Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

YouTube Provocation Thread Vol. 1

Warning: The following is neither work friendly or family friendly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmzOtYHC1k

Discuss

Well, this is certainly one expression of why I don't really like rap music. Black rappers truly believe that just about every white person is evil. Also, the guy testifying in the video looks like Omar Epps.

I don't see how anybody can make their money and still be totally miserable. Ask Michael Vick about his gangsta lifestyle, especially his gangsta homies. They sang like birds when the fire was put to them about who was funding the dog fighting. No honor among gangstas. Now Vick's life is ruined. The gangsta ethos has no redeeming value whatsoever. If the cops ain't busting them left and right, they're killing each other. Its not a culture, its an epidemic.

Reminds me of the Jim Cary movie 'Liar Liar', when he couldn't tell a lie, and he plays a lawyer who represents some shady characters. One of his shady clients calls up and says he's in jail and wants some advise, and Cary takes the phone and yells into it, "Stop breakin the law a**hole!"

Lifestyle...

I am constantly amazed at the fake lifestyle that these 'gangsta's' throw into the youths face about how glamourous this lifestyle is, but it's all empty and full of lies, interesting though how most of them are rapping about the lies that they are told, meanwhile they are doing nothing but parading their feelings around about everything that's unfair in life, meanwhile they are living the charade.

I don't get it.

That video is amazingly racist and insulting. It wallows in degradation, dragging an entire culture into a hole. It only exacerbates and perpetuates the problem.

It's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Well, this is certainly one expression of why I don't really like rap music
    not all of them hate white people. It's just most of the really popular rappers (who like to call themselves 'gangsta's' and make lot's of money) make songs like those, telling how much they hate everyone else. But there is different rap too, and it can be really good, and have 'messages' in the texts..

these are 2 artists I really like, and they're both 'rappers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgd4d-lswG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsihHoyqwWY

the video Bobstick posted however is just sad.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Ok basite, I'll give you that these are much more palatable. I liked the Mos Def much more than the skater tune.

But they both suffer from the same old problem I've had with rap/hip hop since day one- it's musically vacant. This repetitive, sampled, one-groove sound just isn't satisfying for me. It's boring. Where's the changes? Where's the bridge?

And another thing I have a problem with is the vocal delivery. The too-fast, clipped and monotonous rapper vocal style is so affected and snotty sounding. All this pretend bad-ass posturing is just as hokey as some screeching hair-band singer.

Rap is about fashion, style and attitude. It's not about musicality.

>Where's the changes? Where's the bridge?

Here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAfrhmIvZ_s

Sadly, the number of examples I could throw out to challenge that has not increased. I'm still big on the rap I listened to in the past, but, with rare exceptions, it's been quite dead for 15 years already.

I will say, though, when you apply an anti-rap towards all of it, we part ways. Some of the stuff that's been done is, in my estimation, quite artful, and musical as well. We've been down this road before. There are more than a few who play instruments. That said, I'd rather have a good rapper who doesn't & whose beats are repetitive but still good than a weak one who has some musical cred because they know how to play an instrument.

I don't like others.

The rapification of Troy, I loves it.

That Pharcyde track is the most enjoyable so far and yeah, hey look, a bridge! In a minor key no less.

But I tell ya, there's the other subject which you failed to mention: that jerky, singing style is just awful. It's so forced, like they're trying to shoehorn 25 syllables into a space fit for only 10.

But yeah, I could listen to this at a party without having to leave the room, but I'd never in a million years buy it or choose to play it.

Well, then, you're not a fan of Subterranean Homesick Blues either, now, are you?

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Well, then, you're not a fan of Subterranean Homesick Blues either, now, are you?
    Yep, it's a mess.

Well, this is certainly one expression of why I don't really like rap music. Black rappers truly believe that just about every white person is evil. Also, the guy testifying in the video looks like Omar Epps.

Is that what the video is saying? Recognizing that in the south the euphemisms are directed more towards law enforcement, I suspect there is a broader social statement at work. Frankly, I found it to be the most relevent and revolutionary thing to come out of the gangsta genre since http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFl4h_6ZsQM

Suspended
    I like peanut butter on crackers...

I can't add much more to what 3LB, PS and Troy have already said, and the food reference is to indicate the amount of credibility I'm willing to acknowledge to rap music in general. He's doing nothing more than perpetuating a stereotype.

