Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is spinning?

Say, I have a great idea. Why don't we all create a new thread that says "What is spinning". If enough of us create our own new thread, I mean like 50 of them, the original by Bernd will finally disappear from the first page and we won't have to see a kibillion pages of replies telling us what they are listening to at the moment.

Who's with me? (sigh)

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    What is spinning?
    Everything. The universe, I mean.

But since you asked

NP: Sparklehorse - Dreamt . . .
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Everything. The universe, I mean.

But since you asked

NP: Sparklehorse - Dreamt . . .
    I didn't want you to respond! I wanted you to start your own "What is spinning" thread, along with about a bazillion other Rave Rec'ers

Oh, you knew that and were just busying my balls.

Never mind,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

just busying my balls.

Never mind,
    Swish
    an enduring classic ,< doublesigh>
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Pity click.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Okay, I'll bite. What's spinning? "American Idiot" by Green Day, on a flat, black slab of plastic. I love LPs. CDs just don't do it for me. But, AI is a masterpiece in my opinion, whether on CD or LP.
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

What are you trying to achieve here? I'm kinda confused. Like some sort of a personal spinnography? So you can look at someones' musical taste and maybe ask some ideas or whatever?

Hmmmm that wouldnt be too bad, but our boss Eric doesnt usually responde to much suggestions.

Also, if you have like 0ver 100+ whats spinning deally, that'll be kinda pain in the ass wouldn't it?

What's spinning?

"My Head" from Lack of Sleep.

-JRA

Say, I have a great idea. Why don't we all create a new thread that says "What is spinning". If enough of us create our own new thread, I mean like 50 of them, the original by Bernd will finally disappear from the first page and we won't have to see a kibillion pages of replies telling us what they are listening to at the moment.

Who's with me? (sigh)

Swish
    Hey Swish,

Is it April Fools already!

What is spinning ? At the moment - My Head.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

What am I trying to achieve? Well, for one thing, don't..

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    What are you trying to achieve here? I'm kinda confused. Like some sort of a personal spinnography? So you can look at someones' musical taste and maybe ask some ideas or whatever?
    -JRA
    ...take me too seriously. Bernd's original "What's Spinning" post was about as mundane as it gets. Not that it was a bad idea, but he was just asking an innocent question to which it seems nobody can stop replying. I've seen some really interesting threads in the 6+ years I've been visiting here and never saw one get more than a thousand or so hits, tops. And Bernd's gets over 11 thou? It's insane and time to put it our to pasture. My plea is to move and and let it die. Does it matter in the long run? No, but for cryin' out loud people, can we just move on please?

This will probably have the opposite effect, and I'll probably have to be institutionalized if I have to see it near the top of the opening page every day for the foreseeable future.

Swish - spinning out of control

Ha! You remembered that? Very kewl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Hey Swish,

Is it April Fools already!

What is spinning ? At the moment - My Head.

Peace

Bernd
    I was trying to put a stop to the madness all those months ago but prolly only added fuel to the fire. This is cracking me up. Literally!

Swish

I was trying to put a stop to the madness all those months ago but prolly only added fuel to the fire. This is cracking me up. Literally!

Swish
    Take some deep breath and have a lie down.

You are of course correct it was just a very simple (mundane) question. I must say I have picked up some great new tunes through that thread. Is it showing its age? I am not sure. I let others decide if it should be retired. I think it's a great starting point and introduction to RR for any newbie as it can get sometimes a bit heavy and anal around here.
    You are not by any chance an Officer of the "Thread Police" are you?

Have a good weekend

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I wanted you to start your own "What is spinning" thread, along with about a bazillion other Rave Rec'ers
    A bazillion other Rave Rec'ers? A BAZILLION? Geez, are there even a dozen people here any more?

As for what's spinning...lot's of stuff. I had a four hour drive yesterday with my iPod on shuffle. Four hours covered 48 songs. Somehow, I thought that I would get through more songs in that time. Although, some of them were prog, I guess that would skew the average length per song.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Sounds like a good idea...

OK, my new thread is about zydeco music. Man, I have been lovin' me some creole...wait a minnut...my new...a seperate?...We're gonna...I'm supposed to...this multi-thread stuff is confusin'

( just for the record, I'm not "busying your balls" )

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I like the thread. Great place to just go post about whatever you're listening to that you'd like to mention and its been a good thread to just kinda check in on and see if anyone's playing anythign you've been curious about or anything that you haven't pulled out in a while. Its not like anyone would start at the beginning and go through the whole thing, but to just click on every now and then, I like it.

I'm actually pretty confused why anyone would have a problem with it.

Just tired of seeing it, and tired of getting an e-mail...

