View Poll Results: Upgrading DVD to Bluray movies.

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would replace most of my DVD collection with Bluray.

4 17.39%
  • Maybe replace only 1 to 5% of DVD collection with same bluray title.

14 60.87%
  • No, I would not. I only buy Bluray movies not in DVD collection.

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Upgrading DVD to Bluray movies.

The poll question is simple:

Suppose that price of Bluray movies were same as regular DVDs and you own a bluray player, would you replace the DVD you already own with Bluray version of it?

For me, I probably would replace some big block buster movies that love such as Star Wars or Godfather (may be 5 to 10% of collection), but for most part the answers probably would be negative.

I recently sold half of my DVD collection at considerable lost, so no matter how good a movie is, its watchability factor does diminish over time after repeated viewing.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-05-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    A small part of me is a bit upset when I slide a DVD into the PS3. That same part of me is smiling whenever a Blu-Ray disc goes in.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Suspended
    Well, I only have three DVD movies; the rest are concert DVD's, and the only movie I'd consider replacing is Batman Begins. Theoretically I qualify for choices A & B don't I?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I can't wait to get a copy of my Wicker Park DVD in BluRay, or to witness Hot Shots Part Deux in all its high-def glory.

Naww..I'm in the same boat as you Smokey, most of my DVD's are bargain bin specials. I'm quite happy with DVD quality. Unlike VHS quality, I don't feel the need to upgrade them all. I have (by Ar.com terms a modest) 200+ DVD's too so at $20 a pop or more I doubt I could talk my wife into it.

But for sure, I'll buy yet even another version of The Godfather and Star Wars.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Well, I only have three DVD movies; the rest are concert DVD's, and the only movie I'd consider replacing is Batman Begins. Theoretically I qualify for choices A & B don't I?
    With only three DVDs, you might also qualify for choice C also

As your DVD inventory increases, suddenly you realize that one don't need Cable any more (I canceled my subscription with Comcast) to enjoy television. I had Cinemax for 6 months, and notice that every few months they recycle the same movies. So if you have alot of DVDs, having Cable seem to be waste of money.

And sure don't miss loud commercials on basic Cable either

Eisforelectronic seem to be only one voting for A (so far). And Kex's DVD collection habit is eeringly similar to mine. He must hang around the same stores as I do

Suspended
    I voted B since I don't know that from here on out I'll be buying BD titles exclusively.

I voted for replacing 5%. I may go higher than that though. I'm up to about 50 or so BR and maybe 15-20% of that has replaced a DVD. I sold some of the DVD copies for $5 each so it wasn't a huge lost. The animation I keep and put the DVD copy in my kids room and some of the movies I'm just gonna keep to view in the car or on my laptop while on vacation or something like that. I also let friends and family borrow some of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    With only three DVDs, you might also qualify for choice C also

As your DVD inventory increases, suddenly you realize that one don't need Cable any more (I canceled my subscription with Comcast) to enjoy television. I had Cinemax for 6 months, and notice that every few months they recycle the same movies. So if you have alot of DVDs, having Cable seem to be waste of money.

And sure don't miss loud commercials on basic Cable either

Eisforelectronic seem to be only one voting for A (so far). And Kex's DVD collection habit is eeringly similar to mine. He must hang around the same stores as I do
    I feel you on that. I'm considering dropping my HBO/Starz package because they keep playing the same movies. I also noticed that the on demand library stays the same as well. I use on demand mainly for my kids to watch movies but after several months, the same movies are still up there.

I'm a nearsighted old coot, so I will be happy with the DVD's, thank you very much...

Smokey, your experience reminds me when I went CD-Crazy in Tokyo, back in '84 and '85: I went through a spell of buying and swapping. Now some of the things I swapped are either no longer available or are found only in the most obscure places. Some of them are considered somewhat collectible, so there you are....

So, I guess what I am saying is, better make darn sure that you don't cut off yer nose to spite yer face when you make the Blue-Ray plunge....

