Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ok I'm in...

My favs...

Pink Floyd (for me the top dogs)
    King Crimson (very artful and unpredictable)
    XTC (are they prog?? kinda sort'a?...)
    Porky Tree (can't get enuff)

I'll be hunting round to hear what's been listed...some I've never heard..

Peace, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular
    I have been a prog head since the early 70s. The best prog band ever? Objectively I would have to say YES. But I prefer Kansas and Camel. Neal Morse's recent work is very good too. Peace.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

cod
    Forum Regular

Talking

For me it has to be Pink floyd, and Echoes of Meddle, is just something far removed from its time, the past or the future, they didnt dazzle with scales and speed. But with honest poetry and emotive powerful music. I love Genesis, im quite young and these were what i listened too when i was a baby, but i love "Wind and Wuthering". that was before the idiot Collins, (We cant dance) ruined the mastery of what Gabriel made and the last hooray for Steve Hackett. Yes had some wonderful lyrics not understood by anyone, yet they now seem like very spiritual new age concepts what he was singing about, (close to the edge). I also Had to put up with ELP, no i liked ELP, And Camel has no mention here, "The Snow goose" was played a lot in our house, and only 5 years ago i came across "Moonmadness", and really loved it.
    Of Course dont Forget Modern classics as ahem, U.D.A., (Unnapreciated Dying Artist),
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue6/uda.htm also go here to listen to the first track on that album, this is quite old and the mood gets darker as you go further forward. http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/nov00/audio/uda/uda.MP3 Im so lazy though I'll never get rich by it.

But it Will surprise you greatly, read the reviews, I have more like that. I also have 6 to give away if anyones interested in the review and might like it, and also Feel free to burn it and give it to anyone who might like it. Its not about money its about music. Im not bothered i dont sell because I dont want to be rich, just want to not be obliged to do what i dont want to, but it is sad its not being heard , Anyway hopefully this will pass through as im not selling anything, but i think that a few of you guys into long atmospheric, inventive instrumental peices will like it.

I'm Up For A Listen

Quote Originally Posted by cod
    I also have 6 to give away if anyones interested in the review and might like it, and also Feel free to burn it and give it to anyone who might like it. Its not about money its about music. Im not bothered i dont sell because I dont want to be rich, just want to not be obliged to do what i dont want to, but it is sad its not being heard , Anyway hopefully this will pass through as im not selling anything, but i think that a few of you guys into long atmospheric, inventive instrumental peices will like it.

Okay, sounds like I'd like it. If you e-mail me, I'll email you my address. Are you Andy?

linetsky(at)istar(dot)ca

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Not a huge prog listener (can't stand a lot of it, including Yes and ELP) but here are my picks:

1. Pink Floyd: Well, duh. They had one of the most amazing runs in all of music, and were way more than the sum of their parts. Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals (my fave), The Wall.. and let's not leave out the Syd-fronted debut Piper At The Gates Of Dawn either. Yes, medigs immensely.

2. King Crimson: These guys practically embody the term "prog." Fripp & Co. always kept their sound moving in new and challenging directions. From In The Court.. to Lizard to Larks' Tongues In Aspic to Discipline to THRAK and finally The Power To Believe.. that's quite a progression.

3. Frank Zappa:.. is the man. Name another artist with a career as diverse, adventurous, and challenging as Zappa (Mike Patton? John Zorn?). Bet you can't. Not to mention the fact that he had a wicked sense of humor, was a great satiricist, an even greater guitarist and composer, and was constantly offending the PRMC. And he practically invented "fusion" with Hot Rats and other albums... he's in a class of his own.

4. Porcupine Tree: The best of "neo-prog" by far. Steve Wilson is one of my favorite all-around artists, and the music takes the best of old-school prog, combines it with modern alternative and metal to keep it fresh and interesting. In Absentia is an all-time classic and the rest of their discography fails to dissappoint as well.

5. Opeth: These Swedes probably belong more in the metal camp. However, the prog influences are more than evident in their sweeping epics, combining crushing and bleak melodic death passages with soothing, pastoral folk. Mikael Akerfeldt is one of the best vocalists I've ever encountered anywhere, and they've yet to release a single duff album after about a decade.

Other noteworthy mentions:
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    Gentle Giant
    Magma
    The Mahavishnu Orchestra (closer to jazz-fusion territory, but hey, it fits)
    Devin Townshend
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Suspended
    My favorite is probably Kansas. I also have a lot of Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

One of my favorite newer bands to me is Ozric Tentacles. If you don't have any of them you have to get some. They are great. I also enjoyed Sylvan's Artificial Paradise and Tangent's The Day the Music Died. Opeth Damnation is a great album but i take points away because that album is not typical of their sound. It would be the same as Pink Floyd putting out an album that sounded like Metallica's style.

Forum Regular

Wow

Good thread.

Love that GENTLE GIANT gets many votes here -- they were simply magnificent -- saw them live in Dallas in 1977 or so.

Zappa not mentioned much but a genre/catagory for him is next to impossible.

Floyd gets the most votes here and I really can't disagree -- however, the material is clearly superior after Gilmore arrived and Waters grew into the new role.

YES is an obvious and another I have to agree with. I must like them because I've caught their live act 14 times...........mostly to watch Squire.

Can't believe it took 17 posts before I saw the name of Dream Theater -- as well-trained technical musicians go, nobody can currently touch these guys.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Can't believe it took 17 posts before I saw the name of Dream Theater -- as well-trained technical musicians go, nobody can currently touch these guys.
    Yeah, I was surprised at that as well. And when I saw them mentioned I thought, "DOH! Of course!".

But I guess that when I think of the best prog band EVER, I think of the older bands. The originals of the genre. As much as I love many of the newer prog bands (DT and PT in particular), I can't consider them the best EVER when I can hear so many of the older influences in their music. DT may be technically better than many of the older bands but I don't think that they would be the band that they are without having heard the prog bands of the 70's.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    DT may be technically better than many of the older bands but I don't think that they would be the band that they are without having heard the prog bands of the 70's.
    Very true, and I think DT would be the first to admit to that, too.

I was a little hesitant to put Dream Theater into a list with Rush, Yes, etc...wasn't sure if they deserved to be there, yett...maybe I should have waited until all is said and done, they're careers are over etc...it's hard to compare groups from different eras. I'm not sure DT will ever have as much impact or influence on the scene as some of the others, but I love what they do.
    As Paul McCartney said even the Beatles owe a lot of their success to timing, not just talent. Maybe DT is caught out of time?
    I always wonder about the all the "could-have-been" bands out there that didn't get their chance, and what we've missed out on...but that's a different topic.

DT is a different breed of prog with the whole "metal" aspect incorporated in there too, while I think many DT fans can and do appreciate the likes Yes, Rush, etc, I'm not sure many long-time fans of the groups from 70's could just as easily get into Dream Theater (though I've been surprised at few shows now).

I never use influences, or being late to the scene against a group either. Mozart and Beethoven wore their influences on their sleeves too...and the world is better off for it.

Forum Regular

Autumn

" DT may be technically better than many of the older bands but I don't think that they would be the band that they are without having heard the prog bands of the 70's"

A big "AMEN" to that shyt, baby.........well said.

After all, prog progresses.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    After all, prog progresses.
    Oh, now that's deep.

cod
    Forum Regular
    Eyup Mr Peabody How could i forget the Ozrics, bit of a parody of themselves now, but some wonderful work from the early years, and mid to later, naa i still love em

Wonder what Yechy would say??????

Forum Regular
    Yechy has converted.

He now plays drums for Proto-Kaw.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information