Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rae

that year-end creep... what 2007 releases should I catch up on?

Okay, it's after Thanksgiving now, so we can start talking about year-end lists, right?

I have not been the voracious seeker of new music that I once was, but I probably checked out a little more this year than I did last year, largely due to my return to this board. The '07 releases that have gotten the most play in my little basement apartment have been Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me, Electrelane, Ted Leo, Jens Lekman, Talib Kweli, Vampire Hands, Gay Beast, Shellac, Dinosaur Jr, Loudon & Joe Henry's Knocked Up soundtrack... I'm sure there have been others that are escaping me.

Never checked out The National or Okkervil River, although I meant to. Also that new Blonde Redhead.

A few titles seemed to be consistently coming up on another board... anyone here heard any of these?

- Oxbow - The Narcotic Story
    - Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
    - Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules
    - Panda Bear - Person Pitch

I still have some time to catch up on whatever I missed. Looking forward to the new Skoal Kodiak LP but besides that I will probably buy a few more records this year, so suggest away!

~Rae

You absolutely need:

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
    Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog (A very pleasant surprise for me. Much more like In the Reins than Our Endless Numbered Days which is heading in a better direction in my book)
    Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests Of... (forget the alt-country J. Ritter of the past. This is a great rock record that pays tribute to 70s rock, and does it justice)

Future Of The Left, Les Savy Fav, Pinback, and Gruff Rhys are all very good as well but not essential IMO (at least not quite yet).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Rae
    Hmm, not much response to this thread. I stopped by the record store yesterday and ended up picking up Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules (which sounded good at first blush on the in-store listening station but not nearly as good when I got it home and played it at a reasonable volume) and Scout Niblett & Bonnie "Prince" Billy - This Fool Can Die Now (really good but it's my first exposure to Ms. Niblett so I can't say how it ranks with her other work). I also ended up getting The Stooges - Raw Power.

Thanks for yr suggestions, Slosh, I think I will check them out at that place where you can check things out.

~Rae

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Some of my faves from this year include:

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (this is soooo much better than their previous CD).

Rush - Snakes and Arrows. I'm not sure if you're a Rush fan Rae. If you are then you need this record...the best they've done in a long time. If you're not, then don't bother.

I also enjoy the latest Andrew Bird disk, but not as much as The Mysterious Production of Eggs.

Rae
    Sorry, I'm pretty much the antithesis of a Rush fan. No offense meant!

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Sorry, I'm pretty much the antithesis of a Rush fan. No offense meant!

~Rae
    No offence taken. I didn't think that it would be your thing, but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I'll toss out one that has been a real favorite this year. Don't know if you're listened to it or not. But, Tim Armstrong's A Poet's Life has been played a bunch by me. It's the guy from Rancid doing a solo reggae/ska album. I guess since I always thought of Rancid as those kids who really seemed to love the Clash, I guess a reggae album outta the fold is pretty logical. But, its way better than I expected. Nice modern mix of roots and ska styles.

And, if you liked the Dinosaur Jr., which I just finally heard maybe a week ago, you may also like the new Meat Puppets. I'd probably rate the Dinosaur Jr. a bit higher ,actually. But, the Meat Puppets disc brings a similar level of guitar fun to the party.

If you've heard the Amy Winehouse and liked it this year, you could also check out the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings disc, 100 Days, 100 Nights. Dap Kings did all the music for Amy. Sharon Jones is a more powerful vocalist, but the songs aren't quite as good. Still has the old style soul sound with the horns and all.

Glad I'm not the only one living in a basement. Let me know if you need to hear any of those suggestions.

I've also got a few favorite things like Pole, Steingarden and Stars of the Lid in the electronic vein and I'm sure if you care, you've already heard this year's White Stripes, which I like a lot as well. New Hives is pretty gun for that garage rock thing too, although it's got a lot of filler on there.