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have already replaced more than 10 percent of my 2500+ DVD already, and still going strong. I intend on replacing every DVD that is released on bluray in the future.

When it comes to my hobby, I do not worry much about how much things cost, or how much money I lose when I sell something. I like having a library of movies, so I never rent, I buy. Bluray and HD DVD have finally made my expensive investment in equipment worthwhile, and I am going to milk it for all its worth.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Smoke, you gotta keep you crucial thing in mind -- the vast majority of the home video market is new releases, and that's where most of Blu-ray's revenue will come from.

Even the DVD format, which created a whole new generation of video collectors, made most of its money on new releases rather than catalog titles. This was the reason why I thought Blu-ray would win out over HD-DVD (i.e., Blu-ray's superior studio support, and thus more attractive selection of new releases).

That's also why I don't see a big rush to upgrade DVD collections to Blu-ray. Blu-ray will eventually supplant the DVD by simple attrition -- people looking to replace broken DVD players will buy a Blu-ray player, and in turn they will begin buying/renting their movies in Blu-ray rather than DVD. This process doesn't necessarily include wholesale replacement of DVD collections, since nearly all DVD collections began less than 10 years ago.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suppose that price of Bluray movies were same as regular DVDs and you own a bluray player, would you replace the DVD you already own with Bluray version of it?
    Yes, but for me the magnitude of that response is very different. I have maybe 50 or so movies on DVD and perhaps 100 on VHS tapes. We have a Netflix account for that. Unlike music, I just don't enjoy watching many movies over and over.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I sold some of the DVD copies for $5 each so it wasn't a huge lost.
    You're lucky. The most I could get for my DVDs was about $1 each. Sold abot 100 totles, and guy said he will buy them whole sale for $100. But not complaining since only paid about $5 for each DVD, and rather see somebody else enjoy them than sitting in closet collecting dust and hogging space.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    So, I guess what I am saying is, better make darn sure that you don't cut off yer nose to spite yer face when you make the Blue-Ray plunge.
    Some times one can not suppress their impulse buying habit

I do most time buy on impulse since in bargain bins you have be fast or somebody else will get it. But don't unwrap it till I do search on net on its picture quaity, extras and viewing values. And then make up my mind whether to keep it or not. Usually return about 25% of unwraped DVD back to store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir TT
    [I have already replaced more than 10 percent of my 2500+ DVD already, and still going strong. I intend on replacing every DVD that is released on bluray in the future.
    In your line of work, that make sense. 2500 DVDs are alot and since you said you don't care about how much a movie cost, that seem like a huge chunk of money spend on DVDs, and probably on future bluray purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooch
    Even the DVD format, which created a whole new generation of video collectors, made most of its money on new releases rather than catalog titles.
    I don't necessary agree with statement. From my own experience, I dumped my VHS collection as soon as DVD became affordable and start collecting DVDs. Matter of fact, over 75% of my movie collection is from pre DVD era.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Yes, but for me the magnitude of that response is very different. I have maybe 50 or so movies on DVD and perhaps 100 on VHS tapes.

rw
    Think I need to put together a new poll just for you

Problem with VHS is whether you play them or not, they will deteriorate over time. So you might consider yourself lucky that you probably can jump from VHS to Bluray and skip the DVD in between.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-08-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    That's also why I don't see a big rush to upgrade DVD collections to Blu-ray. Blu-ray will eventually supplant the DVD by simple attrition -- people looking to replace broken DVD players will buy a Blu-ray player, and in turn they will begin buying/renting their movies in Blu-ray rather than DVD.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I intend to do... when my no name cheapo DVD player stops working or maybe a bit before, I'll dump it and get a Blu-ray player...

