Ajani

Mark Levinson, Lexicon and Revel To Merge With Harman Professional

Mark Levinson, Lexicon and Revel To Merge To With Harman Professional - Over 130 Jobs Lost:

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/av-...lost002312.php

More grim news on the state of the economy... while I don't mind seeing the Harman Kardon Group merging brands and coming up with just one speaker and electronic line (did they really need to have all of these brand names: HK, JBL, Revel, Infinity, Mark Levinson and Lexicon?), it seems there will be massive layoffs and a loss of key design and engineering talent in the merger... I want the merger to mean high quality from the top down not crap quality from the bottom up...

nightflier
    Let's hope some of the laid-off talent forms new smaller companies with more customer-focused products and perhaps even some innovation that might have been stiffled at the larger companies. Smaller, new, local companies are a good thing for any economy, too.

What was that Alstate commercial saying again? Oh yeah, after a recession people revert to the basics. Let's hope the basics of audio come back too.

HEY AJANI

i click on that link that's a HIGH END audio merge man.... ! (but isn't it a fact that REVEL" has been a part of the Harman international industries for a couple of years now) its just the sign of the times man.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    HEY AJANI

i click on that link that's a HIGH END audio merge man.... ! (but isn't it a fact that REVEL" has been a part of the Harman international industries for a couple of years now) its just the sign of the times man.
    All of those companies were part of the Harman group... What has happened is that they are being merged into one (I'm guessing brand) and laying off loads of employees... it is a sign of the times... the economy is messed up and I guess the Harman group decided it was time to clean up the house....

the economy is messed up and I guess the Harman group decided it was time to clean up the house.... (WORD AJANI")
    down here in Miami, Tampa,Orlando, & Jacksonville Florida we had some stores called SOUND ADVICE i am sure some forum members know or hear about them ? they sell everything HIGH END CREEK, CJ, MONTOR AUDIO,LEXICON,MARK LEVINSON, (just to name a few) in Miami they had six stores the last one liquidate in December of 2007. leaving all these people out of a job...it sort of hit in a way as i have a number of old Friends that work for them' and CIRCUIT CITY that been said (THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM).......

If--and that's a big IF-- the discipline that drives the current JBL Pro division can be largely retained while incorporating the cultures of Revel, Levinson, and Lexicon, then this could be a good move.

JBL Synthesis and Lexicon collaborate on a lot of projects already, and Revel and JBL Consumer share some technology across lines, as does Infinity. The only real oddball is Levinson, although I see Levinson gear driving all the top end JBL stuff: K2 and Everest II.
    I like sulung tang.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    If--and that's a big IF-- the discipline that drives the current JBL Pro division can be largely retained while incorporating the cultures of Revel, Levinson, and Lexicon, then this could be a good move.

JBL Synthesis and Lexicon collaborate on a lot of projects already, and Revel and JBL Consumer share some technology across lines, as does Infinity. The only real oddball is Levinson, although I see Levinson gear driving all the top end JBL stuff: K2 and Everest II.
    Agreed...It's a big IF... but if they do pull it off, consumers could be in for a real treat... Just Imagine speakers getting the kind of rave reviews of Revel and some of the high end JBL, but widely available like cheaper JBL and Infinity.... I'd love to see this end with just one excellent speaker and electronics line, catering from entry level right up to the high end (and high priced) mountain top....

So a youngster looking to buy his first stereo, could find a nice HK Integrated amp, ipod dock & matching HK speakers at Best Buy for $500... then as his tastes and budget grows he can move beyond the budget HK gear at Best Buy and head to one of HK's Mid to High End Dealers for a HK Integrated amp, Music Server & matching HK speakers for $5000.

Cool

PRETTY SOON Harmon is gonna own everything
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information