Well, not too awful much that completely bowled me over Rae but the ones I can think of that I'm glad I got:

Davey's recent rec of Carribou's Andorra is awesome

I kind like the new Patrick Wolf album, The Magic Position, too.

Mainstream indie releases that I really like a whole lot include:
    The National (one of the few must buys, imo)
    Andrew Bird
    Editors
    Interpol
    Liked one of the two Sigur Ros discs a whole lot. Forget which one.
    Arcade Fire (duh)
    You Say Party, We Say Die!!! really appealed to the punky, quirky part of me. Everyone else's opinion would probably be different but I think it was a better punk album than just about anything else I heard this year.

Biggest dog of the year for me was the Wheat album, oh, and the Siouxsie Sioux got teabagged by hippo balls with her last one. Actually there's probably just as many discs from my 2007 pile that I didn't like compared to the ones I did.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    oh, and the Siouxsie Sioux got teabagged by hippo balls with her last one.
    jc
    Please stop. There's only so much coffee I can clean off my monitor!

Yeah, I really wanted to like that Siouxsie Sioux, but the cover photo was about the best thing about it. Haven't heard that You Say Party, We Say Die!!!, I may need to check it out. I like that one by The National and the Arcade Fire one too.

Well, I kinda changed my mind about The Shepherd's Dog; it's even better than I originally thought. Take Our Endless Numbered Days as your base, then add some Woven Hand to flesh out the sound, next toss in a pinch of Califone ambiance to make things just that much more interesting, and finally fold in a dash of Calexico flourishes. This is the recipe for awesome! I couldn't imagine anything toppling Armchair Apocrypha from my #1 album of 2007 ranking but this one just may do it, or at least be a very, very close #2. If you're not put off by Sam Beam's vocal style go out and get this now. You can thank me three or four spins later

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Hey Slosh, what's that Wilco album that you're listening to? I don't recognize the cover and the print is too small for me to make out.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey Slosh, what's that Wilco album that you're listening to? I don't recognize the cover and the print is too small for me to make out.

Thanks.
    It's the More Like The Moon EP.

Tracklist:

01. Kamera
    02. Handshake Drugs
    03. Woodgrain
    04. A Magazine Called Sunset
    05. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
    06. More Like The Moon

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    funny, I really like Iron & Wine stuff but haven't jumped on Shepard Dog...it almost sounds too easy to like whenever I hear a song... Person Pitch is high on my list and I'm a fan of the new Akron/Family. my list isn't really compiled yet...

If anyone wants to hear for themself why I think so highly of this latest Iron & Wine album click here.

NP:

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    funny, I really like Iron & Wine stuff but haven't jumped on Shepard Dog...it almost sounds too easy to like whenever I hear a song...
    Interesting because I felt the same way about "Armchair Apocrypha" at first. Though clearly lyrically brilliant "Armchair" is almost too hook laden until you really explore the songs. IMO the biggest difference bewteen the albums is pacing and placement, in that Bird's offering at times sounds like a collection of singles whereas "Shepherd Dog" is a more cohesive album in it's entirety. End of the day, both are strong 2007 works.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Well, I kinda changed my mind about The Shepherd's Dog; it's even better than I originally thought. Take Our Endless Numbered Days as your base, then add some Woven Hand to flesh out the sound, next toss in a pinch of Califone ambiance to make things just that much more interesting, and finally fold in a dash of Calexico flourishes. This is the recipe for awesome!
    Nice description. I've heard a couple songs and really like it, but haven't been motivated yet to pull the trigger. Almost headed up to Oakland last night to see the Califone / Iron and Wine show, but tough week at work, and tickets were $30+, and a pretty long drive, and kind of inconvenient location (although beautiful theater), and would've preferred the billing reversed to get an extended Califone set since I like them all lot more, and just getting old .... but still wished I'd gone. Only so many chances you get to see a great show like that probably was.

