Forum Regular

Ascend Owners and Paradigm Owners..........

Hello members once again I need some input. I am seriously thinking about going with ONE of the following systems. Keep in mind that my preference is on music listening mainly in stereo but I do want good home theater effect.
    f: Paradigm Studio 20's v.4
    c:Paradigm cc-370 v.4
    r: Paradigm Titans v.3 that I already own.
    OR
    f: Paradigm Monitor 3's v.4
    OR
    f: Paradigm minis v.4
    Note: I could use the minis v.4 in ANY of the above systems but was just trying to save some money. Besides, do the rears really make that much of a difference while watching dvd? Sure, using the same brand is a plus but as long as I use something decent especially in the same brand should work fine. Or, am I wrong? By all means please elaborate. The other systems I am seriously giving thought to are as follows:
    f: Ascend CBM-170
    c:Ascend CMT-340c
    r: Paradigm Titans v.3 I already own.
    OR
    f: Ascend CMT-340m
    c:Ascend CMT-340c
    r: Paradigm Titans v.3 I already own.
    Note: I could use the CBM-170's for my rears as well but do any of you feel that the Titans I already have would work fine?? Well, folks let me know what you think cause I need some advice. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.
    Phil
    F: MTX AAL 212B Towers
    C: Paradigm CC-170 v.3
    R: Paradigm Titans v.3
    S: Paradigm PS-1000 v.4
    RCA 27" Widescreen HDTV w/DVI
    Z-Lines TV Stand
    Samsung HD DVD-841 w/DVI
    Yamaha RXV-650 95X7 rms and YPAO
    Esoteric Cables

cam
    I can only comment on the Paradigms, I've never heard the Ascends. To me your first choice is flawed. If you are going with the 20's you must match them with the 470. The titans as rears will do. It is very important for the front sound stage to be as seamless as possible. The 20's with the 370 will sound very different from each other that it will no doubt bother the $hit out of you. Your second and third choices are a better match. Having heard the minis and the 3's I would recommend the 3's with the 370 and your titans as rears. In my area the 3's are only $50 more then the mini's. Either way you can't go wrong. If you can loosen the wallet a bit, get the 20's with the 470, if not, get the 3's preferably (my opinion) with the cc370 or the minis with the 370.

Yep, Cam is right. If you go Studio 20's you will want the Studio center that matches.

Personally, I feel there's no contest that the Studio's are head & shoulders above everything else on your list, especially for music. Do it right while you're doing it. If you go half-assed now you'll just be kicking yourself until you get it right, so go ahead and do it now

Forum Regular
    When I got my Studio 20s I solved the center speaker issue by ordering an additional single Studio 20 to use as my center. It works wonderfully.

Nick

Forum Regular
    I bet it does work well. the 20's are just amazing. So, if you dont mind me asking how did you get a single studio 20? My local dealer laughed at me when I asked about doing just that. They claim that they are unable to order a single 20. They only come in a set. Just thought I would ask. Also, what did you give for your 20's?

Sounds like your dealer just wants to sell you a center speaker! He can get a single 20 no problem, he probably just has a center in stock that he wants to to buy instead. When I bought my 20's maybe 6 years ago they weren't even boxed together, they are completely seperate. I doubt that has changed.

Forum Regular
    Abstentia, I am not sure about that. A very close friend works at the place where I got my stuff to begin with. I even get a real good deal by the way on anything Paradigm or Yamaha. My friend was the one to introduce Paradigm to me to begin with. He says they come in sets. I do appreciate your input though because I am seriously rethinking things now. I may just get a set of the 20's for now then get the cc-470 as soon as I possible after that. I may have to use my cc-170 for a while until I can make the switch. However, my preference is more on 2-channel music listening to begin with so the cc-170 would be better than nothing. Since I really dont listen to multi-channel music I believe my titans will do just fine rear stage duties---you know watching dvd. In time i may even end up with 2 sets of 20's. Even with my discount it will still take me a while cause money is really tight right now here. Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

Yeah your Titans should be fine for surrounds. The 20's I had eventually gave way to a pair of Active 40's, but I've kept Atoms in my rear (!) the whole time.

Forum Regular
    So you look like Stone Cold eh? He is one of my favorite wrestlers but I always liked Bret hart the best. Anyways, thanks for the info. Is Stone Cold your fav? Just curious..........lol. BTW, the WWE was just here in Evansville, Indiana Friday night. I did not get to go but wanted to so I could see just how big Batista is in person. he sure looks big on tv. Man, the devas are just getting hotter and hotter.....lol.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    I bet it does work well. the 20's are just amazing. So, if you dont mind me asking how did you get a single studio 20? My local dealer laughed at me when I asked about doing just that. They claim that they are unable to order a single 20. They only come in a set. Just thought I would ask. Also, what did you give for your 20's?
    When I purchased the 20s four years ago and asked for a single speaker the dealer called Paradigm to see if he could order just one and Paradigm said yes. Had it in less than a week. Don't forget to get it shielded. FWIW the 20 sounds way better to me as a center than the regular center. I actually first bought the regular center first but did not care for the sound, it did not seem like a good match to me and returned it and ordered the 20 to use as my center. Big improvement to my ears, YMMV.

Oh yes, the 20 is smaller (easier to place) and less expensive that the regular center. Paid ~$350 for it if memory serves.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by oddeoowphil38
    So you look like Stone Cold eh? He is one of my favorite wrestlers but I always liked Bret hart the best. Anyways, thanks for the info. Is Stone Cold your fav? Just curious..........lol. BTW, the WWE was just here in Evansville, Indiana Friday night. I did not get to go but wanted to so I could see just how big Batista is in person. he sure looks big on tv. Man, the devas are just getting hotter and hotter.....lol.
    Uhh...don't think that's a pic of N. Abstentia...aren't those the guys from...ahh...never mind...

Hee heee..yeah that's the guys from Orange County Choppers.

Not Stone Cold and not Me

Forum Regular
    True but your profile says your are a Stone Cold look alike....lol. Just found it interesting because he one of my favs. Have a good day.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Uhh...don't think that's a pic of N. Abstentia...aren't those the guys from...ahh...never mind...
    He was looking at my profile, pass me a beer or somebody is getting a stone cold stunner.

Thread Information