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I like the thread. Great place to just go post about whatever you're listening to that you'd like to mention and its been a good thread to just kinda check in on and see if anyone's playing anythign you've been curious about or anything that you haven't pulled out in a while. Its not like anyone would start at the beginning and go through the whole thing, but to just click on every now and then, I like it.

I'm actually pretty confused why anyone would have a problem with it.
    ...each time someone responds to it. No need for confusion, I'm just mystified that after all these years, something as banal as "What is spinning" has been kept alive this long. I mean, how may other similar posts have there been? 50? 100? Prolly, but none has ever survived much more than a few weeks. And I;m not busting on Bernd for posting it because I've done much the same more than once.

Look, for those of you thinking I'm making a big deal of this, relax. Take it for what it is, have a stiff drink, and do whatever it is you do.

By the way Nobody, WTF is up with the Cardinals? I was actually hoping they would stumble weeks ago as opposed to putting me thru this torture. I just don't see them lasting very long in the playoffs is they manage to make it. Their pitching is too unreliable, both the starters and the relievers. Jason should be fine next year with the surgery, but for cryin' out loud they're killing me.

Swish

Post maybe you guys don't, but i do

i learn out of the 'what is spinning' thread, and regulary read it, so if it dissapears, and there are 50 of those threads, there will be confusion, and then we've got nothing, and btw, if you press the 'last page' button you will automatically be going to the last page of a thread.

Bert Hellemans aka Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

shedding light on mystification

I can only speak for myself, but I find the thread to be a great tool for midweek browsing. In the year that I have been here I have picked up a ton of stuff from the "Old school Rave Rec'ers". I've been pretty priveledged to have new titles and even new genres introduced by some of the "Tunesday" and recently "Americana" threads. That said, between work and social engagements and obligations and the rest of life, I don't always have the time to get cranking on a full-bore thread or critical examination of an album.
    A lot of times, for me, it's a way to stay connected during the busy times. I get new ideas and suggestions of older already owned material that fit the moment. Also, sometimes what I'm listening to might not merit a review/discussion. I seem to save most of my serious posting for the weekends. Just a perspective.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Swish, I don't think you understand what's going on. There were over 700 replies to "What's Spinning?" by about 5 guys and not ONE POST that said anything had STOPPED SPINNING!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is spinning?-spinning.jpg  

HA HA! Nice picture. And you're prolly right...

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Swish, I don't think you understand what's going on. There were over 700 replies to "What's Spinning?" by about 5 guys and not ONE POST that said anything had STOPPED SPINNING!!!
    ...I don't know WTF is going on. Never have, never will.

Swish

By the way Nobody, WTF is up with the Cardinals? I was actually hoping they would stumble weeks ago as opposed to putting me thru this torture. I just don't see them lasting very long in the playoffs is they manage to make it. Their pitching is too unreliable, both the starters and the relievers. Jason should be fine next year with the surgery, but for cryin' out loud they're killing me.

Swish
    I know lots of people would want to kick me out of the city for this, but the only time I notice there is baseball going on is when the traffic downtown comes to a standstill.

Only time I got at all into it was when I was working at 7-eleven and every 2nd guy coming in would wanna make small talk, starting with "who's winnin' the game?" After a couple months of responding with a blank stare and "what game?", I tried to at least pay minimal attention so as not to appear too much of an idiot.

Would like to go see the new stadium sometime just to check it out, but not sure if I wanna have to watch baseball to do it.

Who's with me? (sigh)

Swish

great idea, (sarcastic) when the original bernd dissapears, so will all the other topics in the rave rec forum and then we're back to off, cuz then, we have to read 50 pages and if all the threads get to page 2, we have to read a hunderd, which is 4 times more then we CAN read now.

Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Tired of getting the email? Then unsubscribe to the thread! It should be down near the bottom, under Thread Tools.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Tired of getting the email? Then unsubscribe to the thread! It should be down near the bottom, under Thread Tools.
    Yeah, that did seem like a pretty lame argument. Why would anyone subscribe to a thread anyway, especially one you didn't start? What's up with Swish Baby, anyway? Probably working too hard. Though it does seem a bit odd to visit a music discussion board and just type the name of an album, or worse, post an image, but seems to be done a lot on music boards, so not that unusual. But when there's only a few posts per day, why complain?

NP: Carina Round - The Disconnection (can't believe they stuck her with Glen Ballard for the new one, yuch )

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But when there's only a few posts per day, why complain?
    Because that is what Swishy's do. Kind of like how Tigger's bounce.

This great album:

and the wheels in my head about how to respond to the people in this thread that really need to lighten up.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information