Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Lightbulb Auditioned Paradigm Studio 100 v3 today

And I must say this is a nice speaker. Without knowing what I was comparing this speaker to and how much the other speaker cost I must say I was totally blown away when I found out. For two hours I compared the above mentioned speakers with the Revel F50 floorstanders which retail for $7,500. While the Revels were a bit smoother and tighter it wasnt $5,300 better(if I was rich it would've been). The 100's had weight, air, and great midrange performance. They were not boxy at all. The midbass was a tad warm however. I wish the dealer would've had port plugs so I could've heard the speakers that way. I listened to the Studio 40's also. Those seemed too bright to me and a bit honky in the midrange and lacked weight. After many auditions of different speakers and then looking at the performance graphs I've come to the conclusion that I like speakers with slightly elevated bass and a slightly recessed midband. Believe it or not the new Paradigm Monitor 7's v3 sound pretty damned good too. I'll probably be purchasing the 100's as soon as I can bring ALL my classical music in for an audition

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by newbsterv2
    After many auditions of different speakers and then looking at the performance graphs I've come to the conclusion that I like speakers with slightly elevated bass and a slightly recessed midband.
    I have long found a slightly recessed upper midrange to be desirable, and the 'slightly' elevated bass can deliver a warmer sound. Good speakers with those characteristics seem to be more forgiving and sound good with a lot of recordings.

I heard the version 3 of the Studio 100 a little, though I spent most of my time in that store listening to the Signature 8--even though the one I might buy would most likely be the Signature 2. I found the Studio 100 to be quite a nice speaker but a little colored, certainly by comparison with the Signature 8. But I liked the Studio 100 and it has long been a really good value.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

Question B&W 700 Series

What do you think of the B&W 700 series, Pat D?? I listened to the 703's, the biggest model, and their midrange was way too projected but the things imaged like the dickens and had nicer bass the the Studio 100 v3's. Did I mention they LOOK 100X better too??
    I've read reviews that noticed the same thing about the B&W's that I noticed as well. They said something about a peak around 4KHz. I'm going to audition the 704 which is basically the same as the 703 except for its a 2.5 way vs. an all out 3 way. Some reviewers have said that the 704 is ever so slightly shut in around the midband which is probably what I'll like about 'em. The only question I have is why there's 2 ports in the cabinet. 1 in front 1 in back. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    I have long found a slightly recessed upper midrange to be desirable, and the 'slightly' elevated bass can deliver a warmer sound. Good speakers with those characteristics seem to be more forgiving and sound good with a lot of recordings.

I heard the version 3 of the Studio 100 a little, though I spent most of my time in that store listening to the Signature 8--even though the one I might buy would most likely be the Signature 2. I found the Studio 100 to be quite a nice speaker but a little colored, certainly by comparison with the Signature 8. But I liked the Studio 100 and it has long been a really good value.

Forum Regular

My dealer had a pair of the S4 running when I popped in to pick up a pair of speakers that a friend had ordered. I must say the the Signature series is a good line of speakers. Lots of air, very transparent, and tremendous weight. My house-mate and I were looking at speakers for an upgrade and we were hell bent on avoiding Paradigm. But, now that I've heard their next series, I will definitely consider'em.

BTW, the S4 were being driven by Anthem's new flagship series, the Statement. Together, they sounded quite nice.

THOB

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Newbster:

Well I would say you should listen to them - ignore the reviews because reviews will like them no matter what. Pick the one you like best - and if it's a tie or too close to call then I would choose the cheaper or better looking one.

SOmetime in the next few weeks I'm going to get to compare the B&W 700 Series against the new 100V3 and the Signature line and ML, AN, Linn's latest, Reference 3a(I hope the Dulcet) and maybe even Dynaudio's Contour series if my dealer does pick them up after all - all in the same room with the same equipment. That'll be some good hours spent. The dealer doesn't carry every model in stock just the ones they THINK or FEEL are worth carrying from a given company. That makes sense since some amp makers like ASL make something like 40 different amplifiers which takes up tonsof space so they may carry 7-8 of them and not the direct or LIKE unit from Jolida.

I was much more impressed with the 100V2 at Soundhounds with my amp than many other rooms and diffrent gear(or the same room and just a different amp) - so those factors play a huge role. My last review of the 100V2 I said it was a better value than the CDM 9NT though the 9 sounded a bit better for nearly DOUBLE the price??? Not good enough better IMO. But some will pay more for diminishing returns than others which is fine by me.

