Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?
    Yeah, I was YECH.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Yeah, I was YECH.
    Good try but I don't think so.

Suspended
    Yeah this thread is old but so am I.

Three latest CDs in rotation would be

Marcus Miller Live and More
    Buckethead Electric Tears
    Adrian Belew Side Four Live

Hard to pick just those. I recently picked up some new, old , equipment and have been playing through my collection enjoying things all over again with better gear.

It is amazing what you get when you drop a Class A VAC tube pre amp that was $6500 new into the mix along with Synergistic Research cables.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hey 3LB...took you 8 years decide on Midlake, Spiraling, and It Bites???
    Math major, huh? (j/k)

I'm surprised to see my original response from 2003... not bad picks, actually. Good for me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Math major, huh? (j/k)

I'm surprised to see my original response from 2003... not bad picks, actually. Good for me.
    Glad someone caught my attempt at humor...

I wonder how different my top 3 must have looked back then? I've been exposed to sooo much more music since.

Nope. That wasn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by dbi
    Hey, why's everybody always picking on me? I haven't seen Ms. Nomer around for a long time. She was a funny old bird!

And didn't you used to go by something like To Live And Die In NY and talk a lot about the Goo Goo Dolls? Or was that someone else?

Oh yea, top 3 albums. Hmm, let's see, Listening right now to a 1993 Holland-made CD reissue of the classic Mink DeVille "Le Chat Bleu", and it sounds great, as does the import vinyl from way back when I first got it, so maybe that would be one. Savoir Faire, yea. And when I want to get lost for a long time, maybe have to go with Brian Eno and Harold Budd, and some Daniel Lanois too, for "The Pearl". Beautiful record, and that's what it is in this case. Never heard the CD, but might just have to look for one. And though I've really kind of worn it out over the many years, and though it does tend to remind me sadly that there is only one way to go after you reach the the top, Talking Heads "Remain In Light", which gives me an extra Eno pick as well
    I never used an different name on RR. Only in real life where I have numerous aliases to cover my tracks. And I detest the Goo Goo Dolls. Well, let's just say I don't care for them.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    funny, I saw the Goo Goo Dolls open for Gang Green at the Electric Banana Club in Pittsburgh...1987 I think. They were mohawked, spike-wearin' punkers then...least they looked and sounded like it. Now I guess I know they were poseurs.

dbi
    Is this concrete all around, or is it in my head? Oh brother you guessed...
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    funny, I saw the Goo Goo Dolls open for Gang Green at the Electric Banana Club in Pittsburgh...1987 I think. They were mohawked, spike-wearin' punkers then...least they looked and sounded like it. Now I guess I know they were poseurs.
    Yea, I heard they were much better in earlier days, I just never paid much attention. I was just razzin' ol Swish bout one of those members that has changed his name, long before your time, but here's an old thread of about the same starting vintage as this one we're in right now ... might be good for a chuckle ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9B804.php

I’ve changed my hairstyle so many times now, I don’t know what I look like

Forum Regular

Top 3

Hi well you can't go past SACD unless you can guarantee an excellent recorded CD.

1.Dire Straits (20th Anniversary SACD) - Mark Knopfler himself remixed the entire album
    in 5.1 Digital Surround sound. All the tracks playback suburb. If you're a Straits fan, you
    are doing yourself a disservice by not trying this disc out.

2. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds SACD - the playback again... outstanding. I waited
    29 years for Jeff to come to my part of Australia and the performace is probably better
    than anything else I'll ever see, Live, in my lifetime. This SACD can only be beaten by
    the perfect Live performance. There are many tracks to choose from depending on your
    mood, as it's 2 discs, but not very many songs.

3. Zero7 - Simply Things. Some vocal, this artist has done several albums to date.
    This one, you have to listen to it and you either like this type of music, or not.
    Definately can pass as a chill-out album.

I'm keeping this list as Americanised as possible, because most of my favourites
    are from a Germal label which now no longer in syndicate. If anyone is seeking
    the best is ambient, very out there, different music, contact me.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Well...ahem...I've used a few aliases on this board. I started out as TA, then settled on 3-LockBox, but did use variations on a theme. I've posted as 3LB, and when I was looking through the archives' link that Davy provided, I realized that I was posting under the moniker #LB for awhile too. Love those archives - the 4 and 5 page discussions we used to get into...about any and everything. I think we've now official lamented this site's demise for longer than its heyday existed. Pity.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Yeah this thread is old but so am I.
    That's not all you are, eh?
    My 1st Certification!..........(OT)

....hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    It is amazing what you get when you drop a Class A VAC tube pre amp that was $6500 new into the mix along with Synergistic Research cables.
    VAC makes some of the nicest gear out there, period. That's gotta be presenting the old stuff in a fresh, new light. Nice work.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular

Still Alive and Well

Hello to all my old friends...............I know sometimes, it's kinda hard to tell but I'm still alive and well.

I have not had an e-mail telling me about any posts to old threads in forever........and suddenly this one pops up.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Suspended
    That's not all you are, eh?
    My 1st Certification!..........(OT)

....hehehehe

VAC makes some of the nicest gear out there, period. That's gotta be presenting the old stuff in a fresh, new light. Nice work.
    I cringed while clicking the link not knowing where it would take me. I was thinking it was where we all posted pictures years ago. That certification still stands and I'm proud of it!