I don't necessary agree with statement. From my own experience, I dumped my VHS collection as soon as DVD became affordable and start collecting DVDs. Matter of fact, over 75% of my movie collection is from pre DVD era.
    It's not what you agree with, it's what the sales figures say. The home video market, like the movie theater market, is driven by new releases. New releases have the highest unit sales, and they command the highest list prices. DVD titles generally become progressively less valuable over time.

Week in and week out, the top selling DVD titles are new releases -- that's a pattern that dates back to the VHS days. Except for the occasional blockbuster catalog releases like Star Wars and The Godfather, the top selling DVD titles of all time are nearly all new releases. The top selling DVD of all time is Finding Nemo. The reason is pretty simple -- new video releases have never been on home video before and people haven't seen those movies multiple times already on TV or other video formats.

Movie collecting became commonplace with the DVD because the format went with sell-through pricing on the day of release, rather than the old VHS rental-pricing window (i.e., new releases are priced at ~$80-$100, and then lowered to ~$20 a few months later). You won't see a wholesale surge of people transitioning their entire DVD library over to Blu-ray, because most DVDs purchased were new releases, and frankly many of those movies aren't good enough to warrant a rebuy.

Or put another way, how many Wal-Mart bin specials are worth buying again on Blu-ray?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier

Price is a factor too...

Suppose that price of Bluray movies were same as regular DVDs.
    The only BR movies I see coming down in price are the crappy Walmart discount bin ones and frankly, people don't want those, they want new releases. And doesn't it cost more to make a BR disk? Personally, I think rentals and downloads will fill the need for most people well before even half our movie collections are BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    It's not what you agree with, it's what the sales figures say. The home video market, like the movie theater market, is driven by new releases. New releases have the highest unit sales, and they command the highest list prices. DVD titles generally become progressively less valuable over time.

Week in and week out, the top selling DVD titles are new releases -- that's a pattern that dates back to the VHS days. Except for the occasional blockbuster catalog releases like Star Wars and The Godfather, the top selling DVD titles of all time are nearly all new releases.
    That seem logical and normal, but there are only so many new releases a week.

Let say that we have 10 new major movie releases a week which add up about 500 titles a year. And lest say that majority of DVD sold were mew release which date back to 10 year ago when DVd was launched. That would only make it 5000 titles.

Given that there are catalog of 100,000 DVD titles, how can movie studio make more money on 5000 titles than 95,000 titles? Given that new titles cost about $15, I think majority of buyers wait till price drop to around $10 before making the purchase. And 5000 titles for $10 does not yield significant revenue compare with 95,000 titles which sell about $7.50 (Walmart average price on most DVD).

So suggesting that home video market is mostly driven by new releases somehow does not add up

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Personally, I think rentals and downloads will fill the need for most people well before even half our movie collections are BR.
    I don’t know about renting, but IMO downloading HD movies still have quite way to go to be a viable alternative BR. Video compression and Internet bottle necking are two major obstacle to over come for down loading to be an attractive option.
    Last edited by Smokey; 08-08-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Ajani
    I don’t know about renting, but IMO downloading HD movies still have quite way to go to be a viable alternative BR. Video compression and Internet bottle necking are two major obstacle to over come for down loading to be an attractive option.
    Sad but true... Just look at the lack of success of AppleTV, which seems to get a lot of bashing for poor quality videos.... Interestingly, many people regard it as one of the best music servers available (check out the newsletters on PS Audio's website), despite being crap for downloading movies/TV shows....

Most people are unwilling to spend big change on a massive LCD/Plasma HD display.. and then play low quality downloaded video on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Most people are unwilling to spend big change on a massive LCD/Plasma HD display.. and then play low quality downloaded video on it...
    Some of download material do look so washed out on my 17 inch monter, so can't imagine how it would look on big screen TVs. And the audio is not too far behind in term of quality either.

I think web site get charged by thei carrie on how much bandwidth they use, so it only make commom businees sense for video web sites to compress their video streamong to minimze their throughput.

That seem logical and normal, but there are only so many new releases a week.

