Thread: need more power

need more power

hi guys i was looking at my spekaers Kef Q35 floorstanding speakers and at the back of them they got 4 binding post on them and my amp will only let me use just the two off them wich the two that are left over are for pre amping or for a power amp but will i be able to use a power amp with my av 5.1 amp and if so could i get it in sliver and with a power amp will that let me hook up a centre speaker and surround spekaers or just the two spekaers >????
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

no, that's just for biwiring.

there are jumper plates inbetween, you can use a single set of binding posts and it will all sound fine. No need to biamp those kef's, they're not that power hungry...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    no, that's just for biwiring.

there are jumper plates inbetween, you can use a single set of binding posts and it will all sound fine. No need to biamp those kef's, they're not that power hungry...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    yes ok but i always have different speakers and some speakers like cerwin vega and jamo d365 seem to wont to be punshed more and i was looking on ebay and i always see cambrige systems with two amps and technics aswell does having a power amp make much different ???

depends, a good integrated will do better than a cheap pre + power combo.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

so you say leave the av amp and get the pre+power combo and if so which are the best pre=power amp combo and will there be much differents from a av amp thank you

no, I said that either can be good. In the end, (when prices are too darn high), the seperates will win, but since you don't need much power, you could go with a good integrated too (given that it's stereo, and not surround.
    what's the budget?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

no, I said that either can be good. In the end, (when prices are too darn high), the seperates will win, but since you don't need much power, you could go with a good integrated too (given that it's stereo, and not surround.
    what's the budget?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    my bad i just wont to add some kind of amp to my av amp to give me more power and make my stereo system look better my budget is like £200 quid or $400 dollars i was looking at the pre + power amp combo and i found out that audiolab do a good combo but they wont alot of money

Listen carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    my bad i just wont to add some kind of amp to my av amp to give me more power and make my stereo system look better :
    You have preamp outs on your AV amp/receiver for your front R/L channels? Yes or no.

If yes, then you not only don't NEED a preamp. You can't even insert it into the circuit without introducing problems.

You should be looking at POWER amps.

If no, then you're pretty much outta luck. There's no viable way to insert either in your system.

If you're talking about a separate two channel only system, then Bert's advice is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    You have preamp outs on your AV amp/receiver for your front R/L channels? Yes or no.

If yes, then you not only don't NEED a preamp. You can't even insert it into the circuit without introducing problems.

You should be looking at POWER amps.

If no, then you're pretty much outta luck. There's no viable way to insert either in your system.

If you're talking about a separate two channel only system, then Bert's advice is spot on.
    yes at the back of my amp its got PRE OUT front L/R rear L/R and then two subwoofer outputs and 1 centre output will this be alright to hook up a power amp to my av amp

yes at the back of my amp its got PRE OUT front L/R rear L/R and then two subwoofer outputs and 1 centre output
    Good

will this be alright to hook up a power amp to my av amp
    As I said in my previous post, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Good

As I said in my previous post, yes.

kool what would be the best power amp to use with a av amp sorry for the dumb answer but i never really got into power amps and pre amps its just that my uncle as got this awesome techincs system with a power amp and he said i should be able to get one to work with my so i just what to know wot power amps will work with a sony str db930 amp thank you

Power amps are pretty generic creatures.

Virtually any power amp will work.

thanks for your help guys

ps. ill let you know how it goes cause i caint wait to get a power amp i should have some big sound if it works out .

if you get a good one...

did you have anything in mind?
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

if you get a good one...

did you have anything in mind?

man its hard to get one in silver unless you get a pre amp combo ive been looking at a new one they wont a silly price £699.95 wich is way over my budget thats The Audiolab 8000X7 7 Channel Power Amplifier delivers 100 watts x 7 (8 ohms RMS) and then the Cambridge Audio P500 Power Amp wich produces 85 watts per channel into 6 ohms 65 watts into 8 ohms but its to weak and its in black any power amp really something for £200 quid -$400 dollars seconhand in SLIVER

Unless you can at least double your current power, don't bother. Even then you'll barely notice any difference.

If you want to double your apparent loudness, you need about ten times your current power.

If you want to double your apparent loudness, you need about ten times your current power.[/QUOTE/]

i was thinking cause my sony av amp is 100watts x5 i was going to get a power amp that is going to be 100watts x5 or something on them lines wich iam double my power wich would drive most speakers nicely let me know if iam right or wrong

im confused in what you just said i always thought that hooking up a power amp with my av amp will give me more power its like my uncle stereo with the power amp can use 180 watts to is 2 front speakers were my is only pushing out 100 watts so i thought by buying a power amp that punshes out 100 watts will double my watts to 200 watts ethier im right are you are wrong

I'll leave this to another.

im confused in what you just said i always thought that hooking up a power amp with my av amp will give me more power its like my uncle stereo with the power amp can use 180 watts to is 2 front speakers were my is only pushing out 100 watts so i thought by buying a power amp that punshes out 100 watts will double my watts to 200 watts ethier im right are you are wrong
    Maybe you should have your uncle take a stab at explaining this to you since we don't seem to be getting through to you and heaven knows I tried to keep the posts as simple as possible.

One last clue... you don't add the power amp to your current power amp. It replaces your current power amp.

markw out

The "pre-outs" are just that. They deliver the signal "out", "pre" (or before) it goes to the amp section of your AVR. If you hook these pre-outs up to an external amp, you are bypassing your AVR's amps altogether. Then the power you end up getting to your speakers is only coming from your external amp. There is no adding of the external and internal amps. It's one, or the other.

There are some fairly priced external amps available here in the States. I'm not sure what you have available where you are.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The "pre-outs" are just that. They deliver the signal "out", "pre" (or before) it goes to the amp section of your AVR. If you hook these pre-outs up to an external amp, you are bypassing your AVR's amps altogether. Then the power you end up getting to your speakers is only coming from your external amp. There is no adding of the external and internal amps. It's one, or the other.
    I think he wants to Bi-amp with both the receivers amps and the external amp...No???
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

im on about these
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-GFA-555-II...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/2393

will these hook up to my sony av amp and give me more power and how do you get these to work toegther

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I think he wants to Bi-amp with both the receivers amps and the external amp...No???
    yes thats what i mean bi amping because if i hook up a power amp to av amp ill get even more dynamic soundstage and it will give me audiophile performance in stereo as well as multi-channel modes. is that true will bi amping give me that better sound .

I'm very familiar with KEF speakers. Biamping will make a difference in sound quality. The Q35s are a very good speaker for the money, but they are not the References. KEF has to build these speakers to a price point, and they are expensive to build when considering their sale price. KEF, like all other manufacturers make compromises where you don't see it, with crossovers. The crossover components; capacitors, resistors and wire, while fairly decent is not of the highest grade. While the Q35s are good sounding speakers, bi-amping will bypass the crossover between bass and mid/hi. The speakers will perform at a higher level.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 01-03-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thread Information