Yes the VAC pre amp is quite an eye opener. I don't even have the correct tubes in place yet. The new ones should be here any day now. The Counterpoint NPS-400 that came with the package has a blown channel. I need to get hold of the schematic somewhere in order to get it fixed, I'm also enjoying the Clearfield Continental speakers by Von Schwiekert in the mix while trying to sell them. I have yet to drop the Danes back in the mix since I set it all up.

The Synergistic cables are also quite a difference maker, specially the Signature2 speaker cables.

You're telling me. I'm still kicking myself on a daily basis for selling my Avatar SE. I will not rest until I get it back (or better yet a Renaissance 30/30).
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Hello to all my old friends...............I know sometimes, it's kinda hard to tell but I'm still alive and well.

I have not had an e-mail telling me about any posts to old threads in forever........and suddenly this one pops up.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.
    Well, look at what the cat dragged in! Where've you been? How are you? I've missed you around here.

Forum Regular
    Hello FA.................I have missed the old board............as in the very active board we had here years ago.

Went up to Chicago last year to catch the Dream Theater show.........still amazing.

Spinning INFLUENCE (Shaw / Blades) as we speak.

Hope you are well..............hey...........has it been a little cold up there this year ?

Hello FA.................I have missed the old board............as in the very active board we had here years ago.

Went up to Chicago last year to catch the Dream Theater show.........still amazing.

Spinning INFLUENCE (Shaw / Blades) as we speak.

Hope you are well..............hey...........has it been a little cold up there this year ?
    Well, it's Canada you know so we expect it to be cold. We had record rain fall last summer and we've had record snow fall so far this winter. Today will be about 2C which is downright balmy for this time of year. But the temps are supposed to drop to -18 by this evening. So, yes, it's c-c-c-c-cold.

Was that DT show the Prog Nation tour, with Opeth and Three? I really wanted to see that tour but they didn't come here.

Forum Regular
    That is crazy-cold. I'm playing golf this weekend with a projection of 45 degrees (F) and sunny.............missed only one weekend this winter !

The Chicago show was August, 2007...........Systematic Chaos..........awesome.
    Had a couple of metal bands for openers that I ignored.........preferred the cash bar !

That is crazy-cold. I'm playing golf this weekend with a projection of 45 degrees (F) and sunny.............missed only one weekend this winter !

The Chicago show was August, 2007...........Systematic Chaos..........awesome.
    Had a couple of metal bands for openers that I ignored.........preferred the cash bar !
    Well that's just not fair! We're going to have to wait until we're on vacation in April before we can actually play a course. Although, 45F still sounds a bit cold to be golfing. That's only 10 degrees F more than it is here today. A lot of the hilly golf courses around here double as ski hills in the winter

If those metal bands were Opeth and Three, you should have listened. Both are excellent.

Suspended
    79 degrees yesterday, about 70 today. I'm just sayin'.

I get e-mails from Ticketmaster for upcoming events, including concerts, and I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be if DT did some dates here in the D/FW area.

A co-worker is looking into tickets for an upcoming Derek Trucks show at an old art-deco theater called the Granada, close to downtown. Derek is the son of Butch Trucks of The Allman Bros. Band, and when I watched Derek in a concert on HDNET, his guitar playing skills blew me away. Should be a good show in an intimate setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...... I watched Derek in a concert on HDNET, his guitar playing skills blew me away. Should be a good show in an intimate setting.
    I watched this show too but wasn't "blown away" like you where. It was a good show but nuttin' to write home 'bout. Sorry Rich.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular

There are so many . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommc
    What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection that you enjoy the most?
    However, here are three of my long-time favorites:

Mozart, Symphonies Nos. 35* and 41; Haydn, Symphony No. 104*; Leibowitz and Krips*; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD 016. My favorite Mozart symphonies in terrific performances and very well recorded, plus a very good Haydn 104.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...ctcategoryid=1

Brahms, Symphony No. 4*; Beethoven; Beethoven, Egmont Overture
    ; Reiner* and Leibowitz; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD 006. Best performance of Brahms 4th I have ever heard, in excellent sound.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...ctcategoryid=1

Mozart, Requiem (Suessmayr); Colin Davis; BBC Symphony Orchestra; John Alldis Choir; soloists. Philips 423 353-2. Very committed and lively performances, well-recorded. We will be performing this Good Friday this year, so I will be listening to this quite a lot to review the notes--I haven't performed in this work for a dozen years. One can actually follow the basses in the chorus, which is nice, too. I also have this on LP.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem...741582&sr=1-14

This recording is still available as part of a Philips Duo set.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Great-C...2741489&sr=1-4
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    FA:
    It was not Opeth -- I would have watched them.

Pat:
    Mozart's Requiem is so outstanding...........as well as foretelling.

Forum Regular
    FA:
    Golf @ sunny and 45 (with no wind) is not too bad. If it gets any colder, we have cart covers and butane heaters that sit in the cup-holders............keep a couple of golf balls near the heaters and keep rotating..........plus we're crazy so that helps too.

Rich:
    I used to live in DFW...........and while I did enjoy the golf and the weather there, it doesn't even come close to the golfing paradise we enjoy at Hot Springs Village, Arkansas.
    Sorry but it's true.

Suspended
    I've been to Hot Springs AK, but as a tourist. Golfing is not one of my pastimes, so D/FW's shortcomings from a golfing standpoint is irrelevant to me. The city excels in many other areas, especially in it's nightlife.

LDB, a lot of the music I listened to in the 70's included a steady diet of Allman Bros. I think Derek's guitar work was right on, and the songs, even Greg's vocals struck a nostalgic note on my heartstrings. It's good to see the old fav's back on the road doing their thing again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information