Suspended

WOW! I found a whole new world, and went wild

I went out to Amazon.com looking to hit some sound links to see what Andromeda sounds like before I bought the cd. Unfortunately they didn't have any yet. I usually take a look at the links to similar artists as I did this time and discovered some great music that I never knew existed. There's a boat load of progressive rock out there. I don't understand why none of this makes light of day. I bought Tangent's Music That Died Alone and Gordian Knot's Emergent. I listened to IQ but didn't care for that much. Bands like Glass Hammer and Jadis didn't have sound bites either. I'm really excited and anxious to get my hands on these cd's, I've been growing bored and un-interested in much of the commercial music out there. I actually have been buying classic bands like Jethro Tull trying to feed my hunger, and it took some of the pains away, because I didn't know of bands that made such music today. From the little bit I heard of Tangent & Gordian Knot, I highly recommend them to you all who like Porcupine Tree or progressive with an edge. Sean Malone the bassist that started Gordian Knot seems to be an awesome musician. I also picked up the remaster of Jaco Pastorius. I am a huge fan of fusion, anyone know of any hidden fusion out there? I already have several Jean Luke Ponte, Al Dimeola, Stanley Clarke and Chic Corea.

Also, any other websites that offer the links to listen feature? I plan to follow up on this treasure of prog rock that I have stumbled upon. Any other prog you can recommend I will add to my list as well. I have Porcupine Tree already. Anyone who reads this forum is bound to at least know they exist. I tried them and liked it.

Forum Regular
    Check out Nighwish, Therion, Marlen Glen, Vangelis etc too.
    There are many good ones, that never get big cause the market is dominated by idiots like Britneys pointy spears
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Hey, Mr. Peabody,

Welcome to the PROG world!!!

First of all, glad to know you also enjoy Porcupine Tree, this is by far my current favorite band. Did you know that their recent DVD-Audio version of "In Absentia" won the 2004 Surround Music Awards in the Best Mix-Non-Orchestral cathegory? Check this link for more info:

http://surroundpro.com/articles/publ...icle_224.shtml

Have you also checked the Steven Wilson side project BLACKFIELD? Great stuff too, you can listen to sound & video samples at this link:

http://www.blackfield.org/?s=sound

Now for the new recommendations you requested.

Given that you liked Tangent that much, you NEED to check out THE FLOWER KINGS. Their discography is pretty extensive already, so I'd suggest to start with their first, "The Flower King", and go from there if you like it (and I guess you will). I would also highly suggest to get their recent DVD "Meet The Flower Kings", it's awesome.

There are so many other great bands to talk about....

SPOCK'S BEARD is another great one. One of my personal favorite discs by this band is "V".

There's also MOSTLY AUTUMN, I think you might algo want to check them out.

And ISILDURS BANE... AFTER CRYING... ANGLAGARD... ANEKDOTEN... LANDBERK... SOLARIS... PAR LINDH PROJECT... PALLAS...

That GORDIAN KNOT cd you mentioned is good indeed, but their first self titled is a lot better IMO, so I think you might want to look for it, ok?

And since you also enjoy fusion that much, are you already familiar with the project BOZZIO LEVIN STEVENS? If not yet, you need to check them out now. Listen to samples of their albums at this link:

http://www.magnacarta.net/audio/bozziolevinstevens.html

Another one to check is VERTU. Follow this link for audio samples and info:

http://www.guitar9.com/vertu.html

And the Italian band called ASSOLO DI BONGO, this is also some awesome prog/fusion stuff!!!

Best prog regards,

Demetrio.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

A couple of recent enjoyable picks that I've been listening to:

White Willow, Storm Season
    Anti-Depressive Delivery, Feel Melt Release Escape
    Ayreon, Human Equation

Highly recommended.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Opeth damnation is also a great album more prog than their trademark death metal sound.
    I will also reccomend Sigour ross aegetys bjurn.
    Mogway happy songs for happy people.

Forgot to mention on my previous reply some other names/albums I think you might also enjoy:

- ROCKET SCIENTISTS - Oblivion Days
    - ERIK NORLANDER - Music Machine
    - PLATYPUS - When Pus Comes to Shove
    - OZRIC TENTACLES - Erpland & Strangeitude

That Opeth "Damnation" mentioned by Javier is also another great suggestion for you. It was produced by Steven Wilson and reminds the sound of PT a lot indeed.

Demetrio.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Prog!

One of my favourite new discoveries of the past couple of years is...IZZ, I Move . I LOVE this disk. A great rec by DarrenH that I will forever be grateful for.

Also worth checking out...
    Chain - Reconstruct
    Cryptic Vision - Moments of Clarity - This is very "classic" sounding. Lots of obvious influences from Kansas, Spock's Beard, Rush, Pink Floyd and the like.
    Alias Eye - I don't have any of their CD's yet, but from bits and pieces that I've heard on-line I want to explore this band.

I'll also give two thumbs up to the Opeth rec, if you like Porcupine Tree. The same for Spock's Beard.

Check this site out. Lots of new prog bands and lots of samples...
    http://www.progrockrecords.com

Suspended

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. There is so much out there, they could do a satelite or XM station devoted to it. Album rock stations aren't what they used to be but it would be nice if some of this stuff got some attention.

