Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any opinions on Jamo Speakers?

Does anybody own Jamo speakers?

Happy about your purchase? Which type did you purchase? Oriel, Concert, 7-series?
    Warmer sound or a colder sound? Dynamic enough?

How good are these speakers compared to other brands? How high-end are these speakers?

thanks!
    [

Suspended
    I do not own a pair but auditioned some Jamo when I was searching for speakers. I heard the series with the concrete front baffle and looked like a bullet was poked through the mid-bass driver. These would have been real contenders for me except the store owner wouldn't let me take them home for an audition. The best amp he had to run them was a Sony ES and even with that they sounded pretty good. I liked the bookshelf at $2k best. It seemed to have punchier bass than the tower with two 6 1/2 drivers. This just may have been because the amp couldn't drive the towers sufficiently. I liked them better than the B&W. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the Jamo to their full potential but from what I did hear I think they are the real thing. I found them to be dynamic and a pleasure to listen to. I don't like to label speakers as "warm" or otherwise, I think a speaker should be neutral and accurately reflect the characteristics of your electronics. I fell for and own Dynaudio. I will always wonder what those Jamos could have done strapped to my Krell.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The new Jamo's have been getting ripped to shreds for horrible sound in both What Hi Fi and the blind listening sessions at Hi fi CHoice.

The older Jamo line is here sold at a drug store called London Drugs which compared to the low end Klipsch series is pretty good because jamo avoids the sibilance in the highs. The older series isn't bad but it's kind of lackluster...always been my experience...there'snothing really egregious aboutJamo's sound but nothing that makes my toes tap either. The older line is completely outclassed by comparable B&W's, Missions, Wharfedales IMO.

Most of their speakers if not all do possess a soft dome so it's surprising that they can sound brighter than some metal tweeters...which shows there are always exceptions...Vandersteen uses metal drivers and are anything but bright so it goes both ways. Some Jamo did get 4 stars but are the expensive ones...these more budget contenders did less well.
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1956
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=768
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=516

SO it depends on your budget.

Jamo isn't a brand I think of when someone mentions high end speakers - but people's view of high end are different.

Right, right, right...

I have to agree with the fact that some Jamo-models are indeed outclassed by brands like B&W and Wharfedale's.

The point of this post was to check what the audio-community thinks of Jamo.
    I find that Jamo indeed works with cheaper materials and does less R&D than lets say B&W. But they do manage to be cheaper and still provide a true hifi-experience.

I myself once had the choice between B&W 600 series and Jamo 7.7's. I chose the last one. Because the 600 series, to me personally, are ridiculous. They lauched the series with an enormous publicity to be the more affordable range of B&W. They are indeed more dynamic than most speakers but only in the high's and mid's, they completely lack bass-authority. B&W noticed this! What happened? B&W put them in a HT-configuration with bookshelfs as surroundspeakers and a big ugly subwoofer added to give the necessary bass.
    I don't hate B&W, on the contrary! I love the 700 series and the nautilusseries but they simply a little to costly for my taste.
    Now the Jamo 7.7's have enough bass, the high's and mid's are very dynamic aswell, thanks to fiberopticfabric-cones.

But that's just my opinion apparently?!
    [

Forum Regular
    Ok....now I might not own Jamo but they are not as bad as Hifichoice makes them out to be....all these reviews must be taken with a pinch of salt.....

I have heard Jamo extensively(though I dont own them). Some of their range is very very good. Yes, they do have the cheaper versions too but then again they cater to all segments of the speaker market.

Jamo E855, E870, D570, D590, D830, D870 are all very very good speakers especially the last four. They do very well in the market too. I suggest you audition any of the above and you will like them for their price point.

Jamo outclassed by Wharfedale ???? B&W I can swallow but Wharfedale ? Sorry I dont agree to that at all.....by the way the above mentioned jamo's are not bright at all.

I Hope...

I hope your referring to the post RGA placed on this thread?! I wouldn't call Jamo outclassed since I mentioned "some Jamo-speaker models are outclassed"! And indeed, Jamo tries hard to appeal to all pricecategories!

