Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Ah, but you do...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    ...We don't get WQXR in this neck of the woods...
    ...If you are ever of a mind to:

http://www.wqxr.com

...just mouse over to "listen now" and they seem to have just about every delivery option you may need...

jimHJJ(...it's like you're right here in the Big Apple...of course that might not seem a good thing...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...If you are ever of a mind to:

http://www.wqxr.com

...just mouse over to "listen now" and they seem to have just about every delivery option you may need...

jimHJJ(...it's like you're right here in the Big Apple...of course that might not seem a good thing...)
    Thanks for the link. There's a lot of different programmes on the BBC--we listen to a lot of the drama on Radio 7. Here's the link to Radio 3, and one can easily navigate through the rest of the site from there:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    anyhoo...
    Back On Thread:

Early 70s - Mom's music. I dug through the albums and found 5th Dimension and the Guess Who. Everything else in her collection prettty much sucked ... Played a lot of the Beach Boys 'Endless Summer' on the CloseNPlay. Hey! i was just a punk kid.

Late 70s - Older sister's music. She dug Bowie, Rascals, and (Bleah! Partridge Family, BayCity Rollers, etc...) and was starting to get into Aerosmith. We did play 'Chicago' in middle school band - my first real trumpet music that made me look forward to school. The trombone players felt the same way.

Early 80s My first real non-gift bicycled to the store for the express purpose of purchasing (on recommendation from 'sis) Rush 'Hemispheres' (on 8track!) and 'Moving Pictures'. WoW - This rocks! Rush was my first concert too. Now i'm getting in to Yes and the Who, Led Zeppelin, Boston, etc. The Awakening (musically - so to speak)

I WIll Be a Bass Guitar Player!

Late 80's I still rock to the AC/DC, Judas Priest, etc.but new friends in the USAF turned me on to High End Audio (dumb airmen living in the dorms with nothing but disposable income and no bills!) and New Wave. The Smiths and the HouseMartins really did it for me. Many an evening was spent thrashing about like i was having a siezure listening to Scorpions. Now punk influences and the new metal (Metallica) compete for attention.

Early 90s Still trying to master Bass heroes like Geddy Lee and Chris Squire with some success now... I started listening to U2 and REM. I was still rocking the hair bands of the 80s, but going deeper - into the Beatles and some other truly insightful music like Frank Zappa as well.

Late 90s Guitar heroes like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson prevail. But now, through other friends i listen more and more to contemporary Christian (which is way more about lyrics than music). Chris Rice and Third Day become my new favorites.

Present Age I think the Racontours (sp?), Queens Of The Stone Age, and Jack White are brilliant and different. I now like NickleCreek and Dawg Music since my wife is taking up mandolin.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Nobody, I'm digging this thread and it's interesting responses. I've always been pretty much all over the board, like most of the folks here. Stone's path no doubt most closely resembles my own, which is kind of freaky.

60's: lots of little kids records especially those featuring songs and characters from the cartoons I watched. Popeye, Ruff & Ready, things along that line. I do recall really really liking Charlie Brown by the Coasters.

70's: KISS and the same album Stone brought up Rock And Roll Over. That was the third grade and to be honest I seriously doubt I spent much time listening to anything other than KISS until the 7'th grade. Some Styx was in there but it wasn't the same. Eventually I discovered I Robot by AP Project and really dug it, but it still wasn't KISS. All that begat Ted Nugent, the first 2 VH records, and some lesser imitators. Tried the Stones, Led Zep, and even Grateful Dead. Nothing ever really took, at least to the same magnitude.

80's: Soft Cell- Non Stop Erotic Caberet. Mighty big leap from Van Halen to Soft Cell but I was ready for a serious change and feel music was in a terrible rut. Soft Cell led to Devo and Depeche Mode which led to the whole punk/new wave thing including stuff like the Ramones, Wall Of Voodoo, and basically all of the 80's MTV weirdness that was sweeping the country or at least college campuses. I still love all that stuff. I can listen to A Flock Of Seagulls a whole lot better than Van Halen.

90's: Been out of college for a while now and am married, working and have kids in tow. Early 90's are the years I'm most out of touch. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine is probably the most significant listen. The overall theme is probably "alternative" and the more alternative the better although even by the early 90's the term "alternative" was being seriously clouded. What I meant by it was that I was digging stuff you (the general public) didn't know about and/or didn't like. Nothing to esoteric but definetly out of the mainstream. Spent the last half of the 90's here which hugely broadened my horizons. A lot of the best spent time was catching up on stuff I missed, and there was a lot not the least of which was Joy Division.

