AR Newbie Registered Member

Acoustic Energy AE209 Capacitor Upgrades?

Hi All,

I'm new on here & looking for some advice. I have some Acoustic Energy AE209s, old, but in great condition and suitable for my current needs. I was reading the reviews of the 209s on here and saw the following:

Smooothzzs - "replace the stock croosover ceramic resistors to wirewound Mills and MKT caps to ICW capacitors(PX and SA range)"
    and
    BanBan - "To get real airy highs and clear emotive vocals, replace the stock crossover caps to ICW (PX and SA) caps and resistors to 1% wirewound 12W Mills"

Does anyone know where I could get this done? I'm in the UK near Sheffield & would drive up to a couple of hours in any direction to get it done.

I'm generally happy with the speakers, but there's always the urge to tweak! I'm at least 18 months away from a major upgrade I reckon, but there's plenty of life left in the 209s & hopefully a bit more potential.

Cheers.
    Avid Ingenium, Ortofon 2M Blue, Rega MM Phono stage, Arcam A85, Acoustic Energy AE209

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I've done some research & humblehomemadehifi.com seem to be top crossover guys - based in The Netherlands. Probably not worth it for speakers this old, but a great resource for information on caps.

Might have a crack myself - hificollective.co.uk have an extensive range of caps in the UK.
    Avid Ingenium, Ortofon 2M Blue, Rega MM Phono stage, Arcam A85, Acoustic Energy AE209

Thread Information