It's obvious prog has it's fans, it is surviving on basically word of mouth, why do you think radio ignores it? Is it length of the tracks, it blurrs the boundaries of categorization, because most of it is on independent labels? I'm just throwing ideas out, I don't even know what labels the bands are on yet. My honest guess is that it goes over peoples heads. I like AC/DC almost as well as anyone but radio broadcasters program their stations for mindless idiots that can't remember they heard Back In Black last hour or every single day they listen to the station. It's not AC/DC, I just used that as an example. I'm sure if the corporations thought they could milk prog, we would hear it. They just don't think there are enough of us out here to accept it.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Arrow

If you like Sean Malone, I recommend Cynic and Aghora. Both are decidedly on the metal side of the equation (infused with a great deal of jazz/fusion idioms). Cynic leans a bit toward the harsher aspects of metal, with the "Cookie Monster" semi-growled vox, while Aghora features an excellent classically-trained female vocalist. Either way, you're getting some solid compositions by Malone, great use of dynamics, and plenty of virtuosity all around. Both bands also feature Sean Reinert on drums--he's excellent.

If you want to see if there's a step beyond Dream Theater, pick up Spiral Architect's A Sceptic's Universe. Extremely technical prog-metal, with a vocalist vaguely remiscient of Queenryche's Geoff Tate. It's not for everyone (not particularly melodic) but pretty impressive and challenging stuff.

I second the Opeth recommendations as well. Start with Damnation, then get Morningrise.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Suspended

update

I checked out a couple of your suggestions and wanted to say what I found to help you zero in on my taste, or lack there of. Opeth Damnation is in my cart for next purchase. It sounded mostly acoustic but very good. The first Flower Kings I couldn't find. I checked out Adam & Eve, I will pass on that. They sounded more along the lines of IQ. Remember this is only being based on 30 second snips. Spocks Beard V, I am on the fence. I think I need more input. Two of the songs sound familiar and I'm not sure where I would have come in contact with them. I think I might have heard All On a Sunday on one of the satelite music stations. I checked out a few more but no sound samples were provided. Maybe the record company has to pay extra for those. I will go to another site and see if I can listen. www.progrockrecords used Real player and I currently have Windows Media. I didn't want to download another player until I free up some room. I was disappointed not to be able to sample Ayreon, Human Equation had a bonus DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    www.progrockrecords used Real player and I currently have Windows Media. I didn't want to download another player until I free up some room. I was disappointed not to be able to sample Ayreon, Human Equation had a bonus DVD.
    I use Windows Media...I don't even have Real Player installed on my computer...and I'm able to listen to the stuff on progrockrecords without a problem.

If you want more fusion-y stuff:

Tony Levin- Pieces of the Sun
    Isildurs Bane- Mind V1
    Black Light Syndrome
    Liquid Tension Experiment
    Bruford Levi Upper Extremities
    Michael Manring- Thonk
    Andy West- Rama
    Vertu

http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/confusion.jpg
    http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/fusionintrusion.jpg

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I use Windows Media...I don't even have Real Player installed on my computer...and I'm able to listen to the stuff on progrockrecords without a problem.
    < I followed the link given by someone on this page to bozzio on progrock records and I saw 2 listening choices mp3 or Real player, which do you choose? I don't want to download anything, can I click on mp3? Or, is there another way to listen that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    < I followed the link given by someone on this page to bozzio on progrock records and I saw 2 listening choices mp3 or Real player, which do you choose? I don't want to download anything, can I click on mp3? Or, is there another way to listen that I missed?
    I don't know. That's not the site that I referred you to. I was recommending that you go to www.progrockrecords.com. This site is a record label that only signs prog bands. There are lots of samples here from the bands signed to this label.

The progrockrecords site doesn't ask you to choose a format. You just find a CD that you want to sample and click on the song title and, voila!, it playes on Windows Media. It's a great way to sample lots of new bands.

I can't help you with the Bozzio site, sorry.

Suspended

So far

I picked up about 5 prog cds so far. The 2 getting the most play are Opeth Damnation and Ozric Tentacles Pungent Effulgent. I like the feel of the Opeth album it's really good. Someone mentioned they do death metal, that's hard to believe after hearing damnation. OT, what can I say about this album, it is probably the most unique sound or sounds I've heard in a long time, very enjoyable. The sound of Pungent Effulgent is such a blend you can't peg what it is. I also liked Gordian Knot just not to the degree of the before mentioned. Tangent, I loved the music but the vocals on a couple songs had me asking, "are you kidding?". Maybe they were bad on purpose? During my venture I stumbled across Proto Kaw. I also notice they weren't on anyone's list. I picked up Before Came After or something like that. I am a big Kansas fan and lke Livgren. I have his solo album Mask of the Great Deceiver. This is actually a 2 cd set. The second cd has some material from the early 70's when these guys were originally together and a video interview that can be played on your computer. This album wasn't bad, maybe a 6 to 6 1/2 on a 10 scale. I really shouldn't rate it until I get another listen or 2 but I've heard the first disc twice. Some songs are not at all like Kansas and some you definitely hear the influence, like track 4 your could drop onto a Kansas album and never know the difference. Proto Kaw has a flute and no violin, that I heard. This album is certainly a far cry better than the last Kansas release which I realize isn't saying much.

Here's one for you. This is old school but I heard the title track to Uriah Heep's Sallsbury album and have put that on my list of future purchase's, only $9.99 at Amazon. I already have Demons & Wizards which I love very much. You might also check out Starcastle. Anyone else have any Lucifer's Friend? The first Enwie Malmsteen album is good, the closest thing to classical rock I've ever heard. Any good progger should have some Renisance (forgive the spellng).

Thread Information