I've read reviews that noticed the same thing about the B&W's that I noticed as well. They said something about a peak around 4KHz. I'm going to audition the 704 which is basically the same as the 703 except for its a 2.5 way vs. an all out 3 way. Some reviewers have said that the 704 is ever so slightly shut in around the midband which is probably what I'll like about 'em. The only question I have is why there's 2 ports in the cabinet. 1 in front 1 in back. What do you think?
    Each driver in the 704 resides within its own enclosed chamber. Thus, the front port is for the bass driver and the rear port for the kevlar mid-bass. The tweeter actually has the nautilus tube but is set inside the cabinetry so you can't see it as on the N804. Remember that the 703 utilizes the FST midrange while the 704 does not. I have found the 704 is much like the CDM 7NT in that is a more balanced, neutral speaker than their larger brethens (703 & 9NT respectively). YMMV.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record so I apologize in advance, however if you have an opportunity you might try listening to the Von Schweikert VR2's for the same coin or less. I own both B&W and VSA products and can plainly attest that they produce completely different sounds. One is not better or worse than the other, just clearly different. Let's be honest, the difference in sound between the 703/704 and 100v3's is subtle at best. The gap between the B&W's and VSA's is Grand Canyon wide. It's a fun way to see which presentation you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Your observations are pretty much in line with the others that I've seen regarding the 100 v.3s. I've yet to audition that model, but I have tried out the v.3 20 and 40. In general, I thought both of those models were standouts in terms of their imaging and ability to "disappear" with two-channel sources. I was very impressed with them, and did not feel that the 40s were bright or blaring by any stretch. The 40 had better bass extension and slightly more coherent midrange, but the 20s imaged like no other box speaker I've heard in that price range. Definitely a step up on the v.2 20 and 40 that I have at home. If the v.2 to v.3 change to the 100 is anything like the 40, then I would expect the bass on the 100 v.3 to be very well differentiated with substantial weight. In general, the v.3 models have less prominent bass than the v.2, but they make up for it with much more coherent differentiation in the lows and better overall refinement.

Given the price on those Revels, did you get a chance to compare them to the Paradigm Signature S8 (which costs about the same)? My initial impression of the Signature S2 a few months ago was a mixed bag, and I plan to give those another listen given the demo units that I heard were brand new with minimal playing time.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The dirty little secret is out

And I must say this is a nice speaker. Without knowing what I was comparing this speaker to and how much the other speaker cost I must say I was totally blown away when I found out. For two hours I compared the above mentioned speakers with the Revel F50 floorstanders which retail for $7,500. While the Revels were a bit smoother and tighter it wasnt $5,300 better(if I was rich it would've been). The 100's had weight, air, and great midrange performance. They were not boxy at all. The midbass was a tad warm however. I wish the dealer would've had port plugs so I could've heard the speakers that way. I listened to the Studio 40's also. Those seemed too bright to me and a bit honky in the midrange and lacked weight. After many auditions of different speakers and then looking at the performance graphs I've come to the conclusion that I like speakers with slightly elevated bass and a slightly recessed midband. Believe it or not the new Paradigm Monitor 7's v3 sound pretty damned good too. I'll probably be purchasing the 100's as soon as I can bring ALL my classical music in for an audition

Well made speakers in the mid-audiophile catagory have nearly all the same wonderful qualities of the more expensive to astronomical priced ones. Your observations about the smoother and tighter sound of the more expensive Revels is tack on to what you can expect from a more expensive box speaker. It may not seem like it's worth $5300, but the improvements you've seen, along with deeper bass responce, are all the performance you can expect.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Well made speakers in the mid-audiophile catagory have nearly all the same wonderful qualities of the more expensive to astronomical priced ones. Your observations about the smoother and tighter sound of the more expensive Revels is tack on to what you can expect from a more expensive box speaker. It may not seem like it's worth $5300, but the improvements you've seen, along with deeper bass responce, are all the performance you can expect.
    Not really true - perhaps because the basic design of both speakers is very similar - or that Revel is just grossly overpriced - just because something is $5300.00 more does not make it better - on the other hand just because that is the case with Revel does not mean it's the case with every other loudspeaker.

Forum Regular

B & W 705

What do you think of the B&W 700 series, Pat D?? I listened to the 703's, the biggest model, and their midrange was way too projected but the things imaged like the dickens and had nicer bass the the Studio 100 v3's. Did I mention they LOOK 100X better too??
    The only one in the 700 series I've heard is the B & W 705. I thought it was very nice and we enjoyed it on a variety of material. Very smooth with a nice image. I think I could learn to live with them. I generally listened to smaller speakers because I have a big subwoofer and don't really need a very big speaker. You can find John Atkinson's measurements on the Stereophile site and they are generally excellent. What the other 700s sound like I couldn't say.

