China film group and acer computer go blu-ray

A recent article in timesonline.com states that the China film group has decided to back
    Blu-ray. This is the major distributor of film content for China and is a defacto
    regulator, in other words, China will be Blu-ray.
    Also Acer, the no.3 computer manufacturer has decided to install Blu-ray in its laptop
    and desktop models.
    A lot think the P.C will be one of the major deciding factors in this "format war" and this is a big win for Blu-ray.
    And there is a lot of criticism of the Paramount-Dreamworks decision to go HDDVD,
    its seen as prolonging this "war", but not by much.
    Theres another three articles on this site concerning Blu-ray, must read
    Basically, long term what does this mean?
    It means that, if you want a large choice in HD movies, there's probably going to be
    a blu-ray in your future
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I know I'm a sucker for Chinese TV series box sets, and Mandarin summer blockbuster director cuts.
    Does this mean we'll see hundreds of cheap, knock-off pirated BluRay discs flooding the market?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I know I'm a sucker for Chinese TV series box sets, and Mandarin summer blockbuster director cuts.
    Does this mean we'll see hundreds of cheap, knock-off pirated BluRay discs flooding the market?
    It means that if one and a half billion people want to see a HDDVD disc, it will be in the Blu-ray format. If you want to distribute a movie on a HD disc in China it will be a Blu-ray disc.
    The Acer decision means that the primary storage device of the future will most likely
    be a Blu-ray optical drive. No surprize there, as most computer types have already decided this.
    I saw a "300" clip on sony's new 499 player today, btw, and it looked gorgeous.
    It was playing on one of Sonys new sets, which are 1080p and show 24 frames per second. ( three frames shown three times each for 72 fps)
    PIXEL FOR PIXEL WITH NO CONVERSION ARTIFACTS in other words.
    Very nice. Saw Blu-ray recordable blanks too, 25$ each, about a buck a gigibyte.
    News is that the Paramount - dreamworks defection cost 150 million, one studio got a hundred mill and the other 50 mill, any more "victories" like that and the HDDVD camp
    will be bankrupt
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    It means that if one and a half billion people want to see a HDDVD disc, it will be in the Blu-ray format. If you want to distribute a movie on a HD disc in China it will be a Blu-ray disc.
    The Acer decision means that the primary storage device of the future will most likely
    be a Blu-ray optical drive. No surprize there, as most computer types have already decided this.
    I saw a "300" clip on sony's new 499 player today, btw, and it looked gorgeous.
    It was playing on one of Sonys new sets, which are 1080p and show 24 frames per second. ( three frames shown three times each for 72 fps)
    PIXEL FOR PIXEL WITH NO CONVERSION ARTIFACTS in other words.
    Very nice. Saw Blu-ray recordable blanks too, 25$ each, about a buck a gigibyte.
    News is that the Paramount - dreamworks defection cost 150 million, one studio got a hundred mill and the other 50 mill, any more "victories" like that and the HDDVD camp
    will be bankrupt
    How many of those 1.5 billion have HD televisions?It only becomes relevant when there is a large base of HDTV's,in the future yes but i think thats a ways off.
    $150 million is a weeks coffee money for Microsoft,don't worry about that.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    How many of those 1.5 billion have HD televisions?It only becomes relevant when there is a large base of HDTV's,in the future yes but i think thats a ways off.
    $150 million is a weeks coffee money for Microsoft,don't worry about that.

bill
    True enough but I think it shows the overwhelming trend toward Blu-ray.
    If some would read some of the business publications out there they might see
    that this is the format of the future.
    I have seen a lot of formats come and go, and the comparison to DVDAUDIO
    and SACD isnt valid. Those never were going to be mass market formats.
    And now you can get a Blu-ray for 499$ and it looks really good, so the price isn't really
    a factor anymore.
    And for the Chinese their first TV will be a HD model, this country is quickly modernizing,
    what kind of disc they buy will matter a great deal.
    And this decision means it will be Blu-ray
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I'm glad the great pixeldamus has it all figured out. I wish I could see the future too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I'm glad the great pixeldamus has it all figured out. I wish I could see the future too.
    GET SOME AGE AND EXPERIENCE, and most importanly, take those blinders off.
    I have predicted the demise of over half a dozen "formats", its really not hard to do if you look at the facts.
    what is really frightening is how much of this is obvious from the get-go, how much ego and hubris plays into all of this.
    Both of these "players" knew darn good and well that there was no market for two HDDISC
    formats, maybe not even one, most are perfectly happy with their DVDS', but they went into this dumb mess anyway, thinking they would "win".
    For all these companies spend on marketing research how could they be so clueless?
    TWO hirez audio formats when their target audience is rediscovering the "turntable",
    and the great unwashed is downloading crap mp3's off the net because they are "good enough", the market can't hardly support CD anymore.
    And now two hirez video formats when most dont understand why they should give up their DVDS, especially with gas at three bucks a gallon and the markets tanking.
    ONE GOOD hirez DVD format, all we needed, but these two couldn't lay their egos aside,
    and now both are going to pay for that mistake, sadly consumers will pay too
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

