ck1
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Olive® unveils OPUS - High-end CD player stores 1,100 CDs in lossless quality.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA — March 1st, 2006 — Olive Media Products, Inc., a developer of innovative digital audio systems, today announced the new OPUS, a high-end CD Player with integrated 400GB hard drive. Designed and custom-built in the USA the OPUS is targeted at the audiophile market. The heart of its digital-to-analog conversion is powered by four Burr-Brown 24-bit/192 kHz DACs with 8X oversampling. A separate temperature-compensated crystal oscillator provides the DACs with an ideal clock reference, and virtually eliminates jitter. To minimize the noise level and prevent corruption of the analog signal the OPUS features an exclusively linear power supply. Combining premium audio technology with harmonious circuit architecture the OPUS delivers an audio experience on par with high-end CD players in its class, and sets a new standard for digital music players.

Like Olive®’s award-wining music center line, the OPUS allows users to record, tag and archive CDs with a simple button, using an ultra-quiet hard drive that holds up to 1,100 CDs in lossless quality. Once in the digital domain users can conveniently access their music and create playlists across their entire collection.

“Integrating convergence technology into a high-end audio device ultimately leads to a better music experience.” said Oliver Bergmann, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer and President of Olive Media Products, Inc. “But it also poses a great challenge due to its distortional influence on audio reproduction. Olive’s long-standing engineering experience with both worlds allows the OPUS to take advantage of the digital audio revolution, while delivering a stunning sonic performance.”

The OPUS’ remarkable acoustic performance is complemented by its minimalist design. Built out of fine grade aluminum the solid chassis features a distinctive front
    plate with an elegant CD door, and is optimized to reduce operating noise and vibration.

The Olive® OPUS in brief.

Harmonious circuit architecture.
    • Hand-designed audio board with double-sided assembly provides clean signal
    path and considerable reduction in parasitic inductance and capacitance.
    • Extensive use of separate analog and digital planes as well as separate power
    and ground planes reduces ground impedance, crosstalk, and noise floor.

Premium DAC design.
    • 4x Burr-Brown 24-bit/192 kHz DACs ensure maximum resolution and accuracy.
    • 8X oversampling with 352.8 kHz sample rate eliminates ultrasonic noise and
    allows the use of gentle analog filters.
    • Ultra-low jitter master clock eliminates timing error-induced distortion.
    • Precision analog output section maintains linearity and low noise.
    • Passive anti-image filter avoids slew-induced distortion and power supply
    modulation.

Clean power.
    • Independent supplies for analog and digital sections, including toroidal
    transformers, prevent corruption of analog signal.
    • Low noise linear regulators keep noise levels low while supplying tightly
    regulated power.
    • Large reservoir capacitance provides current reserves for transients and
    extended bass response.
    • Power-line EMI/RFI filtering reduces noise induced from mains.

Audible design.
    • Solid chassis and closed front plate eliminate noise of CD & HD mechanism.
    • Special 8X bearing for HD eliminates vibration and operating noise.
    • Power efficient components allow fan-less design.

Convenience.
    • Ultra-quiet 400GB hard drive stores up to 1,100 CDs in lossless quality.
    • Integrated CD database provides music information.
    • High-resolution LCD and intuitive jog-shuttle for convenient navigation.
    • Play, burn or copy audio CDs.
    • Update your Apple® iPod™.
    • Stream music to multiple rooms (build-in Ethernet hub and 802.11g access point)
    • Free preload of the customer’s music collection with purchase of the OPUS
    (Limited time offer. See website for terms and conditions.).

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
    The Olive® OPUS will be available beginning of March 2006 for US$2,999. Products are available through certified resellers or directly by phone (1.877.BY.OLIVE), and online at www.olive.us.

ABOUT OLIVE MEDIA PRODUCTS
    Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Olive® is a privately held company driven by a team of music aficionados with a vision to create the perfect audio
    experience. With a deep understanding of audio and convergence technology, Olive® solutions deliver the best of both worlds, combining high fidelity sound and
    innovative features with intuitive navigation and attractive design. For more information about Olive® and its many fine products visit www.olive.us or call 1.877.BY.OLIVE.

FOR MEDIA INFORMATION
    Olive Corporate Communications
    Telephone: (415) 908 3870
    E-mail: communication@olive.us

TRADEMARKS
    Olive is a registered trademark of Olive Media Products, Inc. in the US and in the countries where Olive products are sold or distributed. Olive OPUS, and Olive Preload are trademarks of Olive Media Products, Inc. Other brands and names are the property of their respective owners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Olive® unveils OPUS  - High-end CD player stores 1,100 CDs in lossless quality.-opus_opus.jpg  

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Conforming press release

Hi fellow mods, please do not delete this post. It is a confirmed press release.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

$3000?? Yikes.

I spent:

1) $400 on an external 500GB hard drive;
    2) $250 on a Squeezebox;
    3) and $975 on a Benchmark DAC1

for a system that's substantially more powerful and flexible than that. For instance, I can add to or replace the hard drive if I want to expand my collection, use the hard drive for other things, store my music in any format or multiple formats I like, etc. etc. The Squeezebox also has Internet radio, open source code, about a hundred add-ons and mods, etc.