I picked up the new Burial CD recently and have been liking that a lot. Kind of that dark, hard trip hop like Tricky used to do. But I'd imagine you'd have to be predisposed to liking it, to like it much. Still love all my usual suspects, not too much this year I hadn't heard before. If you don't have it yet, get that vinyl issue of the last Califone record with the hand silkscreened cover. Last year, I know, but still sounds great. And if you don't have any Caribou, I'd pick up the 2-cd reissue of Up In Flames. But the new one is very choice. Really makes me feel good. Love the Magnolia Electric Co box set. Maybe not all 4 discs equally, but when Molina is riding that dark horse, it's pretty special.

Well, I like some of those mentioned...

...especially the Andrew Bird and Iron and Wine, and Editors, and I have to include No Shouts No Calls by Electrelane.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I'll have to settle for Lame v0 versions of Andorra and Up In Flames for the time being. Won't get a chance to hit a record store until next weekend . . . . maybe

I'll have to sate that vinyl jonse soon though and I could see some Califone recs in my future. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to live with some of my old Calexico LPs to scratch that 16-track itch (not that Calexico and Califone sound much alike)

Oh, I guess that Caribou rec wasn't meant for me. I didn't get into Up In Flames when it was by the artist formerly known as Manitoba either. Good thing there are places in cyberspace where you can try before you buy

Funny though that I do like (most of) Neon Golden and Kid A, so it's not the genre per se that rubs me wrong.

NP:

Another one that I've been listening to off and on quite a bit lately is the latest from Detroit twangers Blanche, "Little Amber Bottles". Kind of a country goth mix of the Handsome Family and White Stripes. Tight band. Not a perfect record, but sometimes gets close. Led off the Holiday Mixer with the lead track on the CD. Good production, but the CD is mastered too loud, as usual. List price is under $10, so I didn't even have to work any overtime at the Burger Shack. There's a 180 gm gatefold vinyl issue floating around, but might only be EU. Might have to track down a copy if it continues to grow on me. The vinyl often sounds much better since it is perceived to be a niche product and so doesn't have to play a part in the idiotic "loudness competition" like the CD release.

http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...xfrxqyrldte~T0
    Last edited by Davey; 12-03-2007 at 09:26 AM.

NP (for the first time):

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    recently received the Fire On Fire ep from Young God records. Guess I have an affinity for Michael Gira's sonic palette 'cause, again, this really lights my fire (on fire)...
    They're sorta an ol' timey outfit with lots of banjo, ouds, harmonies, and foot-stompin'...like a modern-day Carter Family that grew up with, but made a concerted effort to forget, punk and goth-type stuff...it all seeps out and bubbles up between the dilapidated cracks of the 30-some minutes of hootenany. Plus it's $7 with a hand-silk screened sleeve. I'm diggin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Another one that I've been listening to off and on quite a bit lately is the latest from Detroit twangers Blanche, "Little Amber Bottles". Kind of a country goth mix of the Handsome Family and White Stripes. Tight band. Not a perfect record, but sometimes gets close. Led off the Holiday Mixer with the lead track on the CD. Good production, but the CD is mastered too loud, as usual. List price is under $10, so I didn't even have to work any overtime at the Burger Shack. There's a 180 gm gatefold vinyl issue floating around, but might only be EU. Might have to track down a copy if it continues to grow on me. The vinyl often sounds much better since it is perceived to be a niche product and so doesn't have to play a part in the idiotic "loudness competition" like the CD release.

http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...xfrxqyrldte~T0
    Thanks, I'm really liking that Blanche track. I was wondering if the album would make my stocking stuffer wish list. It will now.

I picked up The Shins: Wincing the Night Away. I'm really enjoying it as my favorite 'off my usual beat' pick for the year. I can't find anything not to like about it. Smart-pop and some moody atmosphere in a catchy combination. I don't know how many people remember Jellyfish: Bellybutton but I keep thinking of them sometimes when I listen to this. I like Wincing a lot more. And, credits to Slosh for sharing the prime tracks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information