I don't like most rap, though, there are examples of it I do find entertaining. The rap section in Gorillaz's Feel Good is actually quite catchy, rythmic and isn't a distraction from the rest of the song like other rap sections in other pop music I've heard. I can count on one hand the number of full-on rap songs I know or would choose to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Frankly, I found it to be the most relevent and revolutionary thing to come out of the gangsta genre since http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFl4h_6ZsQM
    I found it to be a total waste of time and nothing new. He's an angry clown whereas Ice T was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    It's so forced, like they're trying to shoehorn 25 syllables into a space fit for only 10.
    Rappers are the lead guitarists of their genre. Lead guitarists play "too much", rappers rap "too fast"...who makes these rules anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Where's the changes? Where's the bridge?
    You tell me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Meanwhile...A Tribe Called Quest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qapou-3-fM8
    Last edited by BradH; 09-18-2007 at 04:51 AM.

Given that the state of modern hip-hop I don't think that "relevant and revolutionary" is the compliment that some of you seem to think. Angry clown? History may well prove that depending on the rest of his work, but this particlar piece is at least topical.

...And the choice of words that illicited so much anger in y'all is no doubt purposeful and representative of the extent to which one must go in a shocking society. Desirable in that it mirrors the severity with which some regard the situation.

I also agree with 3LB. That's not what this song is about.

I am constantly amazed at the fake lifestyle that these 'gangsta's' throw into the youths face about how glamourous this lifestyle is, but it's all empty and full of lies, interesting though how most of them are rapping about the lies that they are told, meanwhile they are doing nothing but parading their feelings around about everything that's unfair in life, meanwhile they are living the charade.
    Even this is a point that I agree with. Surely you can see the difference between "100 Years" and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OUzAoW-2U

I'm not arguing that much if not most of what comes out as modern urban music is style above (any) substance. My point is that "100 Years" is commentary albeit using language that alienates some of you. Has anybody listened to the lyrics in this? It's an anti-establishment rally against the inequities of the modern legal system. It's a viable form of protest. Anyone wanna explain why the penalties for crack cocaine are significantly harsher than for powder?

Suspended
    Even this is a point that I agree with. Surely you can see the difference between "100 Years" and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OUzAoW-2U

I'm not arguing that much if not most of what comes out as modern urban music is style above (any) substance. My point is that "100 Years" is commentary albeit using language that alienates some of you. Has anybody listened to the lyrics in this? It's an anti-establishment rally against the inequities of the modern legal system. It's a viable form of protest. Anyone wanna explain why the penalties for crack cocaine are significantly harsher than for powder?
    And by default... why are the penalties for poorer people harsher than for the upper class. That's what you're really asking. And to take it a step further, you're playing the race card.

Doesn't matter. He looses his credibility when he plugs in all the fowl language. Rules of society dictate that you present your views and opinions in a civilized manner if you want to be heard, which that "song" DOES NOT do.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I thought the song was a somewhat effective commentary on the lack of progress society has accepted - the repetitive melody, over and over and over again, was a metaphor for the same predictable outcome, the victims caught in a cycle they can't get out of. We all know the story, we all know the ending, but we sit back and listen to the whole song anyway. It's even more effective being the 1000th song on the subject.

This is everyone else's problem but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    And by default... why are the penalties for poorer people harsher than for the upper class. That's what you're really asking. And to take it a step further, you're playing the race card.

Doesn't matter. He looses his credibility when he plugs in all the fowl language. Rules of society dictate that you present your views and opinions in a civilized manner if you want to be heard, which that "song" DOES NOT do.
    Whose society? And evidently the race card doesn't matter when you're messing with the monied elite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OUzAoW-2U . Notice what color this guy is and the question that brings about such harsh retribution.

My point is that "100 Years" is commentary albeit using language that alienates some of you. Has anybody listened to the lyrics in this? It's an anti-establishment rally against the inequities of the modern legal system. It's a viable form of protest. Anyone wanna explain why the penalties for crack cocaine are significantly harsher than for powder?
    Listened to the lyrics? I can't even understand what the guy's saying! The language doesn't offend me, it's the diction and cadence that makes my skin crawl.