There are quite a few very fine speakers available nowadays, so look around and decide which ones you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Not really true - perhaps because the basic design of both speakers is very similar - or that Revel is just grossly overpriced - just because something is $5300.00 more does not make it better - on the other hand just because that is the case with Revel does not mean it's the case with every other loudspeaker.
    Keep in mind that the Studio 100 v.3 and the Signature S8 are even more similar in design (the S8 being 4" taller with five drivers instead of four), yet have a comparable price gap. Whether or not any noted performance improvements are worth a 4x increase in price is of course a subjective evaluation.

People in glass houses

Actually it's VERY true, especially with the overpriced AN speaker line.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular

Many good speakers at different prices.

RGA has failed to distinguish between a proof and an illustration.

In any case, especailly after listening to the PSB Stratus Minis, I quite agree that there are a number of more reasonably priced speakers that sound as good or just about as good as many excellent speakers which are much more expensive.

Oh yes, the B & W 705 costs somewhat more, but it's excellent, too. The Paradigm Signature S2 also seems very fine, and there are a number of other speakers I would like to hear.

I heard the Revel Performa M20 and it is a fine speaker, although I would have to play around with the tweeter level control to see whether I prefer it to others. Briefly heard the bigger Revel, too.

If I ever could hear the Audio Note speakers, I could perhaps determine whether they are overpriced or not. I Emailed the US distributor a few months ago as to where I could find some to audition, but never received a reply.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    PATD

Umm we all bandy about terms of excellent or not as good etc - and there is no proof that what you like best is excellent. And AN's website tells you which States and which dealers carry Audio Note - granted their site is not the greatest in set-up(Because they don't put money into it) but the information is there nevertheless. DRCOPE on AudioAsylum I believe has the complete dealer locater list.

Geoffcin
    "Actually it's VERY true, especially with the overpriced AN speaker line."

Have fun with that belief.

ohhhh...its on...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

woooohoooo....lol...yea yea yea!!!....lmao
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

That GIF is inspired!

Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    woooohoooo....lol...yea yea yea!!!....lmao
    It reminds me of the first time I saw "Temple of Doom" on laserdisk. The rep had a copy playing on a Pioneer laserdisk player with a shuttle jog wheel. We were playing the sceen where he pulls the heart out of the guy back and forth, pulling the heart out and putting it back in. It was totally histerical!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular

Well, the F50...

...was probably my favorite speaker (YBA driven) I have heard in a store... that's why I wanted to listen to the M20s, I was looking for an upgrade at a reasonable price.

Don't get me wrong - I suppose I'm a Paradigm fan - I have enjoyed my Studio 60s for 5 years (I still am), but my M20s are a better speaker (IMO, of course... but they really are) than even the new v3 Studio 100s. I feel the big Paradigms are a great value, but simply do not have the "rightness" the baby Revels do. I would also rather have the new S2 than the v3 100s...

I think what is going on here (and why it's almost silly to ask speaker advise) is that the room has to be symbiotic with the speaker. Before I purchased the Studio 60s, I did a lot of reading about them - great speaker, blah, blah... so I figured I would seek out dealers in my area. Well, I listened to a lot of stuff, and it wasn't until the fifth (and last!) dealer on my list that they sounded any good... actually, they sounded REALLY good in the store. This store doesn't even have any fancy room-correction devices (like the others!), the 60s simply WORKED in that particular room. Granted, now there is a plethora of good speakers under $1K that I'm aware of, but they can't always be heard.

I'm wandering a bit, but again, the F50s were the best speaker I've heard - the dealer dumped his Nautilus line for these. Personally, I feel they edge out any of the big boy Nauts - my Signature 800 demo was in a room WAY too small, so I won't bother comparing.

Yes, there are speaker choices that are more "rose tinted" (a fault of the Revels, IMO) but when everything comes together, they deliver a lot of satisfaction. I can't say the M20s are my last speaker, but they are definitely keepers.

cam
    Your exact words, "believe it or not the new Paradigm Monitor 7's v3 sound pretty dam good too". I know the new 100's v3 are impressive and many of your buddies would be drooling to own them but to your ears the mon 7's sound dam good, you said it. Now consider saving alot of money by buying the 7's over the 100's and using the money you saved towards a killer sub or amp. But then maybe your rich and you can afford the 100's and a killer sub and amp.

