Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

What is your all-time FAVORITE symphony?

I've always liked Beethoven's 5th the best but until recently I've only owned mediocre quality recordings that didn't do it justice.
    But I just purchased Beethoven's 5th and 7th conducted by Kleiber performed by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra on the Deutsche Grammophon label the other day and I'm absolutely blown away by the quality. Finally...
    The 5th is probably my favorite symphony and I dare say could be the best ever. It's certainly the first I recommend to others, and I think was even the first that I was introduced to years back.

So I'd just like to know, what are some of your favorite symphonies and which recordings of these would you recommend. Are there any other versions of Beethoven's 5th worth a listen?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I've always liked Beethoven's 5th the best but until recently I've only owned mediocre quality recordings that didn't do it justice.
    But I just purchased Beethoven's 5th and 7th conducted by Kleiber performed by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra on the Deutsche Grammophon label the other day and I'm absolutely blown away by the quality. Finally...
    The 5th is probably my favorite symphony and I dare say could be the best ever. It's certainly the first I recommend to others, and I think was even the first that I was introduced to years back.

So I'd just like to know, what are some of your favorite symphonies and which recordings of these would you recommend. Are there any other versions of Beethoven's 5th worth a listen?
    First of all, I'd like to 2nd that the Kleiber 5th/7th combo is one fantastic cd. Definately belongs in any classical cd collection. That said, it's very difficult for me on this Monday morning to actually come out and say what my favorite symphony is.

I've often said this (my opinion of course): the Mahler 9th is the "greatest" (whatever that means) work ever composed in the history of music. It's not even 100 years old yet, but I think time will be kind to it and future generations will come to appreciate it's power even more. That said, would I call it my favorite? Not sure. "My favorite" might mean what symphony I am enjoying the most currently. That could include several. It might also include that work which moved me the most in a live concert. I saw Mark Wigglesworth conduct the Cleveland Orchestra a few years ago in Cooke competed version of the Mahler 10th. Amazing.. just.. that's what music making is all about. Totally involving, soul shaking, tear jerking music. I can't say I've ever had a musical experience quite like that one. Though about 12 years ago a concert by the same orchestra under Dohnanyi totally destroyed me with their take on the Mahler 9th. As far as Mahler's earlier symphonies go.. my favorites change as the years ago by. For a while I was more obsessed with the 5th. I can't say right now I'm more into any one Mahler symphony just because I don't have a lot of time right now to sit down and listen. As far as recordings of the 9th go, there are a lot of great ones.. Guilini and Karajan are my favorite two, though Karajan has a couple to choose from, some prefer his later live recording from the early 80's, I own the 70's analog version, which isn't quite as intense.

Another long-time favorite of mine is a Teldec recording of Mistislav Rostropovich conducting the Shostakovich 5th. I think in time this will be known as one of the greatest works of the 20th century. It's power is just overwhelming. I'd love to hear Rostropovich conduct it live someday but I doubt I'll have the chance.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

And, another one that's been a long time favorite of mine is the Bruckner 7th. My current favorite recording of the work is by Karajan and the Vienna Philharmonic, which, just happens to be the last recording of Karajan's career. From the Amazon website:

"This recording of Bruckner's Seventh Symphony was Maestro Karajan's very last recording. Karajan, of course related to Bruckner more than with any other composer, so what a great recording to go out with. This album is truly majestic. Karajan, like no other, is able to bring out the mystical aspects of Bruckner's symphonies that make them so unique"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...sical&n=507846

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

42 Regular
    Interesting...I just went to a Chicago Symphony Orchestra performance of the 5th last night, at the outdoor Ravinia Festival venue. It's one of those big fancy-ass, grassy picnic zones where you can't even see the stage (unless you spring for pavillion seats), but it was a beautiful night and a very robust performance. Very assertive and up-tempo.

I also love the 5th, but have to give his 9th a slight edge. But I'm far from knowledgeable. My current disc of the 5th is less than great. It's Leonard Bernstein conducting (I forget) on the DG label. When I was younger, I loved my vinyl record of Eugene Ormandy and the Philly Orchestra. I'll have to look out for that Kleiber disc.