Funny thing happened! My usual dealer for audio-equipment has abandoned audio and gave the audio-part to be run by one of his partners in their firm. Prices went up immediately.
    I believe you can imagine my disappoinment! I now have to pay about 10% to 15% more for the same main-speakerpair. I'm already thinking of switching dealers. (My money doesn't grow in my garden, I have to go out and earn it!!)
    [

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I'm no expert but I recently acquired a vintage Sony T 2000A/T-3200A amplifier combo and for the moment am using an old set of Jamo D-2 bookshelf speakers with it. I had no idea that music could sound this good. The speakers weren't much to listen to on my old unit, an ICC600 integrated amp, but are remarkable on a good, low distortion amplifier with enough power to drive them. They aren't notable for their bass which suits my listening tastes, but they have led me to understand finally what the "soundstage" people here talk about is.

Forum Regular
    Sterio,

I had a family member who swears in this brand. He recently upgraded them 2 years ago, not sure which model, they had a black timber finish with two 6.5 drivers (I think) and a small dome tweeter.
    This was driven by an older Rotel amp, I have to admit they did a good job sounded, best way to descibe, laid back ( i suppose, you could call it warm). These speakers don't match my music taste, but, nevertheless I was impressed. P.S they did a good job of really filling up a very large garage.

Brad

Forum Regular
    careless b,

yeah ...I know what you are syaing.....Most people just wave them off as a lifestyle product but some of their models are serious stuff like...E855, D570/590, D830, D870.

People should hear them. yes they do have a sort of laid back sound but the D870 is really a very very good speaker.

nightflier

Acquiring a pair is a whole other story, however

I can't say anything about the quality, but pay attention to what one post mentioned: that the store would not let him try the speakers out at his home. I have had similar experiences with Jamo. They are essentially a European manufacturer that hasn't found a way to break into the American market. If, and that's a big if, you can find a dealer, then you have some options, but personally I stay away from products that are so secretive. Kind of reminds me of Klipsch, which Jamo claims to outperform, although I have not heard that. And their website is a mess too, if you want to find out specs., good luck.

There are so many other companies that have excellent customer support, that Jamo was just never an option for me. If you happily own a pair already, then I'm sure you will disagree, so don't flame me. This was just my experience.

Forum Regular
    just could be a story of an un-cooperative store owner.

nevertheless, they are worth a listen.

Forum Regular
    I've had a pair of Jamo S60 surround speakers for about 10-12 years. They sound good enough that I'm not in any kind of hurry to replace them. Not great, but good.

Forum Regular
    Kind of reminds me of Klipsch, which Jamo claims to outperform
    Actually on Jamo's website they said that Klipsch has just bought them out as of 2/15/05, see link below

http://jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1777&...roductID=17575

I myself was interested as well in the E855 series speakers as I can get them for about %60 off any price I have seen on the internet. I was looking at 2 E855 - Fronts, 4 E8SUR.2 - Surround and 1 E8CEN.2 - Center speaker. I can get all 7 for around $1200.00 US.

If stereophonicfan has purchased the jamo I am curious to know if you were happy with them or anyone else for that matter. I'm not sure if I can do better for $1200.00, if I can someone please speak up. Thanks.

nightflier

Klipsch bought Jamo?

Quote Originally Posted by HAVIC
    Actually on Jamo's website they said that Klipsch has just bought them out as of 2/15/05, see link below

http://jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1777&...roductID=17575
    Wow, that's news. Well I sure hope that this will help with Jamo's distribution woes and the crappy website.

Forum Regular
    i personally preferred the Concert 8s (D830??) to B&W Nautilus 805s... the Jamos are good speakers. Shame about the rest of the range although i'd like to hear the Oriels.

i own a set of jamo in-walls for sourounds and a jamo center. i have mainly proacs for my 2 channel but my wife wanted some home theater sound included. they sound ok, a store in town here carries the whole jamo line, so it came down to price and finish for me...sound gets better as the price goes up...i just use them for my small theater so they work fine.

jamo 661K4 Monitor
    jamo E6CEN Monitor

inwalls sound ok

look great tho.

my wife required me to fit the center channel on the glass shelf under the t.v. stand ( 6" ) so that limited my choices

Sony str-da2000es Digital Amp
    Proac Tablette Ref 8 Monitor
    Definitive Technology Prosub 80 Subwoofer
    sony dvp775 Video
    jamo 661K4 Monitor
    jamo E6CEN Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by stereophonicfan

Happy about your purchase? Which type did you purchase? Oriel, Concert, 7-series?