GET SOME AGE AND EXPERIENCE, and most importanly, take those blinders off.
    I have predicted the demise of over half a dozen "formats", its really not hard to do if you look at the facts.
    what is really frightening is how much of this is obvious from the get-go, how much ego and hubris plays into all of this.
    Both of these "players" knew darn good and well that there was no market for two HDDISC
    formats, maybe not even one, most are perfectly happy with their DVDS', but they went into this dumb mess anyway, thinking they would "win".
    For all these companies spend on marketing research how could they be so clueless?
    TWO hirez audio formats when their target audience is rediscovering the "turntable",
    and the great unwashed is downloading crap mp3's off the net because they are "good enough", the market can't hardly support CD anymore.
    And now two hirez video formats when most dont understand why they should give up their DVDS, especially with gas at three bucks a gallon and the markets tanking.
    ONE GOOD hirez DVD format, all we needed, but these two couldn't lay their egos aside,
    and now both are going to pay for that mistake, sadly consumers will pay too
    Get some age? Well, that sorta comes naturally as time progresses. Experience isn't everything as you are the perfect example of someone who may have experience, but it's limited and unfortunately as made you so arrogant and prideful that you think you are always right. I am not afraid to admit my shortcomings or my mistakes...it's the only way to learn.

There is a difference between saying ...I prefer Blu-ray or I think Blu-ray will win instead of saying Blu-ray WILL win. You don't know that. Even looking at the facts doesn't mean anything at this point because there are still too many factors happening. Even so, no one knows the future. I just don't understand your point in coming here making outrageous claims about Blu-ray and LCD. Do you get bonus points when people buy a Blu-ray player or an LCD? Are you a hidden spammer? It's either that or you are just a troll (like everyone thinks) and you are trying to stir up trouble.

Suspended
    I don't think I've ever seen an "IMO" in any of his posts.

(I type this knowing I'm probably going to get an anti-DLP smack in response... Gawd I love the ignore user button)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I don't think I've ever seen an "IMO" in any of his posts.

(I type this knowing I'm probably going to get an anti-DLP smack in response... Gawd I love the ignore user button)
    Well, that's it exactly, he doesn't consider his opinion ..he feels that everyone should share his opinion, therefore making it a fact, not an opinion anymore. I realize that most of the people around her feel that the best method of getting rid of a troll is to ignore it, which sometimes works, but in this case I felt the need to at least police some of the responses and to put a check on some of the remarks that are questionable. Otherwise people who are coming here for legit information end up getting misled or confused even more.

Suspended
    I agree.

Acer, the no.3 computer manufacturer has decided to install Blu-ray in its laptop
    and desktop models.
    A lot think the P.C will be one of the major deciding factors in this "format war" and this is a big win for Blu-ray.

It means that, if you want a large choice in HD movies, there's probably going to be
    a blu-ray in your future
    Sorry to burst your bubble Pixel ol' boy... but Acer just joined the HD DVD Promotional Group as well. Please see the press release below as my source.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4657942&EDATE=

I guess yet again HD DVD seems to be able to continue just fine despite all of your predictions of doom. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Cool