I've never been a fan of protest music in the first place. I listen to music to be pleased, amused and thrilled, not to be whined at or preached to. If I want to be reminded of this stuff I'll just pay attention to the news. i don't need to be assaulted by it in my entertainment.

As an artist, don't you dare tell me how I'm supposed to feel. The best art should induce you into thinking without actually being told to. I like art that is more open to interpretation.

You have a complaint about crack bringing a longer sentence than powder? How about you don't do either and then you don't have to worry about stiffer sentences.

>As an artist, don't you dare tell me how I'm supposed to feel.

You say that like it's a G thang.

I don't like others.

Suspended
    Whose society? And evidently the race card doesn't matter when you're messing with the monied elite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OUzAoW-2U . Notice what color this guy is and the question that brings about such harsh retribution.
    I'm going to hack into your computer and erase your YouTube bookmark pal!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    >
    Sadly, the number of examples I could throw out to challenge that has not increased.
    Dude Remember this? I still spin it once in a while.

Hip Hop For Hyfi

1. Boogie Down Productions – Stop The Violence
    2. G. Love & Special Sauce – I76
    3. Arrested Development – Tennessee
    4. Ice Cube- Us
    5. Beasty Boys – Sure Shot
    6. The Pharcyde – Otha Fish
    7. The Parcyde – Passin` Me By
    8. Sublime – Doin` Time
    9. Public Enemy – By The Time I Get To Arizona
    10. PM Dawn – Reality Used To Be A Friend Of mine
    11. PM Dawn – My Own Personal Gravity
    12. PM Dawn – The Puppet Show
    13. PM Dawn - Soncheynne

And being from Philly and being in these places, how can you not like this:

Katman
    65 25 parkline drive
    And like always I’m kicking it live
    Gotta call the fellas to see if they is with this
    Gonna get down with the sounds of big breakfast
    Start off the day with some bob marley
    Back to the woods for the fresh parlay
    Maybe even spark a little nicki j.
    Then it’s off to center city in the fastest way
    But if you’ve gotta get downtown real quick
    The only way to go is i-76
    Unless of course you wanna take the scenic view
    Then east or west river drive is right for you
    But if you ain’t got any time to lose
    Put the pedal to the metal for that voyage cruise
    So get on down to i-76
    Because in 1996 there ain’t no
    Tricks in the mix

G. love
    Back in 1982
    Man it was real cool
    And in school
    If we got good grades
    Our parents would take us to a 76ers game
    I got my game and there ain’t no shame
    Big shots for mo cheeks
    And moses malone
    Julius erving called philly his home
    Bobby jones, daryl dawkins
    Andrew toney sinking threes
    Rocky balboa comes from south philly
    So if you want to make it
    On time to the show

There’s only one route you have to know
    Get to fishtown avoid all that jive
    I suggest that you drive on i-95
    Wanna get downtown but feeling in a fix
    Get on the route they call 676
    The most expensive expansive
    Piece of interstate they ever made
    The fellas ain’t famous but
    They got good game
    Get along 76ers
    Charles barkley dissed larry bird
    Get along 76ers

Smiles
    Shh-hoops the middle man
    Now disguised as the joy
    Valentine smiles to the katman play
    Loungin’ leather seats 76 gettin’ nice
    Cadillac d.b.l. kristopher pulled the heist
    Expressway expression soda pop pressin’
    Up another piece baby new year painted session
    I’m guessin’ the answer to the question
    All the philly fellas livin’ life as a profession
    Destined to escape a la spector
    Ah wilderness yea prep jetta boy
    Friday night rap broncos and pepper shakers
    In the city ice dogs love show I the skyscraper
    The route it’s i-76
    I’m loungin’ otto shoup singin’ davey quickness
    Li li of the va li love a ligum everyday
    I’m givin’ praise from high hill juice to philly

Katman
    But if you’ve gotta get downtown real quick
    The only way to go is i-76

Unless of course you wanna take the scenic view
    Then east or west river drive is right for you
    But if you ain’t got any time to lose
    Put the pedal to the metal for that voyage cruise
    So get on down to i-76
    Because in 1996 there ain’t no
    Tricks in the mix

Get along 76ers
    Get along 76ers
    Dr. j! moses malone

Get along 76ers
    Jerry stackhouse and iverson

LOL, and the best part of Monday Night Football in Philly was Charles Barkley!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information