How good are these speakers compared to other brands? How high-end are these speakers?

thanks!
    My stepfather has a 15 year old system with a Phillips 900 series FA 931 amp (OK) with 6 CD, radio, cassette, LP ....... . . . a n d . . . the Jamo Concert VII.

Relevant info:
    ¤ Complete System Price New: 40 000 Swedish crowns = $6000
    ¤ 300 Watt!!!
    ¤ 3-way, double chamber bass reflex
    ¤ Combined weight per pair = 56 kg
    ¤ Speaker of the year 1989.
    ¤ Biamped for increased clarity
    ¤ The tweeter sounds like a hamster on fire!
    ¤ The middriver...guitar riffs... garglllgl...
    ¤ The TWO push-pull bassdriver inside the cabinet sounds like a bull caught with his balls in the electric fence!

I have spent a few months assessing what is the best speaker to date, before realizing the answer was possibly standing in the my parents living room. When I have tried the ATC and realized that they just aren't worth it and compared them to Danish age old handcraft, before China, before economic slave labour - then I will try to buy them from him. I will most likely have to wait for my inheritage and when I am old - and almost have lost hope of pairing these babies with a Bryston amp - rip the speakers off of his cold dead hands!

Oh, and they are white. And have a loudness character to them. The EQ is not flat. They otherwise sound very clean. Like listening to chlorine. But I am still going to use them in my music studio for reference. You just have to get to know the speaker. I do not believe one can get this quality ESPECIALLY today without paying serious money. The push-pull double bassreflex is awsome. Our 300 m2 house is too small for them.

Suspended
    Rewind, you might want to give a listen to a pair of Dynaudio. These Dane's may suffice until you inherit the holy grale.

Rabbit
    I have owned a pair of jamo concert VIIs for about 5 years now and my father has owned a pair since new, when i was buying my system i was dissapointed with all the speakers i was auditioning and i did listen to quite a few high end speakers and in my opinion didn't sound as good as the concert VIIs, so i went online and bought a pair on ebay from an overseas seller, and i would not change these speakers untill I hear something better, and one thing i have found out you have to have a good eletronics behind them if you have cheap equipment they sound crappy as they are a very neutral speaker i.e what you put in you get out
    Last edited by rabbit73au; 03-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stereophonicfan

thanks!
    I once heard a pair of jamo's that would blow away any other speaker on the market. They were quite large and had 2 grills at top, 2 midrange, 1 horn and a 12 inch woofer, the system they were on isn't marketed but built to do the job properly. I can assure you that the quality of the speakers I heard was so good it was kinda frightning. I felt like I were actually there, I could also hear the real stereo sound in full 3d, even height to the sound.

My little tip to all that reads this is don't listen to others or those advice mags because all speaker companies are capable of making amazing systems. Quality comes from overall system balance to frequency relationship. there is a lot involved in sound, you could take any speaker and give it to a sound expert to build a system designed to match the speakers perfectly and it would sound a 1000 times better than you would ever belive. you can tune a system to match your speakers too.

Go for what you think or believe. If I had my way and the right equipment, i'd personally set up a system on a pair of jamos and show you how good they are. The way speakers sound isn't what we actually listen to, they create the waves yes, but there is more to sound than you would first think. it's not just a case of playing the sound flat. That doesnt get the best possible sound.

Many years ago I had a towerdeck systtem. not sure what it was but after adjusting the sound and getting it equal, and I spent hours of adjusting and wouldnt settle for that will do but aimed for as perfect as I could get it. I had a sound from a £200 system, that sounded like it was worth £2000. That system was intended on purpose for faithful sound reproduction and when set up, I had 3d sound from my stereophonic vinyals. The sound expressed every emotion and the difference of tones, you could hear everything, every instrument equally. the sound would pan left and right aswell as towards the listener and you could listen anywhere in the room and you would be the center of the sweet spot.

