Forum Regular

Receiver or Preamp

Denon 3805 or an Outlaw 970, both are about the same price and i'm not sure what would be the better choice.

Suspended
    My question is, if you go with the Outlaw do you have power amps? The receiver has built in power for your speakers and the preamp wouldn't. I'm not familiar with Outlaw but if you already have amps you should get better performance by using a preamp. That's assuming Outlaw is a reputable company and the extra expense went into performance.

Forum Regular
    I'm using an ATI2505 amp so if I get a receiver it will just be for the preamp outs.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleSuperVee
    I'm using an ATI2505 amp so if I get a receiver it will just be for the preamp outs.
    Then I'd go with the Outlaw or this Adcom.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sku=ADCBGTP860

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

long term short term?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Then I'd go with the Outlaw or this Adcom.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sku=ADCBGTP860

Since the mid 80's I was a receiver buff that used to buy a new yamaha receiver every 4-5 yrs. A month ago I decide to buy a used adcom 555 amp (20 yrs old) and a myryad pre amp ( $500 total). I must say that my yamaha v701 receiver was basically hiding all the sound. The component system is amazing in comparison to the yamaha. It is much clearer and detailed. Personally, it is a new experience to listen to old cd's and realize that there were so many sounds that were never revealed by theyamaha receiver.

So if you want a simple quick solution that would be comparable to a mid priced component system, I would say go with a high end receiver ( about 700-$1000--NAD-OUTLAW-ARCAM). But if you want to indulge into a new hobby by auditioning products from your local stereo shop(switching out rca cords, speaker wires, ) then I would recommend a component system.
    as for outlaw products, they seem to be a favorite among many members of this site and also an excellent value.
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bipper
    Since the mid 80's I was a receiver buff that used to buy a new yamaha receiver every 4-5 yrs. A month ago I decide to buy a used adcom 555 amp (20 yrs old) and a myryad pre amp ( $500 total). I must say that my yamaha v701 receiver was basically hiding all the sound. The component system is amazing in comparison to the yamaha. It is much clearer and detailed. Personally, it is a new experience to listen to old cd's and realize that there were so many sounds that were never revealed by theyamaha receiver.

So if you want a simple quick solution that would be comparable to a mid priced component system, I would say go with a high end receiver ( about 700-$1000--NAD-OUTLAW-ARCAM). But if you want to indulge into a new hobby by auditioning products from your local stereo shop(switching out rca cords, speaker wires, ) then I would recommend a component system.
    as for outlaw products, they seem to be a favorite among many members of this site and also an excellent value.
    good luck.
    Separates are definitely on my wish list for my next system. Once I have a good set of amps I can just upgrade processors as new technology comes out. For now, my speakers really couldn't take much more than the amp my receiver has in it now. Thinking about amps for zones 2 & 3 for now. Then sometime in the future I'll switch the receiver out to those 2ndary rooms and move the amps into the main room with my first processor to be.

Gotta have a plan right?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

plan

plan? yes

I bought a house 5 years ago , since then I have set up 4 stereo systems throughout my house, which includes receiver, speakers cd player. I do understand your argument rgd amping each room and building up on each room but from personal experience your will always want to invest in the best room (source) . Eg I will always go to my basement to listen to music, before I would listen to music upstairs while spending time with my children/wife. Now the basement has become the new domain.

Although I could spend $500 to get better speakers for the master bedroom stereo, I now am more inclined to sell my SONY ES CD player for 300-400 and use the $500 to buy a Music Fidelity CD player. Why, because if I upgrade the cd player and had zones like you do, the sound of music would get better in all the rooms

True, but right now I'd be multi-zoning with an entry to mid-level receiver. I'm thinking a separate processor would have a better sound. But that's a ways off. Things could change by the time comes to upgrade.

I just like to plan ahead. Keeps me smiling about all the great equipment I will have. Till then, my Yammie will do fine.

Forum Regular
    bipper, I just replaced all my rcas with some (I know everyone on this site hates em)Monster Cable Z-200, the speaker wire went up to a Monster Z-4 and I also added the Monster Sig. Series AVS2000 voltage regulator and Sig. Series HTPS7000 line conditioner/surge protector.
    I just need to make up my mind on what to do about a pre-amp now.