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Your exact words, "believe it or not the new Paradigm Monitor 7's v3 sound pretty dam good too". I know the new 100's v3 are impressive and many of your buddies would be drooling to own them but to your ears the mon 7's sound dam good, you said it. Now consider saving alot of money by buying the 7's over the 100's and using the money you saved towards a killer sub or amp. But then maybe your rich and you can afford the 100's and a killer sub and amp.

Ok cam check this out. Right now I own the mon. 7 v2's. The v3 sounded a bit better but still had that "more than i want recessed midrange" i couldnt settle with them thats for sure but for someone starting out i'd recommend them to audition. i've come to the conclusion that even if I have to spend about 3k I'd rather do it now and get it over with. Of course I probbaly wont be happy forever but i just want a speaker that i can listen to for long periods of time that are lots of fun to listen to.

Forum Regular

Unhappy

[QUOTE=Jimmy C]...was probably my favorite speaker (YBA driven) I have heard in a store... that's why I wanted to listen to the M20s, I was looking for an upgrade at a reasonable price.

You know Jimmy C, there was something about those revel f50's. every cd i played sounded great. those speakers were definetely rolled off a bit up top but no cd sounded dull or boring. listening to dave brubecks album "time further out" i had a strange revelation on the 2nd track called bluette. in the beginning of the song the bass player is using a bow on his instrument asi fi it were a cello. of all the speakers i have - i have to specifically listen for this to hear it but not with the f50's. these were the only speakers that sounded so absolutely clear and devoid of any artificial boost in any area. while the midrange at times seemed to be ever so slightly projected it wasn't it was the recording. if those speakers were $3,000 i would've bought them on the spot but $8,000.......i'm not rich yet And for the M20's.......They were so boring to me i had them on for about a minute and i was done. later i found out they have tone controls on them maybe the treble was cut too much i'll have to reaudition.

cam

No need for an upgrade later

Ok cam check this out. Right now I own the mon. 7 v2's. The v3 sounded a bit better but still had that "more than i want recessed midrange" i couldnt settle with them thats for sure but for someone starting out i'd recommend them to audition. i've come to the conclusion that even if I have to spend about 3k I'd rather do it now and get it over with. Of course I probbaly wont be happy forever but i just want a speaker that i can listen to for long periods of time that are lots of fun to listen to.
    Your thinking into the future which is what I did not do. If I would have just spent the money needed to get what I really wanted from the begining I wouldn't have had to waste my hard earned money on baby steps. It took me 3 subs before I got what I really wanted. All that wasted money on incremental steps up only makes the dealers more money. Bravo, atleast you know to spend the 3k now because you know you will just do it later anyways.

Forum Regular

PATD

Umm we all bandy about terms of excellent or not as good etc - and there is no proof that what you like best is excellent. And AN's website tells you which States and which dealers carry Audio Note - granted their site is not the greatest in set-up(Because they don't put money into it) but the information is there nevertheless. DRCOPE on AudioAsylum I believe has the complete dealer locater list.

Geoffcin
    "Actually it's VERY true, especially with the overpriced AN speaker line."

Have fun with that belief.
    Well, by the same token, there is no proof that the speakers you like best are excellent, either. I have learned that your preferences in speakers seem to be very different from mine. Of course, I have never maintained that the speakers I prefer are the best.

Some months ago, while were in travel status, I looked at the Audio Note site and I didn't find all those dealers, so I asked the US distributor where I might go No reply. Now I'm at home and now I can easily find the dealer list, but there's nothing very close.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Patd

Chances are you probably won't like them - precisely because you don't generally like what I like. And AN does not provide the measurements you want - they don't even tell you the watt ratings. I thought that was something you said a long time ago that without measurements you would not waste your time - they were your way to root out what you didn't like before listening - that's what you said for the De Capo if memory serves. The AN sounds nothing really like the De Capo the midrange is far more front and center than the De Capo -- err the de Capo's midrange is far more pushed back - take your pick.

Audio Note was in the process and still is in moving their company and they are being picked up slowly by US distributors as far as I know. But, some companies like Quad have also mentioned a great aversion to metal tweeters when designing speakers - I agree because that is EXACTLY what I hear when listening to such speakers - Many who don't have the aversion to such speakers will save some money no doubt.

Forum Regular
    Patd

Chances are you probably won't like them - precisely because you don't generally like what I like. And AN does not provide the measurements you want - they don't even tell you the watt ratings. I thought that was something you said a long time ago that without measurements you would not waste your time - they were your way to root out what you didn't like before listening - that's what you said for the De Capo if memory serves. The AN sounds nothing really like the De Capo the midrange is far more front and center than the De Capo -- err the de Capo's midrange is far more pushed back - take your pick.