Let say that we have 10 new major movie releases a week which add up about 500 titles a year. And lest say that majority of DVD sold were mew release which date back to 10 year ago when DVd was launched. That would only make it 5000 titles.

Given that there are catalog of 100,000 DVD titles, how can movie studio make more money on 5000 titles than 95,000 titles? Given that new titles cost about $15, I think majority of buyers wait till price drop to around $10 before making the purchase. And 5000 titles for $10 does not yield significant revenue compare with 95,000 titles which sell about $7.50 (Walmart average price on most DVD).

So suggesting that home video market is mostly driven by new releases somehow does not add up
    Like I said, it's not about what you think adds up, but what actually adds up in the market. You're simply ignoring the magnitude by which the top selling titles outsell the rest of the available titles. This is no different than the music industry, which releases thousands of titles annually, yet the majority of their sales comes from only a small group of best selling titles, nearly all of which are new releases.

The weekly sales charts published by Nielson Videoscan illustrate how great the magnitude of difference is between the new releases and the catalog releases. And every article I've ever read on this subject indicates that new releases are the most important revenue generator for the studios.

The #1 selling video title in any given week is almost always a new release, and more often than not, that title outsells the #2 title by a magnitude of 3X, 4X, or even 10X. Go further down the list, you might find the top selling title outselling the #10 title by 10x, or even 50x or more.

On any given week, new releases make up the majority of the top selling DVD titles. This week's top 10 selling DVDs includes ZERO catalog titles, it's all new releases. And dating back over the past five years, you'd be hardpressed to find any week with more than two or three catalog titles ranked in the top 10 in any given week.

Also consider that a hit title like Finding Nemo sold upwards of 40 million copies on DVD, about half of that total during the first week of release. Warner would be happy if any of their classic DVD reissues sell 100,000 copies, yet Finding Nemo alone sells 400X that amount. The Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings titles each sold over 20 million copies, and now you have seven titles ALONE outselling the equivalent of 1,600 catalog releases (and that's using an optimistic assumption of 100k in sales for a catalog reissue). Add the other new releases that come out on a weekly basis that routinely outsell the catalog releases by orders of magnitude, and suddenly the math begins to add up in a hurry.

Your market assumption about people waiting until prices drop down to $10 before sales take off is just flat out wrong. Just like movies will typically make 30-50% of their total box office take during the first weekend, the same holds true for DVD releases -- new releases tend to have their highest sales totals during the first week and drop off every week thereafter.

The reason why DVD prices drop down to $10 in the first place is because they NO LONGER sell well, and the studio or retailer needs to move inventory. Think about it, if demand is at its peak, why would prices drop at that time? And when prices drop down to that $10 price point, when you have ever seen that title in the top 10?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    I have replaced some, such as 2001, and will replace some more, George you are getting my money again, but i doubt any one will be able to replace all of our dvd collection as i don.t think all films will make it to bluray.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I'm with bill and prolly the rest of the pack. I'll replace the classics...the one's that'll get repeated viewings.

OTOH, if Blu-Ray Audio takes off and there are re-releases in Hi-Rez formats I would be more likely to bite, provided that I heard a consistent and substantial increase in quality.

Forum Regular
    The poll question is simple:

For me, I probably would replace some big block buster movies that love such as Star Wars or Godfather (may be 5 to 10% of collection), but for most part the answers probably would be negative.

I recently sold half of my DVD collection at considerable lost, so no matter how good a movie is, its watchability factor does diminish over time after repeated viewing.
    I would at lest replace my lotr and all my harry potter movies, batman and a few others.

Thanks

Thanks Musicman, Bobstick and S dog for chiming in. The result of poll seem to indicate that most viewers will replace some of titles with BR, but not all. It seem I am not in minority group

Wooch thanks for long and informative post. Guess I am in minority when it come to buying new titles for full price since get more kick out of finding movies on sale or bargain prices.

But I swear I see more people around the bargain bins than around new release DVD titles bins in the store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information