I'm gonna tell you honestly that all systems today are built for money making purposes only. Its a marketing thing, they have taken circuitry away that enables us to perceive the sound correctly, like the crosstalk problem. They just want to save on money, its a money ruling world. So make your own choice and don't listen to others.

If you heard what I have, you would understand that we can have perfect sound for our personal listening experience. If I had some equipment capable of good sound and I set it up and done a listening comparison with any system they rate, then I asked your opinion. You would clearly see the difference between a proper set up and their selling ratings are so far apart, its shocking.

Just picture a zx spectrum computer graphics vs a pc playing a game like crysis. that is the sort of difference that can be. The way the sound is presented on our current poor systems only masks the sounds and plays them at the completely wrong times in the wrong relationship in relation to other frequencys. It alrigth me saying this but you have to experience it to believe it.

So take your own personal choice guys, When trying to re-equalize the frequencys on systems sold today, it is imposible to balance because as you balance some of the frequencys it puts others out of balance. It isn't put together in a linear way.

I can promise you all that if you heard what I have, you would be gobsmacked for life. Sounded just like I was in heaven, speakers in reveiws they say has warm sound and stuff, ive heard them and they are appauling sounding in comparison.

A good sound system can sound better, more exciteing expressive sound on a lowish volume than a **** heap can at maxium volume. I hear lots of crap about listening positions and the sweet spot. With the properly way of playing back the sounds and right design, we can have the same perspective of stereo where ever we listen from, even outside of the speakrs. Just because things sound the way they appear doesnt mean they have to sound like it. Its the way they play the sound back that causes the treble to sound in front of the speakers. Everything can be made near perefct, better than my hearing and I used to have exceptional hearing. I don't know about now so much.

Make your own choices after listening, Thanks everyone who managed to get this far. Our quality of sound is taken away due to money saving. ps they had sound that good over 20 years ago. Nothing marketed is designed properly, it don't matter how good your components are if the design is wrong.

thanks

Charm Thai™
    I have a pair of Jamo S3's my dad gave to me around 1992-ish. Decent little speakers, in fact I have them hooked up in my sisters main stereo because they are small but sound ok with a subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by benjybobs
    I once heard a pair of jamo's that would blow away any other speaker on the market. They were quite large and had 2 grills at top, 2 midrange, 1 horn and a 12 inch woofer, the system they were on isn't marketed but built to do the job properly. I can assure you that the quality of the speakers I heard was so good it was kinda frightning. I felt like I were actually there, I could also hear the real stereo sound in full 3d, even height to the sound.

My little tip to all that reads this is don't listen to others or those advice mags because all speaker companies are capable of making amazing systems. Quality comes from overall system balance to frequency relationship. there is a lot involved in sound, you could take any speaker and give it to a sound expert to build a system designed to match the speakers perfectly and it would sound a 1000 times better than you would ever belive. you can tune a system to match your speakers too.

Go for what you think or believe. If I had my way and the right equipment, i'd personally set up a system on a pair of jamos and show you how good they are. The way speakers sound isn't what we actually listen to, they create the waves yes, but there is more to sound than you would first think. it's not just a case of playing the sound flat. That doesnt get the best possible sound.

Many years ago I had a towerdeck systtem. not sure what it was but after adjusting the sound and getting it equal, and I spent hours of adjusting and wouldnt settle for that will do but aimed for as perfect as I could get it. I had a sound from a £200 system, that sounded like it was worth £2000. That system was intended on purpose for faithful sound reproduction and when set up, I had 3d sound from my stereophonic vinyals. The sound expressed every emotion and the difference of tones, you could hear everything, every instrument equally. the sound would pan left and right aswell as towards the listener and you could listen anywhere in the room and you would be the center of the sweet spot.

I'm gonna tell you honestly that all systems today are built for money making purposes only. Its a marketing thing, they have taken circuitry away that enables us to perceive the sound correctly, like the crosstalk problem. They just want to save on money, its a money ruling world. So make your own choice and don't listen to others.