And, of course, I look forward to Pat_D's contribution to this thread.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Interesting...I just went to a Chicago Symphony Orchestra performance of the 5th last night, at the outdoor Ravinia Festival venue. It's one of those big fancy-ass, grassy picnic zones where you can't even see the stage (unless you spring for pavillion seats), but it was a beautiful night and a very robust performance. Very assertive and up-tempo.

I also love the 5th, but have to give his 9th a slight edge. But I'm far from knowledgeable. My current disc of the 5th is less than great. It's Leonard Bernstein conducting (I forget) on the DG label. When I was younger, I loved my vinyl record of Eugene Ormandy and the Philly Orchestra. I'll have to look out for that Kleiber disc.

Yeah, the 9th is another great, and I too am a fan of Mahler. I don't mean to use this thread to determine the greatest symphony ever...we'd be here an awefully long time and someone would probably end up bloody. Besides, it's quite subjective. Favorites should suffice.

I also have an excellent version of Holst's "The Planets", but I can't recall the conductor or orchestra at this time...I seem to recall it's an SACD/CD hybrid though...could be wrong. That's another one of my all-time favorites. I have to say, of the few symphonies I have been fortunate to see performed "well", "The Planets" is probably one that benefits the most from the live venue. More than any Beethoven symphony I've seen. Especially the power in "Mars" and "Jupiter". I'll have to report back as to which recording I have.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Dvorak's 9th, by far. Every single movement is beyond compare. It really "takes me there". A good rendition is better than sex.

I don't like Beethoven so much -- I like the first movement of the 5th (you need to here PDQ Bach's/Peter Schickele's version), the second movement of the 7th, and the last movement of the 9th, and the rest are "okay", but bore me easily. Live is a different story. (Any recommendations on 3rd movements? I'd like to collect the complete set.)

I like some Rachmaninov and some Tchaikovsky as well.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Dvorak's 9th, by far. Every single movement is beyond compare. It really "takes me there". A good rendition is better than sex.

I don't like Beethoven so much -- I like the first movement of the 5th (you need to here PDQ Bach's/Peter Schickele's version), the second movement of the 7th, and the last movement of the 9th, and the rest are "okay", but bore me easily. Live is a different story. (Any recommendations on 3rd movements? I'd like to collect the complete set.)

Rachmaninov (and his 37 spelling variations) Piano Concerto's 2 & 4 are great works.

A bit more contemporary, I also like Gorecki's Symphony 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) with Johanna Kozlowska...Used in millions of movies, and "borrowed" by Hans Zimmer in "Gladiator".

Forum Regular
    I know very very very little about classical music, but I have 2 Rimsky-Korsokov titles that I enjoy a lot, and 1 disc called "Orchestral Favorites" or something like that by the Cincinatti Pops Orchestra or something (it's a Telarc disc). It's like rock and roll symphonic music.

But I rarely listen to this type of music, maybe I need to check more of it out.

Dave

Forum Regular

my fave is

The 5th no other shymponic work has more gossebump factor than this one for me ( close competitor Stravinsky firebird suite), Agred on The Kleiber CD with both 5th and 7th i own the SACD version and it is fantastic other versions i own are Karajan on DG, and Maazel on sony.
    I just recently started into Mahler but just starting to enjoy the 1st and 5th so more to go.

Rachmaninov (and his 37 spelling variations) Piano Concerto's 2 & 4 are great works.
    Agreed. The only reason I don't get more enthusiastic about his orchestral symphonies is because I know of what he is capable. The only reason I don't like his symphonies more, is because they pale in comparison to his piano concertos. But if you listen to them on their own (the symphonies, that is), they really aren't half bad. I definitely enjoy them more than Beethoven's or Mozart's. I think it's the Russian in me.

Ditto Tchaikovsky (except replace "piano concerto" with "ballet music" -- Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Romeo and Juliet).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

My knowledge of classical is very limited, but of what I am familiar with, I have to say Schumann's Symphony Number 3, Rhenish. Emotional music at a fundamental level for me.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular

Only one?

