Thread: Ascend Owners?

Forum Regular

Ascend Owners?

Does anybody here have any experience with both the Ascend cbm-170 and the Paradigm monitor 3's or studio 20's??? It appears that the 170's are a true "Giant Killer" and a true bargain of the century. That is, I called them up and was told that they are similar to the studio 20's. Is this true? Heck, I love the minis very much but the staff at Ascend told me they were more on par with the 20's. The 20's are out of my price range but the 170's sure aren't. Also, is the Cmt-340c that much better than the 170 center? Are the cmt-340m that much better than the 170's in terms of price? I must admit that the frequency response of the 170 sure is flat-almost too flat to believe. My plans are to upgrade to the Monitor 3 v.4 for my fronts, the cc-370 v.4 for my center, and the mini's v.4 for the rears. But, I am torn due to the reviews of the Ascends 170's. Keep in mind that I do put more emphasis on music listening in 2.1 mode. However, I do like that true wrap around effect from my system when watching dvd. I also plan on adding another PS-1000 sub as well to enjoy 2.2 stereo listening where SQ is a must with good bass thump. I want a second sub for better balance as well as to reduce some standing waves. Any unbiased advice would be welcomed.....any takers?
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

Forum Regular

Calling All Ascend Owners!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    Does anybody here have any experience with both the Ascend cbm-170 and the Paradigm monitor 3's or studio 20's??? It appears that the 170's are a true "Giant Killer" and a true bargain of the century. That is, I called them up and was told that they are similar to the studio 20's. Is this true? Heck, I love the minis very much but the staff at Ascend told me they were more on par with the 20's. The 20's are out of my price range but the 170's sure aren't. Also, is the Cmt-340c that much better than the 170 center? Are the cmt-340m that much better than the 170's in terms of price? I must admit that the frequency response of the 170 sure is flat-almost too flat to believe. My plans are to upgrade to the Monitor 3 v.4 for my fronts, the cc-370 v.4 for my center, and the mini's v.4 for the rears. But, I am torn due to the reviews of the Ascends 170's. Keep in mind that I do put more emphasis on music listening in 2.1 mode. However, I do like that true wrap around effect from my system when watching dvd. I also plan on adding another PS-1000 sub as well to enjoy 2.2 stereo listening where SQ is a must with good bass thump. I want a second sub for better balance as well as to reduce some standing waves. Any unbiased advice would be welcomed.....any takers?
    Come on-surely there are some Ascend owners out there? I am looking to get some unbiased feedback from members who have experience with both Ascend and Paradigm. I realize that speaker preference is subjective but I am so curious about the CBM-170's. Anyone care to elaborate?
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

You should do a search for CBM-170

Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    Come on-surely there are some Ascend owners out there? I am looking to get some unbiased feedback from members who have experience with both Ascend and Paradigm. I realize that speaker preference is subjective but I am so curious about the CBM-170's. Anyone care to elaborate?
    I seem to remember several threads on these speakers. Ascend is a very focused company, and builds these small speakers to perform. I've never head them personally, but I know several members are happy with them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Here's a thread on just what you are looking for;

Ascend Acoustic's CBM-170
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Geoff once again thanks for the help. This thread helped some. maybe I can find more.

Thread Information