Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    I recently went through the same process you are going through now. I had already owned a pair of Paradigm Titans v3 and was considering their Studio Series as well as Polks. I ended up with a pair of Silverline Audio Minuets. I wasn't able to listen to them before buying and bought them based on all the rave reviews I had read online. That is a dangerous thing. What made me pull the trigger on them was I found them for sale at $545 at deepsurplus.com. In looking at their website, they offered a no questions asked return policy and reviews of the website were positive. The only glitch was that while they indicated they had them in stock, they actually did not. So when I called, I easily reached someone who was extremely helpful and told me that they were buying the speaker directly from Silverline and when they received them, they would ship them out. I had also contacted Silverline directly and their policy was no returns and I had to send them a check. Now that I have them, they sound great. Light on the bass for my taste but a Polk PSW10 works real nicely with them. Worth checking out.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I wouldrather have a pair of PSB B25's. Here is a review of them. (But I would have no problems with the Diamonds either.)

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...psb/index.html

Now you have to take these reviews with a grain of salt. These reviewers listen to these speakers with high end amps and Cd players so that they get the most out of lower end speakers. They also tend to polish reviews although this review was very positive and there were no red flags.
    I haven't heard them, but Stereophile's measurements of the PSB B25 are quite good, exceptionally good for their price range. Very few more expensive used speakers measure as well.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    I haven't heard them, but Stereophile's measurements of the PSB B25 are quite good, exceptionally good for their price range. Very few more expensive used speakers measure as well.
    Yes, it is in my list. I have almost narrowed it down to last 4
    1. Axiom M3 - Seems a bit more for HT than music.
    2. PSB B25 - a few ppl reported bass as muddy, but still one of my top pick
    3. Ascend CBM-170SE - excellemt reviews, but some lack of bass. I do have a sub
    4. Energy RC10 - Seems good for the price when on sale. out of stock at Vanns
    Again, my primary is music and HT is like secondary.
    If folks can give me some more perspective on these, it will be nice. I really dont care for looks but I can score points with my wife thanks
    -Vic

Forum Regular
    Hello everyone,

I thought its better to ask here since the thread about bookshelf. Im also looking for bookshelf speaker my budget can go up to $6500. I refined my search to go for three-way design, very high performance and resolution, very smooth and laid back, none fatiguing, and perfectly balanced. For all type of music listening.

Any folks have suggestion I will appreciate it very much.
    Thanks very much.
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

K high fi, you shouldn't presume that a 3-way speaker is what you want. Why do you think you 'need' a 3 way speaker? There is nothing in the design of a 3way speaker that makes it inherently better than a 2 way, 4 way, full range or other. In fact, there is a reason why I wouldn't go looking for a 3 way bookshelf speaker, and that is because of the limited popularity of 3 way bookshelves compared to 2 way bookshelves (2 way being the most popular for standmounts). As for your budget, you can probably find a very good pair for half that, but then that is up to you to decide when you audition. I have an exam tomorrow so I wont bother giving you any recommendations and leave that to the others

Oh, and if you're serious about this, I wouldn't hesitate to make a new thread for it

Suspended
    K-high, with the budget you have you'd be hard pressed to find a better speaker than the C1 you were thinking about. Dynaudio and Krell have always been a great combo as well.

You should also take a look at Gallo Acoustics. A very unique speaker that shouldn't have problems in your room.

Forum Regular
    Thank you Audio amateure and Peapody very much for reply. No problem, I can go for 2 ways. I want only bookshelf because its flexible when moving around the room. The Dynaudio C1 in my top list but im not comfortable with 6.5-inch driver for low-mid still sound to me small driver! Probably something like 8 inch for decent sound, but still keeping C1 in my mind.

So any other options for finest bookshelf, warm and perfectly balanced sound
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

Suspended
    You will be very surprised how much bass a small pair of Danes can put out with the right amp. Go listen to them if you have a chance.

I agree with Hyfi, epecially if you're looking for something that won't be too huge.

Suspended
    Concur, don't go by the driver size, go by sound and Dynaudio's 6" drivers don't sound like 6" drivers. They put some larger drivers to shame. One thing consistent about Dynaudio, people may find a character of them they dislike but I've yet to hear any one complain about the bass.

Forum Regular
    Thanks folks for recommendation. I see the all votes for C1 sound to me can perform like large speaker?

I don’t want to be too critical! But one expert told me if I live with electrostatic like MG-20 it’s very difficult to abandon it and live with boxed speaker! My concern (and im bit frightened) I might like C1 at beginning and buys it, then sells my MG-20 but later I rediscovered I want back the magnepan but no longer have it!! I feel I want speaker closer (at least) to MG-20. I have to tell you guys electrostatic sounded great, although im aware of their downsides but I can listen for six hours without fatigue and sounded magical, its the longest speaker lived with me (12 years) . At the moment I don’t see many options for bookshelf like old days in 70s, so does that mean i have to go for floor standing if i want perfect sound?

Suspended
    Well, you may hook up the box speaker and find you've been missing out Splitting hairs but Maggies are not electrostats. I personally found electrostats far superior to Maggies. We have many Maggie fans hear though and they have a great following.

Keep in mind if you ever do buy Dynaudio they require a tremendous amount of break in time.

Forum Regular
    Sorry for confusion! I forget Maggies are planner not electrostatic. Thanks for reminding me.

By the way any thoughts about Elac speakers i heard they are perfect in every aspect? Has anybody find issue with them?
    Last edited by K-High-Fi; 05-20-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Suspended
    I personally don't know anything about Elac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information