Audio Enthusiast

Receiver Choices

I need a good receiver to listen hi-fi stereo. Consider the stereo (only) receiver Yamaha RX-797 and audio/video receiver Yamaha RX-V 2700 which one should I take ? Any pros and cons ? Really appreciate all feedback and advices.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    I need a good receiver to listen hi-fi stereo. Consider the stereo (only) receiver Yamaha RX-797 and audio/video receiver Yamaha RX-V 2700 which one should I take ? Any pros and cons ? Really appreciate all feedback and advices.
    AVOID A/V receivers, they are toys.
    Which speakers are you using? Consider the lower wattage 497.

Forum Regular
    If you listen to mostly music as opposed to using a receiver for HT, then a 2 channel receiver might be a good option. I'm not really familiar with the new RX series from Yamaha, but am familiar with the RX line just before the new series. I used an RX-596 for about 5 years and was happy with it. There are a bunch of companies making 2 channel receivers such as Onkyo, Denon, & NAD just to name a few. What's your budget? What kind of speakers are you using?

Forum Regular
    I suggest you to avoid receivers and go to something more woth.
    If you are on a budget: http://www.magicsound.it/shop/produc...oducts_id=3656
    Cheap build but HI-FI sound. Don't know if they ship outside Italy.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

nightflier
    SAP, what is your budget? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of room will you be listening in? If you don't need radio, you might want to step it up a notch and try an integrated.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    SAP, what is your budget? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of room will you be listening in? If you don't need radio, you might want to step it up a notch and try an integrated.
    Tried Yamaha RX 797 it sounds so bad. Rotel RCC 1055 does not have sub-woofer output and NAD C720BEE is too weak (just 50 watt per channel). My buget is no more than USD 3,000. Can u guys suggest some high-end ones ? Thanks

For $3000 there are alot of choices. I would definitely go with separate preamp and amp.
    It sounds like you may be leaning toward a multichannel amp for audio and video.
    Check out www.outlawaudio.com their 990preamp is very nice along with its matching amp. NAD, B&K also make multichannel amps and preamps in that price range.
    If your looking for a multichannel receiver, NAD, 4000 series Denon. At the price range your looking at you should have no problem buying a high qulity system!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

We need more information to make informed suggestions.

What is your room size ?
    What brand and model of speaker are you using ?
    What are your listening habits ?

The NAD 720BEE is by no means a weak amp. It will drive pretty much anything, except for the most inefficient speakers.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    We need more information to make informed suggestions.

What is your room size ?
    What brand and model of speaker are you using ?
    What are your listening habits ?

The NAD 720BEE is by no means a weak amp. It will drive pretty much anything, except for the most inefficient speakers.
    Room size: average
    Speaker: living room Monitor Audio GS-10 and dining room Monitor Audio Radius 90
    Habit: listen to high crisp & detail sound (prefer to bright sound) and definitely need to use a subwoofer.

NAD tends to have a warmer sound. You might want to consider getting a CDP that is a little on the bright side like the Cambridge Audio 740c that I just got today. Its very detailed and transparent compared to the Marantz SA8001 I also got today. I've always felt its easier to fine tune your system with a CDP and Cables.

Adcom amps tend to be on the brighter side in my experience.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Well the GS10 has an 88db sensitivity which means you can achieve well over a 100db of output with the NAD 720 BEE. Remember one thing the Rotel will only give you 3db more output with it's 100 watt output. You have to double power output every time you want to achieve 3 db more output. Any well made receiver or integrated amp with 50 watts of power will be plenty for the GS10 or Radius 90's.

You state you prefer a brighter detailed sound. Well the GS10's are already a bright speaker so I can see how the Yamaha may not have worked well. Probably way to bright. The NAD may be a good choice since it leans to the wamer side of neutral. I have heard MA speakers with NAD and it's a nice combo.

If you don't listen to the radio much get an integrated amp.

Also remember the acoustics of your room have the biggest impact on sound. More than any other componet in the system. If you have alot of hard surfaces that reflect sound this will make the speakers sound brighter and possibly harsh. So it wont matter what amp you use. It's still gonna be bright and harsh.

Hope this helps.

SAPSEC. for your consideration:

The Sony 7000es is a direct decendant of the flagship 9000es receiver (which I am sorry I didn't buy but its obsolete now). Absolute Sound rated the 7000es as one of their picks in the receiver/processor category, this as their 'budget' choice, followed by the Anthem Statement D1 (now D2) which when sold with amp costs over $13,000. Following this is the Theta Casablanca, this processor fully loaded only costs $18,000.00 WITHOUT the amp, mere pocket change, don't you love these guys who think we're all minting money! Lets not even talk about the Levinson No 41 Media Processor and accompanying amp (s), because the price is laughable.

Back to the point; I was so impressed with the sound quality of the 7000es that I bought one as a special present for my pop, who loves music, especially folk and ethnic. The special sound qualities are I believe a direct result of Sony's very high quality execution of digital switching amp technology, like the NuForce reference 9 monoblocks. I personally own the Yamaha RX-Z9 flagship receiver for my HT needs, which has recently been replaced and retired by the just announced RX-Z11. If I'm to be really truthful, I think the 7000es at much less than half the price sounds, dare I say it, very, very close to as good as my ($4,500) Z9. The first thing you'll notice when listening to the 7000es is that the sound, be it two-channel or multi-channel, is very transparent and clear indeed moreso than the Z9. The Sony's sound has excellent speed or PRaT (Pace Rythm and Timing). Bass control is also tight with excellent control. The sound is a little different to the Z9, which has more body shall we say, and more weight, with the bass sounding ultimately fuller, but again its real close - to close for Yamaha's liking I shouldn't wonder.

Inevitably if you get into seperate processors and multi-channel amps, your talking about a LOT more money. Yes, there will be performance gains, but for its price, the 7000es I believe offers the best sounding receiver available. Strictly in terms of ease of operation and overall functionality, the higher-priced Yamis are in a class of their own. The operating system is so much better than the Sony's, but again, ultimately its sound for the buck that counts, as you won't be in and out of the operating system too much once the speakers have been calibrated. What you will be doing is listening to music or watching movies. By the way, the 7000es in Silver is much more handsome than the black. It is built with Rolex-like quality and has a lovely satin-like finish. Your significant other, should you unfortunately have to care about such things, will be very pleased with its looks.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 01-04-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Are you planning to use this for HT or strictly music?

Working with your $3k budget:

For HT I would suggest the Outlaw Model 990 Preamp/Processor for $900.00 http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html
    and the 7700 amp for $2149.00 http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7700.html

Or try Emotiva http://www.emotiva.com/products.html

For just music I'd go with the CAP-2100 - Integrated Power Amplifier http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/int-amps-menu.htm
    But you may have to find one used to meet your budget.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information