Forum Regular

Best way to connect Sub to 2 channel Integrated Amp?

What is the best way to hook up a subwoofer to my existing 2 channel system without degrading the sound quality to the speaker and sub?

My Int. Amp. doesn't have a LFE/sub output but it has a Pre-out1 & pre-out2(volume cotrol by the amp). But both 10" sub I'm looking for from HSU and SVS only comes with LFE input and a speaker level input. I'm afraid using the speaker level input as it'll degraded the sound quality to my speaker as I have to use the sub to further distribute the signal to speaker. Any suggestions?

While I don't know why you would, if you have A + B speaker connections you could use one for the speakers and send the other to the sub. I have never encountered this however and you will still run into the same issues everyone else has in integrating the sub.

I really don't see any drawbacks to using the speaker level connection. I've seen some argue that the introduction of a sub to a 2 channel system can degrade SQ but that's an argument centering around the blending of the two and not that the sound to the speakers has been degraded somehow. In my experience, placement and proper settings given the room and it's nuances determine the success or failure of sub integration rather than the connections.

* just saw the posts to your previous thread and while I'm not saying that they are incorrect, I don't believe it's something you need to worry about given the brands of subs your are considering. If you were looking at a low cost POS sub that might be an issue. I would seiously doubt that you will run into any discoloration or signal degradation through either the SVS or HSU. There are reasons that these makers have top flight credentials, I don't think they would mind you putting them to the test.

Finally you can use the pre out R/L from the integrated to the R/L low level inputs on the sub. Just use 2 rca to rca interconnects. I'd think that would work although I've never done it.

just my take.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 05-31-2005 at 07:13 AM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Just get a Y cord to take of this. It's not really an issue.

Thread Information