Forum Regular

preamp

cannondale

Rgd preamp, I got my adcom 555 about a month ago and was very happy with the price.

I connected it to my cd player (has a adjustable line out) and was amazed at the sound.

Because I blindly bought a the adcom 555 I was shocked to find out the prices on preamps. After spending about 10hrs on this site and other sites doing research as to what the best value solution would be, I decided to go with a solid state preamp. My budget was $200. I reviewed ebay every day and and audiogon every day for one week and was either not satisfied with the products in terms of value or the "good" products were $600+. So I called a few stereo shops and explained to them that I need a preamp. One stereo shop realize that i was a "newbie"and wanted to help me develop my new found hobby.

Long story short---a lot of stereo shops have old equipment laying around that never sold or was "excess inventory" or even promotional items. I got a new myryad preamp (english amp(retail $1200)) for $200.

So I recommend calling your local stereo shop.

On a side note, also develop a relationship with your stereo shop so that they will lend you equipment for 1-2 weeks. Dont just walk in the door, call them to get a feel of what they have,want, can offer.
    good luck

Common sense if you buy a used product for $400 today you will be able to sell it after 2-3 years for $300-$350 (inflation helps)

golden ear
    i have a pre-existing receiver and just recently, i hooked up a stereo power amp coming from the receiver's pre-out. how would this be different if i make use of a dedicated pre-amp instead of a receiver acting as the pre-amp? would a dedicated pre-amp give me better sound than a receiver acting only as the pre-amp?

Forum Regular
    I ended up getting a Sunfire Theater Grand II off ebay for a great price and the difference between the pre-amp and receiver is night a day, the Sunfire makes it sound like before you had blankets on the speakers and now there gone, it opened up the sound stage, and everything just seems more clear.

Suspended
    Generally speaking when you upgrade to a separate preamp you will gain better sound quality. How much improvement you notice will depend on what preamp you go to and what receiver you come from and your related equipment.

For instance, if you have a mass market receiver like Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc. you will notice a larger difference than if you had an Arcam or higher end receiver. If you upgrade to separates and run Polk or Bose you may not notice the improvement as much as if you were running Paradigm, Dynaudio, B&W etc. But we most have to upgrade in steps.

Upgrading your preamp is as significant as upgrading your CD player or any other link in the chain.

What I was saying before is that your system should be somewhat balanced in component capability but I follow the philosophy that it is better to have the most capable components up stream opposed to the end of the chain. No component that you add down the chain can improve on what isn't there in the first place.

Logically and economically you cannot stuff a preamp and 5 to 7 channels of amplification in one box, sell it for a fraction of the price of separates and expect it to perform the same.

A better preamp will give you better imaging, clarity, frequency response and actually improved steering of sound effects.

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Generally speaking when you upgrade to a separate preamp you will gain better sound quality. How much improvement you notice will depend on what preamp you go to and what receiver you come from and your related equipment.

For instance, if you have a mass market receiver like Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon etc. you will notice a larger difference than if you had an Arcam or higher end receiver. If you upgrade to separates and run Polk or Bose you may not notice the improvement as much as if you were running Paradigm, Dynaudio, B&W etc. But we most have to upgrade in steps.

Upgrading your preamp is as significant as upgrading your CD player or any other link in the chain.

What I was saying before is that your system should be somewhat balanced in component capability but I follow the philosophy that it is better to have the most capable components up stream opposed to the end of the chain. No component that you add down the chain can improve on what isn't there in the first place.

Logically and economically you cannot stuff a preamp and 5 to 7 channels of amplification in one box, sell it for a fraction of the price of separates and expect it to perform the same.

A better preamp will give you better imaging, clarity, frequency response and actually improved steering of sound effects.
    very well said mr. peabody. im convinced i should be buying a separate preamp if the time comes that i am not anymore satisfied with the sonic performance of my set up. meantime, i still have to save the bucks and enjoy the music..thanks!

Thread Information