Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    There are recievers on the market that offer class D amplification, 7.1 channels, a host of hook ups, and a USB pluggin for MP3 players, as well as flash memory chip slots, right on the front panel. I think I saw a Panasonic the other day with those features.

I don't do multichannel, so I'm not much help. Since you live in a space where you can't crank anyway, you should concern yourself with quality versus watts. Class D amplifiers are ink-black quiet and are very musical. I own a stereo 10 watt Class D amp and while it doesn't play as loud as my 100 watt Kenwood, it has superb sonics. I can easily discern between the two (midrange and treble is way better on the Class D) and you would be surprised how loud ten watts is, if its clean.

Anyhoo, here's a link you might find interesting:

http://www.bizrate.com/receivers/pan...areprices.html

The reciever's rating is 100 watts, but in reallity, I'd guess the usable, reasonable rating would be more like 20 watts at low distortion. But with a good source, that 20 watts is pretty amazing if it sounds anything like the class D's I've heard.

Yamaha is supposed to come out with receivers that have Ipod capatibility, but I haven't seen one yet. Its the Yamaha RX-V659.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 08-10-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Suspended
    Late to the show but whatever. I am using a Harman Kardon AVR635 for a second system for movies and videos. I still use my main system for audio and also use the pre-outs from the HK and feed my main front speakers via main(the HK can't drive them). Although this HK does not have direct iPod input you have workarounds. This is also a 7.1 receiver so you can use the last two channels to drive a set of speakers in another room and listen to something different. This is in no way even an entry level audiophile pc but it will fit your needs minus the iPod. I got it to be able to try out a Home Theater before dropping the bucks. Well, I am about to buy the Dynaudio 42s to match the front 82s. The center will come later. Matching the speakers is a good pc of advice. Sub can be whatever your comfortable with but for your space a good 10 inch can give good rumble. Use a good cable. The HK like most others lets you set up a supplied microphone on a tripod and auto tune the 5 or 7 channels. Looks cool if your getting tired of black.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/harman-kardo...202806056.html

Now I also like some of the other suggestions to go with a nice Integrated amp or quality receiver. Get one with pre out or A/B channels and hook up a sub for the occasional movie. With good fronts and a sup coupled with electronics a bit above mass market , set it up properly and find the sweet spot to sit in, you will hardly notice that there are no speakers behind you.

After I bought my 42" LCD with HD Tuner, I found more over the air digital and HD stations to watch, and once you have the big screen and watch a few movies with a 5.1 or 7.1 system, the bug just may bite you.

Until then, you can only imagine what it feels like to have 10,000 Orcs on the way to Helms Deep, stomping and grunting through your living room.

Hyfi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information