This should at least be a "top five" (ala the movie High Fidelity), but I think any attempt at less than 10 is too limiting.

First, let's exclude LVB as his symphs are in a separtate league (i.e., what are your top five favority Beethoven symphonies?

So, I will answer my top five NON-Beethoven (for today, as this list changes based on what I have heard and learned recently):

- Prokofiev 1
    - Shostakovitch 5
    - Brahms 3
    - Tchaikovsky (how do you spell hiim?) 4
    - Mozart 40

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    My knowledge of classical is very limited, but of what I am familiar with, I have to say Schumann's Symphony Number 3, Rhenish. Emotional music at a fundamental level for me.
    Schumann's 3rd! Oh yes! A wonderful work, also the 4th. Actually, I like them all. Any favorite recordings? Actually, I like Antoni Wit on Naxos as well as any, but Haitink and Szell are also excellent.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

Ravinia Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi

I haven't visited the Chicago area for several years, but I have gone to a number of concerts at Ravinia over the years. One can take the train north from Chicago right up to the entrance. I remember hearing a concert with soprano Sumi Jo some years ago.

I agree that Carlos Kleiber's performances of Beethoven's 5th and 7th Symphonies are great, but I find the sound mediocre. On the other hand, I have some others which I think are at least as good which are much better recorded, notably Karajan's 1962 version on DG (I have it on LP) and Leibowitz and the Royal Philharmonic on Chesky.

I like all the Beethoven symphonies, but my favorite is the Eroica, no. 3, with Ansermet, Leibowitz, or Schmidt-Isserstedt, although I have some other good ones (Karajan, Marriner). Other favorites are nos. 4, 6 , 7 and generally, I like Ansermet, Leibowitz and Karajan. Ansermet is not so good on no. 9, which is smooth but not exciting, and my favorites are Suitner on Denon and Leibowitz on Chesky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Schumann's 3rd! Oh yes! A wonderful work, also the 4th. Actually, I like them all. Any favorite recordings? Actually, I like Antoni Wit on Naxos as well as any, but Haitink and Szell are also excellent.
    The one I'm most familiar with (going from foggy memory here, don't have the record with me) is Muti and The London Philharmonia (I think) and I believe it is on Angel. Seems that I may also have a Bernstein one that I never liked as much as the Muti. And, I agree, the 4th is excellent, but I've listened to it much less than Rhenish. The hair still stands up on my neck when I play it, and as I said, my knowledge of classical is minimal.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular

Beethoven's Symphony no. 3 (Eroica)

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony isn't one of my favorites, though I have learned to like the work. Kleiber's performances are great, but the sound is strange. I find Leibowitz on Chesky and Karajan (1962) on DG to be at least as good and much better recorded.

My favorite Beethoven Symphony, and indeed, my favorite symphony, is probably the Eroica, no. 3. I like Ansermet and Leibowitz very much although I have some other good ones. The next favorite would be no. 6, the Pastorale, with Ansermet or Leibowitz.

You haven't asked for the greatest symphonies, which was wise, but for favorites and favorite recordings. Here's some of my favorites:

Haydn, Symphonies nos. 22 (the Philosopher), 24, and 77 (not on the same CDs), with Nicholas Ward and the Northern Chamber Orchestra on Naxos.

Haydn, Symphony no. 82 (the Bear or l'ours), Marrniner, ASMF, on Philips. The other Paris Symphonies, nos. 82-87 are wonderful, too.

Haydn, Symphony no. 94, with Joseph Krips on London.

Of course, there are other interesting 18 century symphonies, too, by some of Bach's sons, Kraus, Vanhal, and others, easily available on Naxos.

Mozart, Symphonies 35 (Haffner) and 41 (Jupiter), with Krips and Leibowitz on Chesky. Colin Davis does a wonderful Jupiter, too. The HIP (Historically Informed Performances) by Hogwood and Pinnock are very fine as well. I have the Pinnock set of all the Mozart symphonies, very fine performances, well recorded and quite cheap.

