Forum Regular

Question NAD 208 Question ?

I noticed some slightly humming sound in the woofer, when it's connected to the 208 and there is nothing else on the amp inputs, just the amp pluged in the outlet, no preamp or any jacks, I know that is very normal to hear a hiss in some amplifiers, but does the 208 puts out a quiet humming ??, or is something wrong with the amp, any NAD 208 owners noticed this

Sometimes an unterminated (open) input can cause this.

Try jumpering the inputs and see if it disappears,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Try jumpering the inputs and see if it disappears,

When you said jumpering the inputs, are you saying shorting the two inputs together ?,
    left input connected to right input

No. Tip to ground on each channel's inputs.

Some people use this scenario on unused preamp inputs to minimize any noise from the unused input. In the case of a power amplifier, it's more of an excecise in mental masturbation since power amps only have one input.

I would try it connected to the output of a preamp level device, which would be more of a real world situation. I have a 214 and have no hum problems but it's connected to a 1600 tuner/preamp.

Forum Regular
    Some people use this scenario on unused preamp inputs to minimize any noise from the unused input. In the case of a power amplifier, it's more of an excecise in mental masturbation since power amps only have one input.

I would try it connected to the output of a preamp level device, which would be more of a real world situation. I have a 214 and have no hum problems but it's connected to a 1600 tuner/preamp.

The humming comes from the amp only, just the amp and the speaker wires are connected, nothing else is connected to the amp, and when preamp is connected to the amp the humming gets worse.

could be an amp problem.

Hoiw loud is this hum? Can you hear it from more than a few feet away? Could it have always been there and you simply never noticed before?

Some hum is normal but it shouldn't be noticable unlessyou get right up to the speaker.

Is this a new problem? Then something changed in the system.

Any new powered equipment in the loop? Didja rewire anything recently? Didja change any connections to the wall sockets? If so, then this may be a grounding problem. Play

Is it in the same location it always was? No new equipment added? Same power sockets? If the answers to this last paragraph are yes, no and yes then there may be a problem with the amp

Forum Regular
    Hoiw loud is this hum? Can you hear it from more than a few feet away? Could it have always been there and you simply never noticed before?

Some hum is normal but it shouldn't be noticable unlessyou get right up to the speaker.

Is this a new problem? Then something changed in the system.

Any new powered equipment in the loop? Didja rewire anything recently? Didja change any connections to the wall sockets? If so, then this may be a grounding problem. Play

Is it in the same location it always was? No new equipment added? Same power sockets? If the answers to this last paragraph are yes, no and yes then there may be a problem with the amp
    No , you can't hear it very easy, only when you put your ear on the woofer, you can hear some humming, no never noticed before, I did now because I was checking for noise very close to the speaker, and someone told me that I shouldn't have any humming, which I don't know how true is it, I'm aware some amps can make a hiss noise when on, but for such good amp like the NAD 208 it is hard to understand if a humming noise, like when you put your ear on top of some electronics that have a transformer inside, transformer do make humming that's normal, but is it possible to hear the same transformer noise going out to the speakers on a hi end amp, or caps are getting old????

You can thank yer buddy for giving you a bad case of audio nervosa

Since you have to get right up non top of the speaker, odds are it was always there.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just like a little hiss, a minimal amount of hum is normal, particularly in a speaker with a healthy bottom end.

Remember, in this hobby if you go looking for trouble you'll probably find it

Thread Information