Ajani

Anyone tried open baffle speakers?

So I've been thinking about building this:

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm

Using a pair of Fostex fe206en 8" full-range drivers...

I know the bass response would be pitiful... But it looks like a cheap, fun, DIY project...

Just curious to know if anyone has owned/auditioned/built an open baffle speaker and what the results were like...

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Dude poultrygeist is an expert. Search OB in the speaker room, it will probably be all of his threads. The FE206 will hardly be pitiful in terms of bass response. No, it won't have any slam or deep extension, but not pitiful.

As far as a build goes OB are stupid easy, infact, you can't even call it a build. I think you'll enjoy full range. The good thing is that once you have the drivers, there's other options in terms of cab designs.

I would rec a subwoofer Ajani for that deep hiphop bass that I know you dig. Check out Hsu Research.

Forum Regular
    Ajani,

If you want to get your feet wet in OB you should consider this easy to make folding wing design. Although taller than the flat baffles you linked, their ability to fold makes for a decent foot print and their bass is much better.

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/

The FE206 won't be as good an option as the much cheaper Betsy driver. A true OB driver will have a Qt much higher than .50 and the higher the better. The $19 eight inch B20 Pioneer drivers from Parts Express also work well in the folding wing OB's.

I really want to which is why i bought me some Infinity 6 by 9". They have ideal specs for OB use. I don't know when I'll get to it though...

Ajani
    I'm starting to wonder if open baffle speakers are really for persons looking to recreate the concert hall experience (eg classical music lovers)... So I suspect it might not be a good fit for me....

Reading the info on open baffle from CommonSense Audio and checking out various plans online, really has led me to that conclusion...

I'm just worried that OB might end up being like my experience with the Maggie MG12: awful...

Though I suppose I can always buy some cheap board and mount the drivers in OB... and if it sucks then I can put the drivers in some cabinets instead...

Anyway, I'm considering either the Audio Nirvana 'Super 15 Cast Frame' or Audio Nirvana 'Super 12 Cast Frame':

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/

Forum Regular
    If you go with a 12 or 15 inch in OB you'll need a tweeter. The big Hawthorne's work well in OB as they use a coax tweeter for the upper range.

Thread Information