Schubert's 8th (Unfinished) and 9th (the Great C Major) are very well done by Suitner on Denon. Krips is also very fine for the Great C Major symphony and many like Solti, though I don't. Sinopoli's recording of the Unfinished Symphony and Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony is excellent.

Schumann, Symphonies 1-4. George Szell did a notable analogue set and Haitink's is very fine too, with more realistic sound. I actually enjoy Antoni Wit's performances for Naxos as well as ny.

Mendelssohn, Symphonies nos. 3 (Scotch) and 4 (Italian). Dohnanyi's recordings are very fine, in fulll rich sound. For no. 3, my favorite is Peter Maag's old London recording.

Brahms, Symphonies 1-4. The Bruno Walter stereo set on Sony is wonderful. For no. 4, my favorite is Fritz Reiner on Chesky, a great performance and recording.

I rather like Monteux's recording of Tchaikovski's 5th and the old Mitropoulos recording of no. 6, the Pathetique Symphony.

Bruckner, Symphonyies 4 and 7, with Tintner on Naxos.

Rachmaninoff, Symphonies nos. 1-3, Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, on Sony. Previn is also good for no. 2, and I also heard a good recording by Anissimov on Naxos.

Sibelius, Symphonies nos. 2 and 5. The old Maazel set is very good, and I prefer his no. 5 to any others I have heard. Barbirolli and Colin Davis have done great recordings of no. 2.

Mahler, Symphony no. 4, Maazel, on CBS. I would also suggest Das Lied von der Erde, which many consider a symphony, with Walter, Karajan, and no doubt others. I am not a big Mahler fan but I enjoy these.

I like Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, no. 1, and Ansermet did a nice recordings of it.

I have never warmed up to Shostakovich's Symphonies.

There are many other 20th century symphonies, but most have not attained favorite status with me.

Modern Avant-Symphony

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music is the greatest symphony ever written.

Hey Pat D

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony isn't one of my favorites, though I have learned to like the work. Kleiber's performances are great, but the sound is strange. I find Leibowitz on Chesky and Karajan (1962) on DG to be at least as good and much better recorded.
    That's funny the Karajan/DG recording is on of the "mediocre ones" I wanted to replace...just curious...what is it you like about it? I dont' find it "bad", just a tad bit dull. I suppose all classical recording suffer from this to some extent. Haven't heard the Chesky one...might be worth an audition.

You haven't asked for the greatest symphonies, which was wise, but for favorites and favorite recordings.
    Been down that road before...the biggest problem I have with classical music is finding decent quality recordings of certain pieces. Quite often, I thought movements or entire works were bad, only later to find out it was the conductor or the recording that ruined it. This must be a problem for many people attempting to get into classical music. And most music stores still carry limited selections, an uphill battle all the way.

Forum Regular
    That's funny the Karajan/DG recording is on of the "mediocre ones" I wanted to replace...just curious...what is it you like about it? I dont' find it "bad", just a tad bit dull. I suppose all classical recording suffer from this to some extent. Haven't heard the Chesky one...might be worth an audition.

Been down that road before...the biggest problem I have with classical music is finding decent quality recordings of certain pieces. Quite often, I thought movements or entire works were bad, only later to find out it was the conductor or the recording that ruined it. This must be a problem for many people attempting to get into classical music. And most music stores still carry limited selections, an uphill battle all the way.
    Beethoven's Fifth has always seemed rather bombastic to me and it is often played that way. Now, if you think Karajan is dull, Ansermet is even more cool and collected and you probably would find it soporific. But I find it makes the musical structures clear, and in the right mood, I really like that. My brother used to like a CBS recording by Pierre Boulez, which I find very dull, though as I recall the sound was very good. I'll have to get it out and play it some time. Maybe I'm seduced by the sound on that Karajan recording (which everyone says sounds better on LP). With my new speakers, many recordings sound different, and this is one that sounds really great. The Berlin Philharmonic was and is a great orchestra, and they played it very well. You might very well like Leibowitz and the Royal Philharmonic, though. I have them all and find it a very strong series.

I find that most good music will tolerate many different interpretations quite well.