Audio Note was in the process and still is in moving their company and they are being picked up slowly by US distributors as far as I know. But, some companies like Quad have also mentioned a great aversion to metal tweeters when designing speakers - I agree because that is EXACTLY what I hear when listening to such speakers - Many who don't have the aversion to such speakers will save some money no doubt.
    You certainly manage to read a whole lot of things into a few simple remarks. Let's try to get the logic straight. To set up a list of speakers for auditioning means that I will go looking for those speakers. It does not mean that I won't listen others I come across. I would even try out the De Capos if I came across them, even if just in the hope that I could tell you what I thought of them. In the second place, I can't very well use measurements as a screening tool if I don't have them, can I? Most speaker manufacturers don't supply measurements for their speakers, but a number of magazines do give useful measurements of speakers including Stereophile, the Audio Critic, Audio Ideas Guide, Soundstage (on selected ones) and Sound & Vision. Unfortunately, their methodologies are not the same, so comparisons can be tricky.

In fact, when I was traveling, I emailed the A/N distributor asking where to go, but got no reply. So I certainly did not exclude them from my audition list, except on availability. Now, I must say that so far I have not been overly impressed with the things Peter Q. says, but he may well make some very good speakers. I am not overly impressed by the things Totem says, either, but their Mani-2 is really a fine sounding speaker.

I submit that you do not have a logical basis for relating some faults you find in speakers to their having metal tweeters. One could argue the problem is how the tweeter is integrated with the woofer/midrange. The problem there is that the tweeter, being smaller, has generally a much wider dispersion in the crossover range than the woofer/midrange does, thus producing a "flare" in the power response, to use John Atkinson's terminology.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You certainly manage to read a whole lot of things into a few simple remarks. Let's try to get the logic straight. To set up a list of speakers for auditioning means that I will go looking for those speakers. It does not mean that I won't listen others I come across. I would even try out the De Capos if I came across them, even if just in the hope that I could tell you what I thought of them. In the second place, I can't very well use measurements as a screening tool if I don't have them, can I? Most speaker manufacturers don't supply measurements for their speakers, but a number of magazines do give useful measurements of speakers including Stereophile, the Audio Critic, Audio Ideas Guide, Soundstage (on selected ones) and Sound & Vision. Unfortunately, their methodologies are not the same, so comparisons can be tricky.

In fact, when I was traveling, I emailed the A/N distributor asking where to go, but got no reply. So I certainly did not exclude them from my audition list, except on availability. Now, I must say that so far I have not been overly impressed with the things Peter Q. says, but he may well make some very good speakers. I am not overly impressed by the things Totem says, either, but their Mani-2 is really a fine sounding speaker.

I submit that you do not have a logical basis for relating some faults you find in speakers to their having metal tweeters. One could argue the problem is how the tweeter is integrated with the woofer/midrange. The problem there is that the tweeter, being smaller, has generally a much wider dispersion in the crossover range than the woofer/midrange does, thus producing a "flare" in the power response, to use John Atkinson's terminology.

Sorry didn't mean to read anything in but you said measurements were a screening out tool so I assumed that meant a screening out of the audition list tool.

The faults I found I never said was logical - I actually go and listen with good equipment in pretty good to very good rooms...it's experiencial basis. Not all metal tweeters are bad -- and maybe they are not bad at all by themselves - maybe you are correct and it't the implementation that is poor. SO far with few exceptions I have not heard them Implemented correctly(or the tweeter is drawing too much attention to itself).

As for Peter you will not be the first nor the last to disagreewith what he says - had i read the web-site before I heard the product I would have passed them over. The problem is I've heard his inferior SET amps and his inferior CD technology and his old fashioned inferior speaker designs - non slim line non bevelled edges to reducestanding waves etc and it bested the more expensive B&W model Nautilus with 8 top of the line Musical FIdelity power amps. So it is very very hard for a layperson not to believe what he has to say - technically inferior but it does not sound that way to me.

Of course this may also sound like the tubes versus SS debate where both sides scream accuracy versus 2nd order harmonics blah blah blah.

The prolem with all of it is is that even when the measurer at Stereophile grumbled about the De Capo he was surprised that the reviewer didn't notice this or that about the sound - UHF listens first then measures and confirms what they heard. If you don't hear it then something wasn't measured correctly - and even then what stereophile shows as a weakness was and is viewed as a huge strength of the speaker??????

I chose not to get them simply because the depth of soundstage seemed a bit imposed on all recordings - that to me was better than all the speakers using metal tweeters that added detail = distortion or adding something not on the recordings but something that sounds cool ---- for a while anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information