Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection?

What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection that you enjoy the most?

Hello tommc

Let's see...

Right now? These are three I always enjoy:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
    The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Les
    Quote Originally Posted by tommc

A couple of these are pretty constant for me -

1 Joni Mitchell - Blue

I rediscovered this a couple of years ago after buying the remaster. In the 70's this passed me by and my only regret about this album is that I missed out on hearing it for maybe 25 years. It really is a masterpiece of songwriting and performance and from a technical perspective the remaster, which is also HDCD, is a wonderful recording.

2 Beggar on A Beach of Gold - Mike & The Mechanics

Not a band that have sold well in the US or outside of Europe but I never get tired of hearing this. It is a combination of quality 'pop' music with excellent melodies and what could be decribed as melodious 'prog' I suppose. Lyrically there are some dark songs but I think this is a much underrated album. I love it.

3 In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

The third choice is a relatively new one. I only discovered PT in the last year or so when MasterCylinder copied me this album. I subsequently went out and bought the original -( it's an ownership thing ), Coma Divine and Signify and I just hope that one day I can get a copy of Lightbulb Sun which seems to be out of print now.

In Absentia has everything IMHO. It is simply a great album with memorable songs, arrangements and moments of musical brilliance in Steve Wilson's guitar playing.

The first two choices will probably remain unchanged. I have many favourite albums amongst my collection but these are regularly played, week in week out. Maybe In Absentia will be moved to one side in the future but I haven't heard anything since it's release that has caught my imagination as much .....
    Cheers

Les

Forum Regular

who

what type of music is this? I've only heard of two of those six artists...the flaming lips and jonie mitchell. I guess I'm more mainstream than I thought...

That's just too hard for me to answer. I'll cheat and give you my three favorite CD's of 2003 to date:

British Sea Power-The Decline Of British Sea Power
    Postal Service-Give Up
    Annie Lennox-Bare

The top two will stay-the third is negotiable depending on the day.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Yeah...three is just way too hard. Hell, I couldn't even cover the genres I like with three. Still, I'll just list three that have been in solid rotation for a long time for me, just for kicks. Of course, these would absolutely change hourly for me. Well, how about just a list of three kick-ass albums rather than three best...that works better for me.

I'm gonna have to list Massive Attack: Blue Lines. You gotta love those records that somehow manage to be visionary and groundbreaking while remaining a great listen and easily accesible at once. This one's mix of hip hop, electronica, R&B and reggae just always sounds right.

I guess I need something rockin', so I'll toss out The Minutemen: Three Way Tie For last. Why not Double Nickles on the Dime? Well, I've pushed that one enough around here, so it's time to move on. Besides, this one's just as good as far as I'm concerned, although different. Songs are longer and a bit more traditional, but the playing and songwriting is still great. Absolutely a must have from these fellas.

And, these days, I just can't get enough of Chet Baker Sings, and since I need to at least pick one selection outside the popular music realm, I'll grab this one. Of course, picking this over a couple of different Miles Davis discs borders on sacrilidge for me, but what the hell.

Ok...three great albums. Three best in my collection? Probably not. Three favorites? Who knows? At least they're all things I can listen to over and over and always seem to hit the spot, and they popped in my head when I starting writing this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommc
    big sweeping topic here.. but I'll throw out 3 just for kicks.

Husker Du - NEW DAY RISING. Ok, this is just about my favorite album ever. I still have the same vinyl copy I bought at some electronics store back in, oh, 1986 or something. They're on the SST label. I love just about everything on SST from 1978 (Black Flag, Minutemen, Meat Puppets) up through the mid 80s (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, fIREHOSE).

Mercury Rev - YERSELF IS STEAM
    Flaming Lips - TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE SATELLITE HEART
    These two count as one.. These albums just seem to connect me with a great time in my life. (dirt poor and drunk.. hehe) Plus they're both just great albums that reflect the sound of the early 90's so well.

Slint - SPIDERLAND
    Joy Division - CLOSER
    Two brilliant, desperate albums that will stand forever as monuments of what can be done with voice and musical instruments that will leave us forever guessing what could have been..

one more..
    Stone Roses - STONE ROSES
    it's just.. perfect.

-jar-

Forum Regular

top 3

ROMANTIC WARRIOR -- Return to Forever (Japanese remaster; HDCD)
    RELAYER -- Yes (Japanese remaster; HDCD)
    SCENES FROM A MEMORY -- Dream Theater

WOW Les !!!!!! In Absentia is on your list; I totally expected some disc with Carrack on it, but not the PT -- I'm impressed.

