Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, you only get one pick for 2008

OK, I need to head to the record shop and get something a bti new. Been getting into a bit of a rut with listening to older stuff lately. I need suggestions, but I'm not going to be buying 20 things. So, I need you to tell me the one very top release for you so far in 2008. The one album you've bought from this year that if you had to get rid of all your new ones but a single album, the one you would keep. And, why would I, or anyone else, like it?

Well....

ok.....I play, but can't do just one. I do two and let you decide.
    Up to this Monday it was Shearwater's Rook that sat pretty on the top of this years purchases. Then the new Sigur Ros arrived. They are different from each other, but both somehow very rootsy and therefore closer then you might think.
    The Sigur Ros is somewhat more playful then there last offerings, but still beautiful Icelandic tunage.
    I am very taken with the Shearwater. Somehow I feel it is one of the best records I have heard in years. It's grand, melodic and leaves you wanting for more. So a tough one. I would declare the Shearwater and sneek out the Sigur Ros with me.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

The new Bret Michaels.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Already got that.

Not sure which one you already got, but I'm gonna be jumping on the Shearwater wagon with Bernd, though it may not be a sound you'd go heavy for, nobody. Won't hear anything better or more adventurous this year. Beautiful record. Important music. Sadly, don't get a chance to say that often enough anymore.

Obviously influenced by that genre defining moment in the late 80s when Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene and the rest of Talk Talk holed up in an abandoned church with an assortment of musicians, often recording in the dark, crafting a mix of ambient jazz and modern classicism that became one of the most beautiful records ever in "Spirit of Eden", probably the beginnings of what later became known as post-rock.

But this record is more dynamic overall, gentle at times, but loud and forceful at others. Not the typical formula, but whatever is right for the music. Songs like "The Snow Leopard" really do change the status of Shearwater in my mind, making Jonathan Meiberg one of the top musical visionaries today. There's the bits of Jeff Buckley, and even Scott Walker when he isn't so madly cryptic and overblown, some David Bowie at times, but this does seem pretty special, especially in today's play-it-safe pop music climate. I do love "Palo Santo", but this one goes way beyond my expectations. Sometimes you get the feel an artist has been working their whole career for that one defining record, and I think it all came together this time for Meiburg, the inspired lyrical imagery coupled with his allegorical music vision, can't imagine right now that it won't easily be my record of the year. Even harkens back to the progressive folk of Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" (absent the often annoying flute), or bits of "Aqualung", but channeled through that later "Spirit of Eden" to strip away the excess. His voice is the best it has ever been, recorded without most of the needless reverb this time, it floats on the wind, and then soars effortlessly, like the majestic birds that live in so much of his music. Just 35 minutes, but a beautiful record. And speaking of record, the CD sounds pretty good even if a touch loud, but someone in another board mentioned the "fabulous sounding, dead-quiet Matador/RTI vinyl."

That's my story, though reading it now ... well, it seems a little overblown. Probably should've stopped at the first paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Not sure which one you already got, but I'm gonna be jumping on the Shearwater wagon with Bernd, though it may not be a sound you'd go heavy for, nobody. Won't hear anything better or more adventurous this year. Beautiful record. Important music. Sadly, don't get a chance to say that often enough anymore.

Obviously influenced by that genre defining moment in the late 80s when Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene and the rest of Talk Talk holed up in an abandoned church with an assortment of musicians, often recording in the dark, crafting a mix of ambient jazz and modern classicism that became one of the most beautiful records ever in "Spirit of Eden", probably the beginnings of what later became known as post-rock.

But this record is more dynamic overall, gentle at times, but loud and forceful at others. Not the typical formula, but whatever is right for the music. Songs like "The Snow Leopard" really do change the status of Shearwater in my mind, making Jonathan Meiberg one of the top musical visionaries today. There's the bits of Jeff Buckley, and even Scott Walker when he isn't so madly cryptic and overblown, some David Bowie at times, but this does seem pretty special, especially in today's play-it-safe pop music climate. I do love "Palo Santo", but this one goes way beyond my expectations. Sometimes you get the feel an artist has been working their whole career for that one defining record, and I think it all came together this time for Meiburg, the inspired lyrical imagery coupled with his allegorical music vision, can't imagine right now that it won't easily be my record of the year. Even harkens back to the progressive folk of Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" (absent the often annoying flute), or bits of "Aqualung", but channeled through that later "Spirit of Eden" to strip away the excess. His voice is the best it has ever been, recorded without most of the needless reverb this time, it floats on the wind, and then soars effortlessly, like the majestic birds that live in so much of his music. Just 35 minutes, but a beautiful record. And speaking of record, the CD sounds pretty good even if a touch loud, but someone in another board mentioned the "fabulous sounding, dead-quiet Matador/RTI vinyl."

That's my story, though reading it now ... well, it seems a little overblown. Probably should've stopped at the first paragraph
    No, No, No.....thats perfect and nailed it.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular
    If you forced me to keep just one of the 2008 releases, it would be OPETH.

would be tough to get rid of Mudcrutch, Steve Winwood, and the Robin Trower/Jack Bruce discs though.

42 Regular
    Honestly? At this point, I'd have to say the new REM. It rocks. Seriously.

But I'll have to check out this Shearwater...I'm intrigued.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I don't have this Shearwater album that everyone seems so high on, but I am Really enjoying - (wait...you better sit down, this could come as a HUGE shocker) - the new Wire album - Object 47, package that withRead & Burn 3 and you've got 50 or so minutes of choice (relatively) new Wire - and there's never anything wrong with that. Here's a link to the review at allmusic.com: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:knfpxz8jldhe
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I don't have this Shearwater album that everyone seems so high on...
    Yea, I guess if one person can be nobody, two people can be everyone, eh? Small board
    wait...you better sit down, this could come as a HUGE shocker)
    Yea again, that's kind of along the same wormhole as MidFi liking the latest R.E.M., pinch me cause I must be dreaming

New Wire, new Albini-recorded Wedding Present and Breeders, new Notwist, new Portishead, new Will Oldham, new Nick Cave, wow, lots of new stuff coming out from lots of cool bands that had kind of fallen off my radar in recent times.