Well, that's it exactly, he doesn't consider his opinion ..he feels that everyone should share his opinion, therefore making it a fact, not an opinion anymore. I realize that most of the people around her feel that the best method of getting rid of a troll is to ignore it, which sometimes works, but in this case I felt the need to at least police some of the responses and to put a check on some of the remarks that are questionable. Otherwise people who are coming here for legit information end up getting misled or confused even more.
    FOR the last time, you need to understand that I am entitled to my opinion as much as anybody else, weather you like it or not.
    Heres the thing, there is massive support for BLU-RAY in Hollywood, silicon valley,
    AND wall street, the discs are outselling HDDVD 2 to one, and I don't think you are "wrong" to call it the other way, just misinformed.
    I am "calling" this "format war because I think its fun to make predictions, and I never
    make a prediction unless I am absolutely sure, and whats the harm anyway?
    Why are you insulted by my prediction of the demise of HDDVD?
    Because you yourself aren't sure?
    And why do you presume that I THINK EVERYONE should "share" my opinion?
    When have I ever said that? I couldn't give a rats ass if ANYONE shares my opinion,
    but I think that anyone going into the rather expensive investment of a new format
    should know some of whats going on..
    The Chinese are modernizing, and the first TV any of them will own will be a HDTV,
    and if they want a high rez disc to play on it it will be BLU-RAY. Thats signifigant.
    One of the reasons corporations are moving to China is that thats the future, most of the market growth in the future will be in Asia, not just China.
    Even if a "niche" market in China it will sell millions, to say that this is a big win for BLU RAY is an understatement.
    HDDVD on the other hand is so weak in industry support it gives one pause, maybe this whole "format war" is just a way to publicize HDDVD in any format.
    Remember DIVX? Not the neat codec that is out now, the lawyer inspired fiasco that would
    call a server everytime you watched a disc.
    A lot of rental stores were slow to adopt DVD at first, thought it was another laserdisc.
    DIVX made them get off the fence and support DVD .
    If it weren't for this "format" war a lot of people wouldn't even know about hddvd,
    a lot dont now know that much about it.
    With downloading and VOD becoming more popular there isn't going to be room for more than one hirez disc format, if that.
    And Blu ray will be that format. Oh, you can disagree, and even put your money where your mouth is and get into HDDVD.
    The only advantage HDDVD has is price, and that is fading fast.
    I can't afford a Blu-ray right now, could afford a toshiba, but wont buy one,
    for the same reason I didn't buy a Beta-max.
    The early adopters of at least one of these formats is going to be stuck with an orphan.
    You know who the pioneers are? They are the ones with the arrows sticking out of their backs. People surfing this site, wondering maybe which is which and which one to spend their hard earned cash on need more to go on to make an investment, not the
    bland statements that "no one knows" which will surrive.
    This format is getting so lopsided that even one as clueless as peruvian schizo should be able to figure out which is going to be here in a few years, if any will be.
    Think I am wrong? I might very well be, but I would love to hear why you think HDDVD
    has any chance of surriving, if you think I am wrong I would like to hear why, not just a bunch of *****ing about how I am not entitled to an opinion, I am entitled to one as much as philly schizo for sure
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    FOR the last time, you need to understand that I am entitled to my opinion as much as anybody else, weather you like it or not.
    I might very well be, but I would love to hear why you think HDDVD
    has any chance of surriving, if you think I am wrong I would like to hear why, not just a bunch of *****ing about how I am not entitled to an opinion, I am entitled to one as much as philly schizo for sure
    If you would just use ALL CAPS when you write, your posts would have more impact. Tied together with your wonky writing pattern and style it would be a trifecta of crapulence.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    If you would just use ALL CAPS when you write, your posts would have more impact. Tied together with your wonky writing pattern and style it would be a trifecta of crapulence.
    I'll leave the "crapulence" to you, you seem to know so much about it
    BTW, did you know that MICHEAL bay, director of the 300 million dollar movie
    Transformers, got so irked about Paramounts decision to go HDDVD that he said that there wasn't going to be a transformers 2? Didn't like the idea that it was going to eventually be coming out on HDDVD, which a lot of Hollywood insiders are ALREADY
    considering a dead deal.
    Well, they got Bay into a room with rubber hoses and jumper cables attached to a ford pickup and he changed his mind, something about losing millions of dollars and taking up residence behind a quik stop.
    But his thinking mirrors a lot of what Hollywood is tthinking, that HDDVD is done for.
    Why is it so controversial to say so?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Transformers, got so irked about Paramounts decision to go HDDVD that he said that there wasn't going to be a transformers 2? Didn't like the idea that it was going to eventually be coming out on HDDVD, which a lot of Hollywood insiders are ALREADY
    considering a dead deal.
    Well, they got Bay into a room with rubber hoses and jumper cables attached to a ford pickup and he changed his mind, something about losing millions of dollars and taking up residence behind a quik stop.
    But his thinking mirrors a lot of what Hollywood is tthinking, that HDDVD is done for.
    You lost me at "I'll". As you didn't post in ALL CAPS, I quickly decided your post wasn't worth the digital crap it was composed of. Thanks for trying though.

considering a dead deal.
    Someone needs to buy you a map and teach you some geography....first, you thought I was from Peru, which I doubt you even know where that is, now you think I am from Philadelphia....close, it's only about 7 hours away from me though.

Cool

Someone needs to buy you a map and teach you some geography....first, you thought I was from Peru, which I doubt you even know where that is, now you think I am from Philadelphia....close, it's only about 7 hours away from me though.
    Thats what YOU said.
    Wherever you're from (and I really dont care) you need to read up on some electronics
    and high end audio, as this is the only "high end"
    you seem to know about
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thats what YOU said.
    Wherever you're from (and I really dont care) you need to read up on some electronics
    and high end audio, as this is the only "high end"
    you seem to know about
    Please refer me to the thread where I said I was from Philly....I think you are mistaken...I said I was from Pennsylvania, which also starts with the letter "P". Pennsylvania is a State, and Philadelphia is a City. Lesson over for today.

Please refer me to the thread where I said I was from Philly....I think you are mistaken...I said I was from Pennsylvania, which also starts with the letter "P". Pennsylvania is a State, and Philadelphia is a City. Lesson over for today.
    And don't forget to use ALL CAPS. It will make your responses more "entertaining".

You two play nice. Don't make me turn this computer around.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You two play nice. Don't make me turn this computer around.
    Who? What 2? I was only reminding Pixel to use ALL CAPS. I feel it will really highlight his enlightening comments, and make the read more dynamic. Perhaps if he also wrote in traditional mandrin, that would also be nice.

Cool

I remember when Penn state used to play Bama, and I worked at the airport.
    Well, we always looked forward to PENN state fans coming in for their annual beating
    at Bears hands.
    They were always so nice and friendly and well mannered.
    Go figure
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I remember when Penn state used to play Bama, and I worked at the airport.
    Well, we always looked forward to PENN state fans coming in for their annual beating
    at Bears hands.
    They were always so nice and friendly and well mannered.
    Go figure
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here either, I am 3 hours away from Penn State College, and I don't really watch football either. If you have a point, try just saying it instead of lacing it through some lame college football story.

Thread Information