42 Regular

Three is too tough, dood

REM - Reckoning
    U2 - Achtung Baby
    Genesis - Trick of the Tail

These are the three that I have probably listened to and enjoyed the most times in my life. Probably.

What am I really enjoying lately?

Wilco - Being There
    Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
    The Notwist - Neon Golden

Now, I would like everyone to drop what they're doing and go put on the Stones' "Sticky Fingers," just because it's the right thing to do. Thank you.

These might change tomorrow

Picking 3 is tough. Here goes:

1. ABB - The Road Goes On Forever

2. SRV - Texas Flood

3. Clash - London Calling

JD

Les
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    WOW Les !!!!!! In Absentia is on your list; I totally expected some disc with Carrack on it, but not the PT -- I'm impressed.
    But of course Carrack is on one of my choices - he sings lead on most of the Mike & The Mechanics album
    Cheers

Les

3 the hard way

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
    2. The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
    3. Mastodon - Remission

I can live with that

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    3. Mastodon - Remission
    Really?!? You know it recently got re-released with a DVD...any comments?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Well now

Tea For The Tillerman ( Cat Stevens )

Equinox ( Styx )

Highway To Hell ( ACDC )
    The Nelster

Well, based on no particular criteria, I'd say (at this particular moment):

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
    Spiraling - Time Travel Made Easy
    It Bites - The Tall Ships

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey 3LB...took you 8 years decide on Midlake, Spiraling, and It Bites???

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich in the other relic he dug up
    Looks like someone woke up Rip van Winkle

It's still fun to look back at old threads if only to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...the names of so many who no longer visit RR. I used to have a blast busying the balls of Over 50, but he hasn't been around in years...J Daniel...Jar...Jim Clark...Master Cylinder (or does he have a new moniker?)...Les....Snowbuns, although she does pop in now and again.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Are you saying that MC is posting here still? I haven't heard from him since he recorded that song about cat barf (or something like that).

Suspended

Don't get me wrong...

...I don't share o2audio's sentiments. I suspect that due to the time of day 3LB posted, it was either because he was bored or he was a bit tipsy and got nostalgic.

Not at all. I just remember making a mistake several...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Are you saying that MC is posting here still? I haven't heard from him since he recorded that song about cat barf (or something like that).
    ...years ago about some of our MIAs, and one I mentioned responded and said he changed his moniker. I can't for the life of me remember who that was at this point, but I didn't want to make that same mistake.

So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...I don't share o2audio's sentiments. I suspect that due to the time of day 3LB posted, it was either because he was bored or he was a bit tipsy and got nostalgic.
    In my comment on the reason for deleting my reply was specifically that...the reason for deleting my own reply...not that no one cares about the whole thread...just that no one cares if I post my three favorite CDs on a five-year-old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...the names of so many who no longer visit RR... Over 50, but he hasn't been around in years...
    He was posting as Over50 back in '01, so he should prolly change his moniker to Pushing60

JDaniel posts a lot over at Audio Karma, which btw, is slower than this site really. JC's been around the last few months. But it is fun to see how hap'nin this place once was.

And yes, Rich, it was a tipsy trip down memory lane.

And yes Noob, its ok to post on an old thread.

dbi
    Is this concrete all around, or is it in my head? Oh brother you guessed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?
    Hey, why's everybody always picking on me? I haven't seen Ms. Nomer around for a long time. She was a funny old bird!

And didn't you used to go by something like To Live And Die In NY and talk a lot about the Goo Goo Dolls? Or was that someone else?

Oh yea, top 3 albums. Hmm, let's see, Listening right now to a 1993 Holland-made CD reissue of the classic Mink DeVille "Le Chat Bleu", and it sounds great, as does the import vinyl from way back when I first got it, so maybe that would be one. Savoir Faire, yea. And when I want to get lost for a long time, maybe have to go with Brian Eno and Harold Budd, and some Daniel Lanois too, for "The Pearl". Beautiful record, and that's what it is in this case. Never heard the CD, but might just have to look for one. And though I've really kind of worn it out over the many years, and though it does tend to remind me sadly that there is only one way to go after you reach the the top, Talking Heads "Remain In Light", which gives me an extra Eno pick as well
    Last edited by dbi; 01-18-2009 at 10:40 AM.

dbi
    Is this concrete all around, or is it in my head? Oh brother you guessed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    These are three I always enjoy:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
    The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    You indie kids and your flavors of the week! Imagine how embarassed you'll be 5 years down the line when the expire date is long passed. Oh, wait....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information