If you heard what I have, you would understand that we can have perfect sound for our personal listening experience. If I had some equipment capable of good sound and I set it up and done a listening comparison with any system they rate, then I asked your opinion. You would clearly see the difference between a proper set up and their selling ratings are so far apart, its shocking.

Just picture a zx spectrum computer graphics vs a pc playing a game like crysis. that is the sort of difference that can be. The way the sound is presented on our current poor systems only masks the sounds and plays them at the completely wrong times in the wrong relationship in relation to other frequencys. It alrigth me saying this but you have to experience it to believe it.

So take your own personal choice guys, When trying to re-equalize the frequencys on systems sold today, it is imposible to balance because as you balance some of the frequencys it puts others out of balance. It isn't put together in a linear way.

I can promise you all that if you heard what I have, you would be gobsmacked for life. Sounded just like I was in heaven, speakers in reveiws they say has warm sound and stuff, ive heard them and they are appauling sounding in comparison.

A good sound system can sound better, more exciteing expressive sound on a lowish volume than a **** heap can at maxium volume. I hear lots of crap about listening positions and the sweet spot. With the properly way of playing back the sounds and right design, we can have the same perspective of stereo where ever we listen from, even outside of the speakrs. Just because things sound the way they appear doesnt mean they have to sound like it. Its the way they play the sound back that causes the treble to sound in front of the speakers. Everything can be made near perefct, better than my hearing and I used to have exceptional hearing. I don't know about now so much.

Make your own choices after listening, Thanks everyone who managed to get this far. Our quality of sound is taken away due to money saving. ps they had sound that good over 20 years ago. Nothing marketed is designed properly, it don't matter how good your components are if the design is wrong.

thanks
    You write with an awful lot of (sic) authority and absolutes for a first post.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benjybobs

1) If you heard what I have, you would understand that we can have perfect sound for our personal listening experience.

2) I can promise you all that if you heard what I have, you would be gobsmacked for life.
    ...right. So just what ARE these components?! They make speakers vanish, and sweet spots out of entire rooms. I am dying to know.

While I agree with your general idea that the hi-fi industry isn't always what it's cracked up to be, you have made some tall claims without getting too specific.

I feel I have done EXACTLY what you say with my system. It's a series of synergy with a couple comprimises. The end result is much better than it should be, however, when I am listening to it, my chair does not levitate or glow a green aura.

Years ago when I worked at a better quality audio and video shop we had a chance to pick up jamo but when we auditioned several pairs of them from our vendor we just could not get interested in their sound, they didn't sound bad but they did not do anything real good either. Just kind of there. And only the best recordings would make them tolerable to me. We ran them with Yamaha receivers, Denon receivers and Adcom seperates which aren't bright is my opinion but not one of these products brought out any magic with them and I knew the brands we carried very well and knew how their sound was. I even used the monster 5800 adcom power amp on their towers and even it did not improve the dynamics of their bigger speakers it just allowed them to go a tad louder without clipping strain.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Aubio Maniac
    I'm always amazed when so many folks can tell you how much they don't know about the subject of the thread. I own several Jamo speakers, with my prize being the wonderful E680 floor standing speaker, which I just happen to get when dealers were trying to clear warehouses. The tweeter is the decoupled tweeter (DTT), which is completely isolated from the speaker body, and is a coated soft dome tweeter, and the smal midrange and the woofers are woven fiberglass. The detail is very good, wide sound stage, and excellent bass response. A comparable production model now is the C607, with hard center plug, multi-material (poly, fiberglass, pulp sandwich) and DTT tweeter. These retail from $400-500 each and compete with most anything else made at this price and higher. They make terrific boxes and excellent finishes (black and dark apple wood finish).

They make a higher end series C800, with the C809 being their top regular production model, and at $2000/pair quite worth the money. If you want pure audiophile, they make two R907 and R909 for $8000-14000/pair. The next time some says they make cheap speakers, understand they do try to provide affordable surround systems, but also provide everything up to and including audiophile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information