however.

    For a $2,000.00 purchase and large, heavy items I would certainly buy locally. For a couple of hundred bucks and something easily shipped, buy online.

    jocko
    So if your dealer is a dork you can take him to court? That's not a pretty scenario especially if he's 1000 miles away in a different state or country.

    What I meant to say is that dealers will rarely exceed the terms of their waranties, even if they are great otherwise. So it comes around that the reputation of the dealer is paramount and your principal guarantee.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    94
    I didn't see any mention of buying from an authorized online dealer. I recently did so and was satisfied. The delivery was Fed Ex which meant a signature, no leaving it on the porch. Have heard of bad experiences with UPS. Downside being once you have the item, no return (unless defective). I will make every attempt to support local, but a close out price just couln't be passed up.

  14. #14
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Thumbs down Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    I didn't see any mention of buying from an authorized online dealer. I recently did so and was satisfied. The delivery was Fed Ex which meant a signature, no leaving it on the porch. Have heard of bad experiences with UPS. Downside being once you have the item, no return (unless defective). I will make every attempt to support local, but a close out price just couln't be passed up.
    UPS leaves stuff on the porch, even large boxes . Also, I live in Canada and have stuff shipped from the U.S., UPS charges exorbitant brokerage fees.

    FedEx charges lower fees and is less likely to leave it on the porch. USPS+Canada Post is best where an option: CP charges the lowest brokerage and doesn't leave packages on the porch -- at least not larger ones.

  15. #15
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    However, gentlemen, when it comes to speaker kits I would find it rather difficult if not impossible to purchase one from a local authorized speaker dealer or authorized internet dealer.

    After much research I have chosen to purchase a Do It Yourself (DIY) speaker kit http://www.seas.co.uk/acatalog/THOR.pdf . This kit can be purchased at http://www.madisound.com or http://www.zalytron.com or you can build your own box.

    Pics: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/Kits/seaskits.pdf

    Thanks for all your input.

  16. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    However, gentlemen, when it comes to speaker kits I would find it rather difficult if not impossible to purchase one from a local authorized speaker dealer or authorized internet dealer.

    After much research I have chosen to purchase a Do It Yourself (DIY) speaker kit http://www.seas.co.uk/acatalog/THOR.pdf . This kit can be purchased at http://www.madisound.com or http://www.zalytron.com or you can build your own box.

    Pics: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/Kits/seaskits.pdf

    Thanks for all your input.
    I hope I have made a wise decision.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    356
    I think you're going to like THAT kit a whole bunch. I've been wanting to hear a review of it. Let us know how it goes.

    jocko

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko_nc
    I think you're going to like THAT kit a whole bunch. I've been wanting to hear a review of it. Let us know how it goes.

    jocko
    Thanks, Jocko.
    I'm ordering it after payday (Friday) so maybe I'll get it sometime next week or so.
    I'll keep ya posted. I know I'm going to like them. Hell they're just about top of line as good as you can get speakers except for their real low end bass response and that's why they created subs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •