Tropic Thunder...

Went with the family tonight to see t his comedy. God was it funny. I was literally crawling on the floor at one point and I haven't done that since "Something About Mary". This movie was the chit. Funniest guys in it are Jack Black and Tom Cruise who do some totally outrageous stuff. As for offending the mentally challenged, they can be pissed off but they'll have to stand in line behind everyone else that gets insulted in this flick. Fat folks, black folks, Jews in Hollywood, agents, Asians, you name it, it gets torpedoed. After Batman I needed a good laugh. Robert Downey... is a national treasure. Give him all the dope he wants. A-minus.

Da Worfster

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    My son and I were debating going to see it. He said over at Rotten Tomatoes it is getting good reviews so that along with your endorsement I think ends the debate.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    We just saw it today. Could be just me, I found it funny, but I don't think it was anything special. I'd give it a B rating, dunno if it's comedy of the year material because I haven't seen any other comedies this year...but I guess that says something. Probably not for everyone, but I suspect a bunch of the regulars here will enjoy it.

I found the actors performances sort of overshadowed the humor - and I can't believe I just wrote that, but it's true. Downie and Nolte were hilarious and definitely didn't just mail this one in. I've regained a bit of respect for Tom Cruise. His character was over the top.

You could do worse, if you're in the mood for a few laughs it'll do...

I was up in the air about this, but now, I may have to go see this.

Holy crap - what a year for movies

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

Holy crap - what a year for movies
    Now that you mention it...yeah, it has been a bit better than the last few years....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Now that you mention it...yeah, it has been a bit better than the last few years....
    I'll second that. My son and I were trying to recollect a year where we had so many quality summer flicks.

Aging Smartass
    My wife and I saw "Tropic Thunder" yesterday and laughed ourselves silly. I didn't realize the very first scene was the movie itself, and actually thought it was a "real" commercial. I was highly offended by it until I realized it was part of the overall satirical humor of the film. Haven't laughed this hard in a long, long time. And Robert Downey is amazing. I never really cared much for him, especially seeing him in the news all the time because of his cocaine problems, but after "Iron Man," and now this, he's at the top of my list now.

Yeah...

If I were in the food and beverage biz I'd pass on "Booty Sweat" but I'd definately look into licensing and selling da "Bust a Nut" candy bar. LOL, that chit was funny.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    If I were in the food and beverage biz I'd pass on "Booty Sweat" but I'd definately look into licensing and selling da "Bust a Nut" candy bar. LOL, that chit was funny.

Da Worfster
    No spoilers in this thread please.

If I were in the food and beverage biz I'd pass on "Booty Sweat"
    Coke has nothing to worry about from the new carbonated, Booty Sweat from Royal Crown?

I'd definately look into licensing and selling da "Bust a Nut" candy bar.
    Does that come with caramel?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Coke has nothing to worry about from the new carbonated, Booty Sweat from Royal Crown?

Does that come with caramel?
    No.... creamy nugat.

Da Worfster

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Tropic Thunder... ?

Wasn't that like a made-for-tv movie in the late 90's starring Hulk Hogan?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Wasn't that like a made-for-tv movie in the late 90's starring Hulk Hogan?
    No, it was called Thunder In Paradise, and it also starred Chris Lemmon (Jack's son). And to be accurate, it was a bad TV series, but fortunately, a short lived one. I believe the creators of Kinght Rider had something to do with it, because they were ex-Navy Seals that were freelance "mercenaries" ala The 'A' Team (in Hawaii IIRC) and had a speed boat that was oh-so high tech ala K.I.T.T.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    So in the remake Tom Cruise is a psychotic, controlling, in-the-closet, bizarroworld religious zealot that happens to be an ex-marine mercenary operating out of Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Tom Cruise is a psychotic, controlling, in-the-closet, bizarroworld religious zealot that happens to be an ex-marine mercenary
    Really?

I didn't know Cruise was an ex-marine.

My son (who is 15 BTW so the language used in the film was not a problem) and I saw it today and we were not disappointed. Pretty funny movie that is sure to be quoted alot like a lot of the classic comedies. Robert Downey Jr was hilarious and they managed to keep the leash on Jack Black so he was seen just enough. All and all a great way to spend an afternoon with my son.

Kam
    "I'm just a dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude."

Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black made the movie for me!

Although... to be fair.... while i did laugh quite a few times, i didn't laugh nearly as loud as i did watching The Happening.
    /create

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I finally went to see this movie at the behest of my brats. We laughed till we were sick. Do not eat popcorn or drink coke while watching this movie. Especially if somebody is setting in front of you. One of my sons unloaded during one moment, and thank God the folks in front were to busy laughing that they didn't notice they had a mini shower of coke and popcorn raining down on them.

Good show!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Sir T

We did notice I just did not want to bring attention to it since we had just spit popcorn/soda on the couple in front of us.....
    The cleaning bill is in the mail............

Now there's something you don't see everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I finally went to see this movie at the behest of my brats. We laughed till we were sick. Do not eat popcorn or drink coke while watching this movie. Especially if somebody is setting in front of you. One of my sons unloaded during one moment, and thank God the folks in front were to busy laughing that they didn't notice they had a mini shower of coke and popcorn raining down on them.

Good show!
    So.. Sir Terrrance of Terribleness your NEW movie rating icon will be the "SPEW"????

"Oh this comedy was amazing, we give it three spews!"

LOL... nice review.

Da Worfster

So.. Sir Terrrance of Terribleness your NEW movie rating icon will be the "SPEW"????

"Oh this comedy was amazing, we give it three spews!"

LOL... nice review.

Da Worfster
    One spew for the popcorn.
    A second for the soda
    And a thirst for the Snowcaps.
    And another half for making the soda come out my nose. (could have been a fourth but the snow caps got stuck in there)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information