42 Regular
    Yea, I guess if one person can be nobody, two people can be everyone, eh? Small board
    Yea again, that's kind of along the same wormhole as MidFi liking the latest R.E.M., pinch me cause I must be dreaming

New Wire, new Albini-recorded Wedding Present and Breeders, new Notwist, new Portishead, new Will Oldham, new Nick Cave, wow, lots of new stuff coming out from lots of cool bands that had kind of fallen off my radar in recent times.
    Yeah, yeah...I walked right into that one. But I can't help it. It rocks. Sue me.

Actually, I was going to ask you about that new Notwist, so thanks for reminding me. I know it's only 9 days old, but how you liking it?
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Hmmm, I'm looking at my 2008 stuff and nothing is jumping out at me as essential. Lots of goodness to be sure but no absolute must-haves IMO.

Kid Dakota
    R.E.M.
    Voyager One
    Sun Kil Moon
    Islands
    Wolf Parade
    The Black Keys
    Old 97s
    The Raconteurs
    Clinic
    Earlimart
    Melvins
    Black Mountain
    Cavalera Conspiracy
    James McMurtry
    Bonnie "Prince" Billy
    Mudcrutch
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Stephen Malkmus
    Shearwater
    Ladyhawk
    The Notwist
    Elbow
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Tapes n' Tapes

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Slosh; 06-26-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: sorry, I'm not into seamen matey boy
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Actually, I was going to ask you about that new Notwist, so thanks for reminding me. I know it's only 9 days old, but how you liking it?
    No can tell, I've only heard the single. The only one I listed that I have actually heard (besides Shearwater, of course) is Portishead, and really like it. Slosh and Sticks (sounds kinda like a gay pirate bar, huh?) have the Notwist.

But R.E.M., nothing wrong there, just meant that it's not surprising. Cool to have a band you [still] like so much for so long.

42 Regular
    Slosh and Sticks (sounds kinda like a gay pirate bar, huh?) have the Notwist.
    Arrrr! Shiver me timbers and blow me...down.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

But...I don't wanna be a pirate.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 06-26-2008 at 03:22 PM.

I would agree with Sloshy that this year has been good with greatness few and far between, although it's important to note that I haven't heard the Shearwater or Sigur Ros efforts. While I would remove a few our boy's list is pretty good...and I'd add :

Ray Davies
    Anna Ternheim
    THWhite
    Valient Thorr
    The Presets

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those...Davies throws out some great everyman rif***e that surpasses some of the latter day Kinks stuff IMO and The Presets got somma dat Wax Trax synth vibe.

Actually---and I wasn't gonna mention this 'cause it's being reserved for the upcoming "Comp of Things You've Never Heard", but for you...---if you're in an all-jangle-no-jingle-surfcaster-Chuck Berry meets Los Straightjackets' INS agent kinda mood I'll pull out a darkhorse and refer to this:

You of all peeps will likey...or you can just wait for it to come out o VHS if'n ya nahmean.

Oh yeah, Sloshy's "Sounds Good:2008" is outstanding too!

sticks

Why the fuck is "riffage" censored??

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Actually---and I wasn't gonna mention this 'cause it's being reserved for the upcoming "Comp of Things You've Never Heard", but for you...---if you're in an all-jangle-no-jingle-surfcaster-Chuck Berry meets Los Straightjackets' INS agent kinda mood I'll pull out a darkhorse and refer to this:

sticks
    Now we're talking. Thanks for the heads up.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'd go with the REM too. It's only 35 minutes, but there's not a bad minute in there.

Another slow year for much new music that has really slapped me silly. Until I got back from a month in Beijing yesterday, and this was waiting to be played:

Kicks ass. From my keyboard to your eyes, you read it here.

et
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze

Kicks ass. From my keyboard to your eyes, you read it here.
    I have The Boxing Mirror and Room Of Songs and think they're both kind of dull. On that note why should I pick up the new one?

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Ali Farka Toure: In the Heart of the Moon.

Beautiful music and your brain needs to something different and jarring.

It's like sipping straight tequila or vodka. Like your taste buds, which get tired and stale and could stand something inspired, your ears get in a rut.
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 11-06-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Yeah, lots of hype in Paste about The Boxing Mirror...

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I have The Boxing Mirror and Room Of Songs and think they're both kind of dull. On that note why should I pick up the new one?

NP:
    ...and I bought it before seeing him open for Lucinda last year, but I was completely underwhelmed. His show was decent, while hers kicked major tail, and when he joined her on stage playing electric, it was quite nice.

I was more intrigued by the story of his life in music, one that tells of multiple marriages, drugs and booze, major health problems...a total cluster actually. He's lucky to be alive actually. The stories about his early musical affiliations in the Southwest...Austin I believe was the main city...were also pretty cool, hanging out with the likes of Lucinda, Steve Earle, John Cale...

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Ali Farka Toure: In the Heart of the Moon.

Beautiful music and your brain needs to something different and jarring.

It's like sipping straight tequila or vodka. Like your taste buds, which get tired and stale and could stand something inspired, your ears get in a rut.
    I don't know if this would quite be up D's alley but it is a mighty good album...and I agree with your observation. The Africans have different patterns of playing so the same ionian-phrygian-pentatonic thang that can get kinda hackneyed over here gets a fresh face, as it were. I used a few tracks off this one on the much-maligned "Summer Comp 2007". Good stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information