Thread: ZTT remasters

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

ZTT remasters

I recently picked up the new Art of Noise CD/DVD re-release of Into Battle. I must say, it might be compression, but this is one fine sounding disk. Everything is right up front, immaculate and yet smooth. Frequency extension is to die for. As I recently read in a review of audio equipment, this is a really odd time for CD to be coming into its heyday. It was originally an EP, and most of it was released on 'daft', so it's not recommended unless you want to hear really strange music based on samplers sound really really good, or for Art of Noise compleatists. "Moments in Love" sounds particularly divine.

The DVD is nothing special -- just a straight-up portrayal of the videos -- "Beatbox" x 2 (one of which is called "Close to the Edit"), "Moments in Love" (turtles, ice-skaters, and bad actors with headaches), and some feeble attempt at hip-hop legitimacy called "Metaforce". Surround mixes and stereo mixes are available. Unless I have something set up wrong in my surround system (I don't think so), the surround mixes are not of the wacky "whizz things around the room" variety (surprisingly!). There's a selected discography section, but it only contains three items (!).

Question, though, for those of you who remember -- was the bass guitar sample there in the original? It may be my failing memory, but I remember the version on the vinyl EP being much less tonal (I.E. percussive) than what I'm hearing here. I'm wondering if they included Diversion One rather than the original Into Battle mix. Will have to do an A/B comparison, but I'm not sure where my copy of either Into Battle on vinyl or 'daft' on CD is...are...

Will probably pick up Propaganda (A Secret Wish received the same treatment), as well.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Will probably pick up Propaganda (A Secret Wish received the same treatment), as well.
    I have no idea at all what you're talking about! Please don't try to explain, it's just me. (for example, what on earth is ZTT? a label, band, album, really bad facial blemish?)

I did latch on to that Propaganda reissue though! I'm going to search through my regular channels and see if I can't just order this sucker. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
    a bewildered jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    ZTT==Zang Tumb Tum (did you mean zang tumb tuum? Yes, I did), home label of Art of Noise (you remember them, they did that version of the Peter Gunn theme with Max Headroom, and of Prince's "Kiss" with Tom Jones, plus the theme to Dragnet...anyway, "Beatbox"/"Close To The Edit" was their big/only hit for the longest time), Propaganda, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Seal, 808 State, and other Trevor Horn-produced 80's-and-later icons.

This is a really good homepage...if you're interested in their cover artwork. Which most people aren't. But I thoroughly enjoyed.

This singlette is number seventy seven in the Incidental Series. Are you there? Fans are now beginning to ask the Incidental Series for its autograph. It says thankyou, if you're there.

Although this cassette contains the same catalog number as the first incident -- the 12" record Into Battle -- this is actually number ten in Zang Tumb Tuum's red, white, and blue incidental series.

I remember lots of parentheses.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 01-08-2004 at 05:23 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I had a 4 song promo ep years ago when I worked in a record store by Propaganda.

It was one of those cool 10" records.

I had about 4 or 5 like that from that era.

All gone now.

Oh well!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    ZTT==Zang Tumb Tum (did you mean zang tumb tuum? Yes, I did), home label of Art of Noise (you remember them, they did that version of the Peter Gunn theme with Max Headroom, and of Prince's "Kiss" with Tom Jones, plus the theme to Dragnet...anyway, "Beatbox"/"Close To The Edit" was their big/only hit for the longest time), Propaganda, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Seal, 808 State, and other Trevor Horn-produced 80's-and-later icons.

I remember lots of parentheses.
    Ahh, I see, a label. So my first guess was my best guess. A lesson from SAT prep courses that I never did fully appreciate. I am of course familiar with the bands but I've never paid too much attention to a label, especially back then.

I've been meaning to look up some more 808 State as well. Perhaps my dilly dallying is going to pay off.

Thanks for the reply,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

AR Newbie Registered Member

It's not your imagination...

Your instincts are correct. They did include "Beatbox Diversion 1" instead of the original... same as they did on "Daft". I believe the only time the vinyl version from "Into Battle" has appeared on CD was as part of an '80s hits' collection from some other label. It really makes no sense at all...

Drew

Thread Information