Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vizio now #1 flat panel TV brand = Apex Digital?

This news made the rounds the end of last week -- off-brand vendor Vizio is now the biggest selling flat panel TV brand in North America with a 12% market share. An angle that the AP story (and newspaper headlines) jumped on is Vizio's status as an "American" brand surpassing Asian electronics giants Sony and Samsung, even though none of the actual manufacturing is done in the U.S. So far, Vizio has focused on mass merchandising channels like Costco and Wal-Mart.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...z2pp5UB1nfwfgw

But, the one aspect of Vizio's operations that jumped out at me was their total workforce of only 85 employees, and a total reliance on outsource partners to provide product. That conjures up flashbacks to Apex Digital. Remember them? They were the off-brand electronics company that rapidly ascended to become the #1 DVD player brand in 2002 and fell off the charts to obscurity just as quickly. The parallels with Vizio are pretty striking. Apex was a $1 billion company with a workforce of less than 100 employees. They outsourced all of their major operations (including customer support), and constantly switched their outsource manufacturing providers depending on who could provide the lowest price (which meant lack of continuity from one Apex model to another). Apex's house of cards fell because their product quality was lousy and the price points for brand name manufacturers soon caught up with Apex.

Is Vizio setting itself up for a similar fall? The price points for the major brands keep on tumbling, and they drop their prices while continuing to maintain continuity with model updates and providing their own aftersales support. Vizio does differ from Apex in the sense that they actively market themselves (even got Ladainian Tomlinson as a paid endorser), and seem to want to build a brand identity. I don't know anything about Vizio's product quality, so we'll see if they can maintain their momentum even as the other name brand HDTVs continue their price declines.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    My neice bought her Apex TV at the local Albertson's grocery store about 3 - 4 years ago. I wonder if it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    This news made the rounds the end of last week -- off-brand vendor Vizio is now the biggest selling flat panel TV brand in North America with a 12% market share.
    This might be the biggest differenece between Vizio and Apex......Vizio being # 1 in selling TVs, and Apex wasn't.

Apex TVs were just piece of junk and I don't think they captures any significant market share for TVs. I tried one of their TVs, and it didn't take more than five minutes to take it back.

But Vizio seem to be getting good reviews not only from consumers, but from publications also. It might all come down as how they be able to handle after sale follow ups as to keep their reputation intact.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    This news made the rounds the end of last week -- off-brand vendor Vizio is now the biggest selling flat panel TV brand in North America with a 12% market share. An angle that the AP story (and newspaper headlines) jumped on is Vizio's status as an "American" brand surpassing Asian electronics giants Sony and Samsung, even though none of the actual manufacturing is done in the U.S. So far, Vizio has focused on mass merchandising channels like Costco and Wal-Mart.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...z2pp5UB1nfwfgw

But, the one aspect of Vizio's operations that jumped out at me was their total workforce of only 85 employees, and a total reliance on outsource partners to provide product. That conjures up flashbacks to Apex Digital. Remember them? They were the off-brand electronics company that rapidly ascended to become the #1 DVD player brand in 2002 and fell off the charts to obscurity just as quickly. The parallels with Vizio are pretty striking. Apex was a $1 billion company with a workforce of less than 100 employees. They outsourced all of their major operations (including customer support), and constantly switched their outsource manufacturing providers depending on who could provide the lowest price (which meant lack of continuity from one Apex model to another). Apex's house of cards fell because their product quality was lousy and the price points for brand name manufacturers soon caught up with Apex.

Is Vizio setting itself up for a similar fall? The price points for the major brands keep on tumbling, and they drop their prices while continuing to maintain continuity with model updates and providing their own aftersales support. Vizio does differ from Apex in the sense that they actively market themselves (even got Ladainian Tomlinson as a paid endorser), and seem to want to build a brand identity. I don't know anything about Vizio's product quality, so we'll see if they can maintain their momentum even as the other name brand HDTVs continue their price declines.

off-brand?
    OFF BRAND ???
    This maker of TV sets has been around at least as long as some of the so called "brand"
    names.
    And I could tell ya that it sells big, I watched STACK of 42 inchers, on a pallet in wallfart, rapidily disapear one day, a worker said they are always refreshing it.
    And why not? I love mine, and am using it as a computer moniter as we speak.
    Theres no lag to speak of, and with a little tweaking the black level is quite good.
    VIZIO, the RCA of the 21st century
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    off-brand?
    OFF BRAND ???
    This maker of TV sets has been around at least as long as some of the so called "brand"
    names.
    And I could tell ya that it sells big, I watched STACK of 42 inchers, on a pallet in wallfart, rapidily disapear one day, a worker said they are always refreshing it.
    And why not? I love mine, and am using it as a computer moniter as we speak.
    Theres no lag to speak of, and with a little tweaking the black level is quite good.
    VIZIO, the RCA of the 21st century
    What kind of employee discount did you get on yours?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I wish

BTW does your shrink give you a bulk rate for billable hours?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I wish

BTW does your shrink give you a bulk rate for billable hours?
    Wow, the past few days have been so nice around here, any reason why you felt the need to come back off a few days rest and stir things up in tradition troll-like fashion?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    ROFLMAO!