I find that most good music will tolerate many different interpretations quite well.
    I find this to be true as well. It's often not the interpretations that I dislike as much as the recording quality. That said, I'd rather listen to a bad recording of music I like than a good recording of today's radio crap. It's all relative, I suppose.

I don't have enough classical on vinyl.

Forum Regular

Peter Schickele

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Ah yes! Peter Schickele's "New Perspectives in Music Appreciation." I played this and my wife couldn't stand it--she would rather hear the music without those guys talking--she was doing other things and I don't think she caught the analogy with the sports play by play commentary.

Did you every hear Anna Russell's retelling of Wagner's Ring Cycle operas, all done in 20 minutes? And everything she says is true: "I'm not making this up, you know!"

Ah yes! Peter Schickele's "New Perspectives in Music Appreciation." I played this and my wife couldn't stand it--she would rather hear the music without those guys talking--she was doing other things and I don't think she caught the analogy with the sports play by play commentary.
    The funny thing is, I actually learned a few things from that commentary. It really did increase my appreciation of the work. "What does he think this is, a concerto?"
    Did you every hear Anna Russell's retelling of Wagner's Ring Cycle operas, all done in 20 minutes? And everything she says is true: "I'm not making this up, you know!"
    Not yet, but welcome to my wish list. I'll have to track that down. Hmmm...do you suppose I should look in "classical" or "comedy"? I'll start by finding out where PDQ Bach is categorized...
    Quote of the day.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Another long-time favorite of mine is a Teldec recording of Mistislav Rostropovich conducting the Shostakovich 5th. I think in time this will be known as one of the greatest works of the 20th century. It's power is just overwhelming. I'd love to hear Rostropovich conduct it live someday but I doubt I'll have the chance.

Do you know Shostakovich 5th by Semyon Bychkov? It's also great.
    Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    [
    Do you know Shostakovich 5th by Semyon Bychkov? It's also great.
    Walker
    I think a friend of mine had that, but it's been years since I've heard it.

There are lots of great 5ths out there, and it's interesting how the impact of the work can change depending on how certain sections are handled. The ending can be triumphant (probably how the Russian government thought it was meant to be) or tragic or even extremely bitter. I have a video tape of Mistislav conducting the piece at a place called Wolf Trap. I wonder if it's available anymore. It's amazing watching him conduct. The end he's almost doing a Lenny immitation, as if his baton was a sledgehammer and he's beating those last final notes of the piece into submission, and the audience right along with them..

-jar

The Replacements

Forum Regular
    I find this to be true as well. It's often not the interpretations that I dislike as much as the recording quality. That said, I'd rather listen to a bad recording of music I like than a good recording of today's radio crap. It's all relative, I suppose.

I don't have enough classical on vinyl.
    The first recording of Beethoven's Fifth I really liked was an old Westminster LP with Arthur Rodzinski conducting. This LP is cut at a very low level and the sound is rather distant and not very wide range, though it's smooth sounding and not unpleasant. I am not sure now what I saw in it then! Anyway, I often like really old vocal recordings but not many old orchestral recordings, although some are not unpleasant. But generally, I look for excellent performances rather than excellent sound, though sometimes one can have both. Many of my favorite orchestral recordings are fairly early in the stereo era.

The first recording of Beethoven's Fifth I really liked was an old Westminster LP with Arthur Rodzinski conducting. This LP is cut at a very low level and the sound is rather distant and not very wide range, though it's smooth sounding and not unpleasant. I am not sure now what I saw in it then! Anyway, I often like really old vocal recordings but not many old orchestral recordings, although some are not unpleasant. But generally, I look for excellent performances rather than excellent sound, though sometimes one can have both. Many of my favorite orchestral recordings are fairly early in the stereo era.
    One of my best friends in High School had a significant classical vinyl collection even before we started buying cds. He started young. We used to rock out with the Toscanini Beethoven cycle. No, they don't sound the best by any means, but the performances are classic. He even happened upon an extra set and gave one to me! I haven't spun one of those albums in years though. Might be fun to get them out and spin a few.

-jar

The Replacements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information