00's: The whole indie thing caught on with me and perhaps the album that best represents that would be Neon Golden by Notwist. 90% of my buying is now "indified".

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Better late than never...

1960s - The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations - I was born in 1958, so my musical tastes weren't developed until the late 60s, about the time this was released. Yes, I did like the Beatles, but this was an "American" band, and I still love that California surf/pop sound.

1970s - The Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East - to this day, I can't think of a live recording that gets me as fired up as Statesboro Blues

1980s - XTC - Skylarking - as a young dad without a lot of $ to spend on music and stereo equipment, this album is the most memorable of that decade, and remains my favorite from this band.

1990s - Luna - Pup Tent - while it was hard to choose just one Luna record, since they were one of my favorite bands of the 90s, along with Pavement, the song "Tracy I Love You" continues to swirl around in my head and is exactly the type of great pop music that I seek at this point in my life, and have found in many of my favorite new bands

2000s - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow - I chose this more as representative of my current taste as opposed to being my absolute favorite. Wilco could easily be inserted here, along with several others, but I felt this one was the best choice.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Everything is music to my ears so.........

1979 - Sound of mom baitching while pushing me out.

1980's -Sound of mom biatching at me

1990's Sound of me biatching at mom

2000's - Missing mom.

where is dad? working so we all can biatch

......and BIATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Thanks for the link. There's a lot of different programmes on the BBC--we listen to a lot of the drama on Radio 7. Here's the link to Radio 3, and one can easily navigate through the rest of the site from there:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/

I tend to listen to BBC radio one from time to time, when there's nothing good on our radio station(s) (I mostly listen to Studio Brussel, which you all don't know, but the heck with it)
    their daytime doesn't catch my attention too much, but their evening programmes

only thing is that I have to listen to the bbc radio over the internet, and for some unknown reason, the quality always drops to 30-40-ish kbps, (which sucks)

Actually, Is there a way of receiving the BBC radio stations on a normal radio/tuner???

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    Early 80s My first real non-gift bicycled to the store for the express purpose of purchasing (on recommendation from 'sis) Rush 'Hemispheres' (on 8track!) and 'Moving Pictures'. WoW - This rocks! Rush was my first concert too. Now i'm getting in to Yes and the Who, Led Zeppelin, Boston, etc. The Awakening (musically - so to speak)

I WIll Be a Bass Guitar Player!

Late 80's I still rock to the AC/DC, Judas Priest, etc.but new friends in the USAF turned me on to High End Audio (dumb airmen living in the dorms with nothing but disposable income and no bills!) and New Wave. The Smiths and the HouseMartins really did it for me. Many an evening was spent thrashing about like i was having a siezure listening to Scorpions. Now punk influences and the new metal (Metallica) compete for attention.
    I found a lot of people I knew "crossed over" in the late 80's from bands like the Scorpions, Maiden and Priest to REM, The Smiths and New Order (people my age, in their late 30s now). I really think most metal got very tired by the end of the 80's... the only bands doing anything original were the underground trash bands.. so discovering all the other great music from the 80's was kind of natural I think.. I think the creativity in metal came back through the 90's and now today we have awesome bands like QOTSA and Mastodon. I still love my old metal albums, and I still love my 80's alternative stuff too. I used to think you couldn't be both a metal head and a new waver, or even also a punk rocker, but then I realized it was about the music and not the fashion or the scene..

.. btw, I heard "Xanidu" by Rush a few days ago on XM ("The Bone Yard") radio and was surprised at how I forgot how much I used to like Rush..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Isn't it interesting how we like to mock people who 'cross over' yet we also mock people who are stuck in a certain period of music. Where is the happy medium?

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Isn't it interesting how we like to mock people who 'cross over' yet we also mock people who are stuck in a certain period of music. Where is the happy medium?
    I don't think Jar was mocking you in the slightest. I think (although he can certainly speak for himself) he was providing an explanation of why many crossed over from the metal/hard rock of the early 80s to other genres later in the decade. I made a cross over too, but mainly it was due to age and the discovery of punk and alternative in the mid-80s.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Where is the happy medium?
    I'm happy. And medium. And mocking. All at the same time. I'm just happy mocking people in their mediocrity. Very happy.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information