Very good analogy Woochifer...everytime I look at a Vizio, I give up my last meal! I give them another couple years...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ROFLMAO!
    My reaction EXACTLY!!!

I have an Apex 32" CRT that I paid $200 for on a Black Friday 4 years ago. It looks just as good now as it did when it was new. Not at all.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have an Apex 32" CRT that I paid $200 for on a Black Friday 4 years ago. It looks just as good now as it did when it was new. Not at all.
    Well, you know what they say....CRT is the future.

Cool

Well, you know what they say....CRT is the future.
    YEP... if you're living in 1920.
    The hospital where I currently work is replacing ALL of their TVS' with lcd screens.
    Maybe you can get a good deal on all of the "futurized" CRTS they're throwing out.
    I'll take the 42in Olevia they have hanging in one of the waiting rooms.
    I know they'll give you a good deal on the Plasma they had that died when the gas
    leaked out of the tube
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

The hospital where I currently work is replacing ALL of their TVS' with lcd screens.
    Maybe you can get a good deal on all of the "futurized" CRTS they're throwing out.
    I know they'll give you a good deal on the Plasma they had that died when the gas
    leaked out of the tube
    I don't think they informed you....yeah, that hospital that you 'work' at...well, they aren't quite telling you the whole truth on that one. Well, I guess if they let you out on the weekends that's pretty decent, you know I was always wondering why you only post between 2am and about 5am, that must be 'Internet hours' on your wing. So what is Nurse Ratchett really like???

Talking

I don't think they informed you....yeah, that hospital that you 'work' at...well, they aren't quite telling you the whole truth on that one. Well, I guess if they let you out on the weekends that's pretty decent, you know I was always wondering why you only post between 2am and about 5am, that must be 'Internet hours' on your wing. So what is Nurse Ratchett really like???
    As good in the sack as ever, and she gave me a message for you.
    "Come home son, all is forgiven"
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

As good in the sack as ever, and she gave me a message for you.
    "Come home son, all is forgiven"
    Wow, I really feel sorry for you.

Cool

Wow, I really feel sorry for you.
    Feel sorry for yourself.
    I recall from one of your recent posts, you have just bought a CD (or sacd)
    of Led zepplin II. I got the first edition, on vinyl, or as we called it back then,
    RECORDS.
    Spent half of a income tax return on physical graffiti.
    Cried when water damaged most of my records, (L.A WOMAN, DIAMOND DOGS,
    YOUNG AMERICANS, EXILES ON MAIN STREET, ETC)
    And I remember when Yamaha turned out stereo receivers, with aluminum faceplates
    and wood cabinets. And tanberg. And AR speakers. AND sansui.
    And Rock concerts, REAL ones. And reel to reel tape, and the bootlegs to go on it.
    You might "listen" to rock and roll, my generation INVENTED it.
    What did your generation invent?
    Britney Spears?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

leaked out of the tube
    Thanks, but I'll stick with my 106" screen.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Feel sorry for yourself.
    of Led zepplin II. I got the first edition, on vinyl, or as we called it back then,
    RECORDS.
    And I remember when Yamaha turned out stereo receivers, with aluminum faceplates
    And Rock concerts, REAL ones. And reel to reel tape, and the bootlegs to go on it.
    Britney Spears?
    Do you ever have a meaningful point?

Hey...Britney was tearing her hair out for ME! But I had to say NO...you just aren't good enough for me baby!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO
    Hey...Britney was tearing her hair out for ME! But I had to say NO...you just aren't good enough for me baby!
    You tell her. When she's back up to 50 mil a year, then maybe she'd be worth the sacrifice.

Feel sorry for yourself.
    RECORDS.
    Britney Spears?
    What is that suppose to mean? Yeah, I just recently picked up the Japanese import remaster of LED ZEPPELIN II, big deal. I grew up on that record and all of their others, just because I was alive in the early 1970's when that album first arrived doesn't mean I can appreciate it any less than you, just like anyone who listens to Mozart ...we didn't have to see him live in concert to appreciate his musical genius. I could care less what your generation produced, I get to enjoy the better parts of it's byproduct, but sometimes I don't know if the trade-off is worth putting up with it's negative aspects as well, you know...people like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    Do you ever have a meaningful point?
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Noooooooooooo.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You tell her. When she's back up to 50 mil a year, then maybe she'd be worth the sacrifice.
    $50 mil a year...now that may be worth ignoring her for!

Cool

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Noooooooooooo.
    He wasn't talking to you, he was talking to me.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information