True, I had to do the work of getting it together, but that's nothing for someone with a miminal level of computer savvy.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

I think your missing the point here Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    $3000?? Yikes.
    Of all the members on the boards, I thought you would think this is neat. Your the only one I know of so far that has gone all H/D storage for audio.

Like the press release says, the unit is designed for an audiophile looking to take the next step in audio storage (a step which you've already taken). $3000 seems like a lot of money, but I know people who wouldn't bat an eye dropping more than that on a quality CD player. For that you get a quality CD player and a storage unit with all the bells and whistles that go along. I looked up the Olive website, and they have units starting as low as $899.

Also, I just got the Audio Advisor catalog and Cambridge Audio is selling a similar H/D storage CD unit for $1699. That's the SAME price my CD player went for new!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

^^^ I do think it's pretty neat, actually. If money were no object, and if I were the kind of person who didn't want to fuss with setting up my own system, I'd definitely think about it.

It's just that you can get the same thing (more actually) for much less $$ if you're willing to piece it together (and I think people should be aware of this.)

I suppose that's true about anything I guess; other people here like to put together their own speakers and amps for instance. But in this case you don't actually have to do any soldering or woodwork, for example, you just have to work with the computer a little.

But I'd be interested in seeing how it works and sounds, just out of curiousity.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Your the only one I know of so far that has gone all H/D storage for audio.
    I know there are a few others, BTW, but frankly I can't understand why there aren't more! It may be that the readership here skews to the older side.

Here's one set of forums where all the punk kidz and their crazy computer music setups hangout:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php

There are some very, very smart people there when it comes to digital music, so anyone who's interested in this stuff might check it out.

There are a number of others too - Hydrogen Audio etc.

I think it's the wave of the future

I know there are a few others, BTW, but frankly I can't understand why there aren't more! It may be that the readership here skews to the older side.

Here's one set of forums where all the punk kidz and their crazy computer music setups hangout:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php

There are some very, very smart people there when it comes to digital music, so anyone who's interested in this stuff might check it out.

There are a number of others too - Hydrogen Audio etc.
    In 10 years time I don't think you'll see many HT's, or audio setups that DON'T have a digital library. CD's, and DVD's may become obsolete if this tech takes off.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 03-05-2006 at 08:07 AM.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

It's still early in the product cycle

^^^ I do think it's pretty neat, actually. If money were no object, and if I were the kind of person who didn't want to fuss with setting up my own system, I'd definitely think about it.

It's just that you can get the same thing (more actually) for much less $$ if you're willing to piece it together (and I think people should be aware of this.)

I suppose that's true about anything I guess; other people here like to put together their own speakers and amps for instance. But in this case you don't actually have to do any soldering or woodwork, for example, you just have to work with the computer a little.

But I'd be interested in seeing how it works and sounds, just out of curiousity.
    These things are just hitting the market now. Early adopters always pay a premium. My guess is that in a few years they will come down a lot, as mass marketing and the economics of large scale production come into play.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

$3000?? Yikes.

I spent:

1) $400 on an external 500GB hard drive;
    2) $250 on a Squeezebox;
    3) and $975 on a Benchmark DAC1

BTW, to be fair, I should also point out that you need a computer to do this; the Olive device is standalone.

But somebody on the asylum site just pointed out a major disadvantage of the Olive device: No way to back up the hard drive!!! That's a huge problem. Presumably, down the line the company will sell a way to back it up, but you're married to their system.

For my setup, I burned my FLAC files onto archive-quality DVD's, but then I guess you have to add in the cost of the DVD burner if you don't already have one.

I think a computer is a given in the modern house

BTW, to be fair, I should also point out that you need a computer to do this; the Olive device is standalone.

But somebody on the asylum site just pointed out a major disadvantage of the Olive device: No way to back up the hard drive!!! That's a huge problem. Presumably, down the line the company will sell a way to back it up, but you're married to their system.

For my setup, I burned my FLAC files onto archive-quality DVD's, but then I guess you have to add in the cost of the DVD burner if you don't already have one.
    And the unit communicates via fast wireless, so streaming isn't a problem. It also fuctions as a CD burner, so I would imagine having some friends over and burning a comp for them if they hear something they like. I like the fact that it's got internet radio capabilty too. Sometimes I just like to hear what's out there and there's nothing like internet radio for that.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

In my case, even less

$3000?? Yikes.
    True, I had to do the work of getting it together, but that's nothing for someone with a miminal level of computer savvy.
    In my case my out-of-pocket was $160 for an M-Audio Audiophile USB plus maybe $60 for a USB hub and cables. Any even cheaper option would be the Xitel Pro HiFi-Link: $100 including the cables.

I didn't feel the need for a DAC other than the M-Audio whose DAC, IMO, is as good as any CDP <$1k. I had spare hard drive capacity, at least for now, using a router attached device I already was using.

Geoff mentioned the Cambridge device which I had also noticed at Audio Advisor but decided was over priced for what you get. The irony is that an M-Audio or Xitel option is likely even simpler to set up than the Cambridge or Opus.

Thread Information